Ingestion of Angel's Trumpet: An increasingly Common Source of Toxicity
AbstractABSTRACT: Angel's trumpet is a hallucinogenic plant commonly cultivated as an ornamental in the southeastern United States. Consumption of any part of the plant may result in severe anticholinergic toxicity. In past years, toxicity has largely resulted from accidental ingestion, but in 1994 there was a ten-fold increase in the number of reported ingestions throughout the state of Florida, largely by persons experimenting with the plant for its hallucinogenic effects. We report three such cases and review the literature on diagnosis, treatment, and sequelae of angel's trumpet intoxication.
This content is limited to qualifying members.
If you have an existing account please login now to access this article or view your purchase options.
Create a free account, then purchase this article to download or access it online for 24 hours.
Create a free account, then purchase a subscription to get complete access to all articles for a full year.