The first Doctors’ Day observance was held on March 30, 1933, by the Barrow County Alliance, in Winder, Georgia. The idea of setting aside a day to honor physicians has since become a reality. Hospitals and practices across the United States honor their physicians on March 30 in a myriad of ways. Honor a physician or physicians on March 30 with a gift of any number of great recognition items available through the SMA Alliance Doctors’ Day Store or utilize some of the suggestions below. Whatever you choose, make sure and celebrate Doctors’ Day with your physician.
Remind the public of doctors’ dedication to the health and welfare of their patients by promoting the observance of Doctors’ Day within the community.
- Advertisements/Awareness campaigns – newspaper articles, radio, posters, billboards, banner signs, facebook
- Sponsor a school event – Visit schools and provide coloring pages or sponsor art contests recognizing doctors
- Place tray cards on hospital patient breakfast trays
Sponsor a Community Service Project
- Blood Drives, Health Fairs, Patient Screenings, etc
- Sponsor an event for local foster or other children
- Get local businesses involved as sponsors
- Host a Fun Run/Walk with a medical theme
- Hold a Classic Car Show, Carnival, or Concert event
Directly honor a physician or group of physicians
- Host a Recognition Event for local physicians (Luncheon, Dinner, Barbeque, Crawfish Boil, etc.)
- Send cards, balloons, etc. to local physicians
- Display Appreciation items and/or food in physician lounges
- Hold a “Family Fun Night” for local medical families
- Hold a raffle event or silent auction
- Raise funds and make a charitable donation in honor of local physicians
- Request city, county or state proclamations recognizing Doctors’ Day within the community
- Plant a tree, provide a bench, or children’s equipment in a local park
The items below and many more are available in the official SMA Alliance Doctors' Day store to assist with whatever your plans you make for your Celebration of Doctors' Day.