2016 Prescribing Controlled Substances: Rules, Regulations and Risks
Price: $75 | Credits: 4
Goals and Objectives
This activity is intended for Physicians, Advanced Practice Nurses and Physician Assistants who are required to obtain CME Credits related to the prescribing of medications with an emphasis on controlled substances. Although this course will fulfill most state requirements, we strongly recommended you to contact your licensing board for approval.
The goal of this activity is to increase the learner’s knowledge and competence for decision making associated with controlled substance prescribing. Upon completion, the learner should be better prepared to:
- Discuss the epidemiology of addiction.
- Interpret the brain disease model of addiction.
- Describe the Physician Health Program (PHP) management of addictive disorders as a potential template for the management of patients with addictive disorders in the general population.
- Discuss the clinical uses of benzodiazepines.
- Compare the pharmacology and physiology of sedative hypnotics.
- Discuss toxicity and side effects.
- Describe trends in abuse and misuse of sedative-hypnotics.
- Employ the new mandates just released about prescribing opioids.
- Discuss the risks of prescribing opioids.
- Recognize how to minimize the risk of prescribing opioids.
- Discuss the importance of Collegiate Recovery Programs.
- Describe the intertwined relationship between prescription drugs and college students.
- Recognize societal pressures and perspectives when considering the use of amphetamines.
- Discuss the possible role of pharmaceutical and manufacturing strategies in advancing the use of their products.
- Consider future uses of amphetamines and similar compounds.
Note: This 4 hour activity consists of the following lectures which were recorded during SMA’s “Prescribing Controlled Substances” Conference held in June, 2016:
Collegiate Addiction: The Importance of Recovery Programs, Blake Schneider, MA
Amphetamines: History, Use and Misuse, and Societal Influence, Dr. Mark Williams
Opioid Prescribing Pearls: How to Avoid Obvious Ptifalls & Use Appropriately, Dr. John Mutziger
Addictive Disorders: Management Principles and MPHP Approach, Dr. Scott Hambleton
Sedative-Hypnotics: Their Use and Misuse, Dr. John Mutziger
CME Release Date: August 12th, 2016
Valid for credit through: August 12th, 2017
Course type: Video lecture
Sponsored in part by: SMA Services, Inc.
Southern Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Southern Medical Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 4.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
For information on applicability and acceptance of continuing education credit for this activity, please consult your professional licensing board. All healthcare professionals who are not MDs or DOs will receive a certificate of participation.
Instructions for Participation and Credit
This activity is designed to be completed within the time designated; learners should claim only those credits that reflect the time actually spent in the activity. To successfully earn credit, participants must complete the activity online during the valid credit period noted, following these steps:
- Read the goals and objectives, accreditation information, and author disclosures.
- Study the educational content and references.
- Online, choose the best answer to each test question. To receive a certificate, you must receive a passing score of 80%.
- Complete the activity evaluation and attestation.
Upon completion of the evaluation and attestation, your certificate will be processed and emailed within 2 weeks. Credits will be archived for 6 years; at any point within this time period you can contact Southern Medical Association for a duplicate copy of your credit.
This content is limited to qualifying members. Please click on an option below to view in full. Click here to compare all member plans.
Silver/Gold members login for full access. Other members login to view purchase options.
Create a new complimentary account/login to view purchase options.