[simple_crumbs root="Home" /]
SMA Alliance Leadership Opportunities
The SMA Alliance invites you to join their energetic group of leaders working to make a difference in their communities, counties and states.
- National Doctors’ Day – in 1935 SMAA initiated the celebration of Doctors ‘Day, and in 1990 was instrumental in procuring the proclamation by President George Bush of March 30 as National Doctors’ Day. SMAA continues to support and encourage its members to promote its observance through community projects, reminding the public of doctors’ dedication to the health and welfare of patients and to increase awareness of the positive role of physicians within their communities.
- Health Education – Through a promotion of Healthy Lifestyles for all, the SMA Alliance seeks to address key health issues through local and statewide campaigns aimed at prevention techniques and to promote the importance of the individual’s role in managing his or her own health, with particular focus on the health education areas of Breast Cancer, Osteoporosis, and Women’s Heart Health.
- Medical Heritage – SMA Alliance members actively research, document, and archive the many achievements of Southern physicians – making this the only group systematically researching and recording the Southern history of medicine with the ultimate goal to preserve medical history and to recognize significant contributors in the field of medicine.
- SMA Research and Education Fund – Each year the SMA Alliance sponsors several fund-raising events and programs to benefit the SMA Research and Education Endowment Fund. Over a million dollars has been raised to date for this program which supports medical students through scholarships and research grants.
- Annual Conference – The Alliance meets each year during the SMA Annual Fall Conference. Alliance attendees enjoy a comprehensive schedule of meetings and activities including, educational and enrichment programs, project exhibiting opportunities and awards, peer interaction, and much more.
- Grass Roots Committee Positions – The SMA Alliance committees work to support the SMA Alliance Mission and Goals. There are no tenure requirements. Participation on an SMA Alliance committee provides direct involvement and immediate influence in the governance of the SMA Alliance and more importantly, individual communities.