1. Chiang DJ, Pritchard MT, Nagy LE. Obesity, diabetes mellitus, and liver fibrosis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2011;300:G697–G702.
2. Cavalera M, Wang J, Frangogiannis NG. Obesity, metabolic dysfunction, and cardiac fibrosis: pathophysiological pathways, molecular mechanisms, and therapeutic opportunities. Transl Res 2014;164:323–335.
3. Rutherford A, Glass DA 2nd. A case-control study analyzing the association of keloids with hypertension and obesity. Int J Dermatol 2017;56:e187–e189.
4. Raghu G, Remy-Jardin M, Myers JL, et al. Diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. An official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT clinical practice guideline. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2018;198:e44–e68.
5. Salisbury ML, Tolle LB, Xia M, et al. Possible UIP pattern on high-resolution computed tomography is associated with better survival than definite UIP in IPF patients. Respir Med 2017;131:229–235.
6. Snyder L, Neely ML, Hellkamp AS, et al. Predictors of death or lung transplant after a diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: insights from the IPF-PRO Registry. Respir Res 2019;20:105.
7. Wynn TA. Common and unique mechanisms regulate fibrosis in various fibroproliferative diseases. J Clin Invest 2007;117:524–529.
8. Sun K, Tordjman J, Clement K, et al. Fibrosis and adipose tissue dysfunction. Cell Metab 2013;18:470–477.
9. Gui X, Chen H, Cai H, et al. Leptin promotes pulmonary fibrosis development by inhibiting autophagy via PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2018;498:660–666.
10. Hsu HS, Liu CC, Lin JH, et al. Involvement of ER stress, PI3K/AKT activation, and lung fibroblast proliferation in bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis. Sci Rep 2017;7:14272.
11. Park YH, Oh EY, Han H, et al. Insulin resistance mediates high-fat diet-induced pulmonary fibrosis and airway hyperresponsiveness through the TGF-beta1 pathway. Exp Mol Med 2019;51:1–12.
12. Adegunsoye A, Balachandran J. Inflammatory response mechanisms exacerbating hypoxemia in coexistent pulmonary fibrosis and sleep apnea. Mediators Inflamm 2015;2015:510105.
13. Alakhras M, Decker PA, Nadrous HF, et al. Body mass index and mortality in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Chest 2007;131:1448–1453.
14. Jouneau S, Rousseau C, Lederlin M, et al. Low fat-free mass and body mass index are associated with worse survival in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). Eur Resp J 2019;54(suppl 63):PA1337.
15. Mogulkoc N, Uysaler B, Bishop P. Does body mass index influence survival of patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis? Eur Resp J 2018;52(suppl 62): PA2914.
16. Patel S, Nolan C, Barker R, et al. Body composition and mortality in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF): a prospective cohort study. Eur Resp J 2018;52(suppl 62):PA2056.
18. Albera C, Costabel U, Fagan EA, et al. Efficacy of pirfenidone in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis with more preserved lung function. Eur Respir J 2016;48:843–851.
19. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Clinical Research Network, Raghu G, Anstrom KJ, et al. Prednisone, azathioprine, and N-acetylcysteine for pulmonary fibrosis. N Engl J Med 2012;366:1968–1977.
20. Kolb M, Richeldi L, Behr J, et al. Nintedanib in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and preserved lung volume. Thorax 2017;72:340–346.
21. Harris PA, Taylor R, Thielke R, et al. Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support. J Biomed Inform 2009;42:377–381.
23. Zammit C, Liddicoat H, Moonsie I, et al. Obesity and respiratory diseases. Int J Gen Med 2010;3:335–343.
24. Jo HE, Glaspole I, Grainge C, et al. Baseline characteristics of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: analysis from the Australian Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Registry. Eur Resp J 2017;49:1601592.
25. Alhamad EH. Clinical characteristics and survival in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and connective tissue disease-associated usual interstitial pneumonia. J Thorac Dis 2015;7:386–393.
