Membership in the SMA Alliance is open to all spouses of physicians, physicians, medical students and residents. Founded in 1924 to promote and preserve the art and science of medicine, the SMA Alliance focuses year-round on health education, preservation of medical history, and observance of National Doctors’ Day through community service activities. The Alliance continues to organize efforts to develop meaningful programs for the spouses of SMA members and to support SMA in pursuit of its mission and goals.
Membership in the Alliance is not only a forum for personal and professional development, but more importantly, it is an opportunity to establish ties among medical families in order to support and encourage one another in these challenging times.
The $40 annual member fee helps to support the community service projects of the Alliance and to offset costs associated with its continued administration.
The overall Mission of the SMAA is:
- To serve families and communities through programs designed to improve health and well being; to preserve the history of medicine and recognize the physicians who practice it;
- To serve and support medical families;
- To provide a forum for education, service and camaraderie that empowers members to achieve both volunteer and professional goals; and
- To support the Southern Medical Association in pursuit of its mission and goals.
The goals of the SMAA are:
- To provide needed educational programs, training and information to its members;
- To recognize the significance of the profession of medicine through community service and educational projects;
- To preserve the history of medicine;
- To provide services and support to medical families by being a forum for the exchange of ideas and perspectives;
- To be an organization which consistently communicates a clearly defined identity; and
- To motivate active membership participation through the promotion of benefits and services to members and potential members.
Alliance Members may participate in the following areas of interest:
- National Doctors’ Day – in 1935 SMAA initiated the celebration of Doctors’ Day, and in 1990 was instrumental in procuring the proclamation by President George Bush of March 30 as National Doctors’ Day. SMAA continues to support and encourage its members to promote its observance through community projects, reminding the public of doctors’ dedication to the health and welfare of patients and to increase awareness of the positive role of physicians within their communities.
- Health Education – Through a promotion of Healthy Lifestyles for all, the SMA Alliance seeks to address key health issues through local and statewide campaigns aimed at prevention techniques and to promote the importance of the individual’s role in managing his or her own health, with particular focus on the health education areas of Breast Cancer, Osteoporosis, and Women’s Heart Health.
- Medical Heritage – SMA Alliance members actively research, document, and archive the many achievements of Southern physicians – making this the only group systematically researching and recording the Southern history of medice with the ultimate goal to preserve medical history and to recognize significant contributors in the field of medicine.
- SMA Research and Education Endowment Fund – Each year the SMA Alliance sponsors several fund-raising events and programs to benefit the SMA Research and Education Endowment Fund. Over a million dollars has been raised to date for this program which supports medical students through scholarships and research grants.
- Annual Conference – The Alliance meets each year during the SMA Annual Clinical & Governance Conference. Alliance attendees enjoy a comprehensive schedule of meetings and activities including, educational and enrichment programs, project exhibiting opportunities and awards, peer interaction, and much more.
- Family of Medicine Support
- Grass Roots Committee Positions – The SMA Alliance committees work to support the SMA Alliance Mission and Goals. There are no tenure requirements. Participation on an SMA Alliance committee provides direct involvement and immediate influence in the governance of the SMA Alliance and more importantly, individual communities.
For more information on becoming an SMA Alliance member, call Member Services (800) 423-4992 ext. 640 to speak to an Alliance Member Services Representative.
If you choose to print and mail the application, you may send it to SMA Alliance * 3500 Blue Lake Drive * Suite 360 * Birmingham, AL 35243.