Definition of Journal CME
Per the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), a journal-based CME activity includes the reading of an article (or adapted formats for special needs), a provider stipulated/learner directed phase (that may include reflection, discussion, or debate about the material contained in the article(s), and a requirement for the completion by the learner of a pre-determined set of questions or tasks relating to the content of the material as part of the learning process.
About SMJ CME
- The overall goal of the Southern Medical Journal CME Program is to provide physicians with convenient, quality continuing medical education. By providing this format, it is expected that participants will increase their knowledge about current advances in all fields of medicine and immediately apply this knowledge into practice in order to enhance patient outcomes.
- The Southern Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- The Southern Medical Association designates each journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit.™ Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Southern Medical Association’s journal-based CME program is open to all readers. Members of the Southern Medical Association may participate at a preferred rate; however, you need not be an SMA member or an SMJ subscriber to take part in this CME activity. Each CME activity should take approximately 1 hour to complete and includes:
- Full Text Article
- CME Test
- Learner Directed Paase
SMJ CME activities may be accessed in the following ways:
- Through the each issue’s online Table of Contents.
- CME articles are designated by a CME link adjacent to each article’s title. Click on the link at the conclusion of the article to access CME information and instructions.
- Visit SMA’s Education Center
- Select the CME activity through one of the interfaces described above.
- Log-in to the website, using your SMA username and password. If you are not an SMA member or have not previously registered with our website, you will be prompted to create a “free” account. Or, you may join SMA to receive member benefits, including reduced fees for SMJ CME.
- Browse and select the CME Journal Article, either by subject area, or delivery type, and place it in your shopping cart.
- Proceed to “check out” to complete your purchase, and pay the appropriate fee.
- Review the documentation information provided.
- Read the corresponding full-text article(s) associated with the selected CME activity in its entirety.
- After reading the article(s) in the activity, you can access the CME test by selecting the “Test” link provided on the activity contents page.
- Upon scoring 80% on the test, select the “Evaluate” link to evaluate the associated CME activity, and complete the learner directed phase. Filling out the evaluation form and completing the learner directed phase is required.
- Complete the affidavit.
- Upon completion of these steps, you may access a printable copy of your CME certificate. In addition, a CME certificate will be emailed to you for your records.
Should you have any questions regarding SMJ CME, please contact us at (800) 423-4992, ext. 620 or via email email@example.com.