26. Kelly BT, Moua T. Overlap of interstitial pneumonia with autoimmune features with undifferentiated connective tissue disease and contribution of UIP to mortality. Respirology 2018;23:600–605.
27. Migita K, Arai T, Jiuchi Y, et al. Predictors of mortality in patients with interstitial lung disease treated with corticosteroids: results from a cohort study. Medicine (Baltimore) 2014;93:e175.
28. Hunninghake GW, Zimmerman MB, Schwartz DA, et al. Utility of a lung biopsy for the diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001;164:193–196.
29. Oldham JM, Noth I. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: early detection and referral. Respir Med 2014;108:819–829.
30. Dixon AE, Peters U. The effect of obesity on lung function. Expert Rev Respir Med 2018;12:755–767.
31. Bernhardt V, Babb TG. Exertional dyspnoea in obesity. Eur Respir Rev 2016;25:487–495.
32. Sin DD, Jones RL, Man SF. Obesity is a risk factor for dyspnea but not for airflow obstruction. Arch Intern Med 2002;162:1477–1481.
33. Abdelaal M, le Roux CW, Docherty NG. Morbidity and mortality associated with obesity. Ann Transl Med 2017;5:161.
34. Gries CJ, Bhadriraju S, Edelman JD, et al. Obese patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis have a higher 90-day mortality risk with bilateral lung transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant 2015;34:241–246.
35. Lambert AA, Putcha N, Drummond MB, et al. Obesity is associated with increased morbidity in moderate to severe COPD. Chest 2017;151:68–77.
36. Celli BR, Cote CG, Marin JM, et al. The body-mass index, airflow obstruction, dyspnea, and exercise capacity index in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 2004;350:1005–1012.
37. Courtney JM, Bradley J, McCaughan J, et al. Predictors of mortality in adults with cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol 2007;42:525–532.
38. Aune D, Sen A, Prasad M, et al. BMI and all cause mortality: systematic review and non-linear dose-response meta-analysis of 230 cohort studies with 3.74 million deaths among 30.3 million participants. BMJ 2016;353:i2156.
39. Elagizi A, Kachur S, Lavie CJ, et al. An overview and update on obesity and the obesity paradox in cardiovascular diseases. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 2018;61:142–150.
40. Spelta F, Fratta Pasini AM, Cazzoletti L, et al. Body weight and mortality in COPD: focus on the obesity paradox. Eat Weight Disord 2018;23:15–22.
41. Papagianni M, Tziomalos K. Effects of obesity on the outcome of pneumonia. Expert Rev Endocrinol Metab 2017;12:315–320.
42. Zafrir B, Adir Y, Shehadeh W, et al. The association between obesity, mortality and filling pressures in pulmonary hypertension patients; the "obesity paradox". Respir Med 2013;107:139–146.
43. Antonopoulos AS, Tousoulis D. The molecular mechanisms of obesity paradox. Cardiovasc Res 2017;113:1074–1086.
44. Culver DA, Behr J, Belperio JA, et al. Patient registries in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2019;200:160–167.
46. Olson AL, Swigris JJ. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: diagnosis and epidemiology. Clin Chest Med 2012;33:41–50.
47. Baumgartner KB, Samet JM, Stidley CA, et al. Cigarette smoking: a risk factor for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Me 1997;155:242–248.
48. Culver D, Yow E, Neely M, et al. Characteristics of patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) in the US: data from the IPF-PRO Registry. Chest 2018;154:397A–398A.
49. Guenther A, Krauss E, Tello S, et al. The European IPF registry (eurIPFreg): baseline characteristics and survival of patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respir Res 2018;19:141.
50. Jo HE, Glaspole I, Grainge C, et al. Baseline characteristics of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: analysis from the Australian Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Registry. Eur Respir J 2017;49:1601592.
51. Caminati A, Lonati C, Cassandro R, et al. Comorbidities in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: an underestimated issue. Eur Respir Rev 2019;28:190044.