1. Eastridge BJ, Hardin M, Cantrell J, et al. Died of wounds on the battlefield: causation and implications for improving combat casualty care. J Trauma 2011;71(suppl 1):S4-S8.
2. Eastridge BJ, Mabry RL, Seguin P, et al. Death on the battlefield (2001-2011): implications for the future of combat casualty care. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2012;73(6 suppl 5):S431-S437.
4. ATLS Subcommittee American College of Surgeons’ Committee on Trauma International ATLS Working Group. Advanced trauma life support (ATLS): the ninth edition. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2013;74:1363-1366.
5. De Lorenzo RA. Medic for the millennium: the U.S. Army 91W health care specialist. Mil Med 2001;166:685-688.
6. Pappas CG. The Ranger medic. Mil Med 2001;166:394-400.
7. Deakin CD, King P, Thompson F. Prehospital advanced airway management by ambulance technicians and paramedics: is clinical practice sufficient to maintain skills? Emerg Med J 2009;26:888-891.
8. Mabry RL. An analysis of battlefield cricothyrotomy in Iraq and Afghanistan. J Spec Oper Med 2012;12:17-23.
9. Adams BD, Cuniowski PA, Muck A, et al. Registry of emergency airways arriving at combat hospitals. J Trauma 2008;64:1548-1554.
10. Mabry RL, Frankfurt A. Advanced airway management in combat casualties by medics at the point of injury: a sub-group analysis of the reach study. J Spec Oper Med 2011;11:16-19.
11. Mabry RL, Nichols MC, Shiner DC, et al. A comparison of two open surgical cricothyroidotomy techniques by military medics using a cadaver model. Ann Emerg Med 2014;63:1-5.
12. Blackburn MB, April MD, Brown DJ, et al. Prehospital airway procedures performed in trauma patients by ground forces in Afghanistan. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2018;85(1 suppl 2):S154-S160.
13. Schauer SG, Naylor JF, Oliver JJ, et al. An analysis of casualties presenting to military emergency departments in Iraq and Afghanistan. Am J Emerg Med 2018; pii: S0735-6757(18)30363-2.
14. Glenn MA, Martin KD, Monzon D, et al. Implementation of a combat casualty trauma registry. J Trauma Nurs 2008;15:181-184.
15. Oɼ KM, Littleton-Kearney MT, Bridges E, et al. Evaluating the Joint Theater Trauma Registry as a data source to benchmark casualty care. Mil Med 2012;177:546-552.
17. Kotwal RS, Montgomery HR, Kotwal BM, et al. Eliminating preventable death on the battlefield. Arch Surg 2011;146:1350-1358.
18. Lairet JR, Bebarta VS, Burns CJ, et al. Prehospital interventions performed in a combat zone: a prospective multicenter study of 1,003 combat wounded. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2012;73(2 suppl 1):S38-S42.
19. Cobas MA, De la Pena MA, Manning R, et al. Prehospital intubations and mortality: a level 1 trauma center perspective. Anesth Analg 2009;109:489-493.
20. Benoit JL, Gerecht RB, Steuerwald MT, et al. Endotracheal intubation versus supraglottic airway placement in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: a meta-analysis. Resuscitation 2015;93:20-26.
21. Bennett BL, Cailteux-Zevallos B, Kotora J. Cricothyroidotomy bottom-up training review: battlefield lessons learned. Mil Med 2011;176:1311-1319.
22. Gerhardt RT, Berry JA, Blackbourne LH. Analysis of life-saving interventions performed by out-of-hospital combat medical personnel. J Trauma 2011;71(suppl 1):S109-S113.
23. Barnard EB, Ervin AT, Mabry RL, et al. Prehospital and en route cricothyrotomy performed in the combat setting: a prospective, multicenter, observational study. J Spec Oper Med 2014;14:35-39.
24. Schauer SG, Bellamy MA, Mabry RL, et al. A comparison of the incidence of cricothyrotomy in the deployed setting to the emergency department at a level 1 military trauma center: a descriptive analysis. Mil Med 2015;180(suppl 3):60-63.
25. McGill J, Clinton JE, Ruiz E. Cricothyrotomy in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 1982;11:361-364.
26. Nugent WL, Rhee KJ, Wisner DH. Can nurses perform surgical cricothyrotomy with acceptable success and complication rates? Ann Emerg Med 1991;20:367-370.
27. Spaite DW, Joseph M. Preshospital cricothyrotomy: sn investigation of indications, technique, complications, and patient outcome. Ann Emerg Med 1990;19:279-285.
28. Schauer SG, April MD, Cunningham CW, et al. Prehospital cricothyrotomy kits used in combat. J Spec Oper Med 2017;17:18-20.
29. Zobrist B, Casmaer M, April MD. Single rescuer ventilation using a bag-valve mask with internal handle: a randomized crossover trial. Am J Emerg Med 2016;34:1991-1996.
30. Amack AJ, Barber GA, Ng PC, et al. Comparison of ventilation with one-handed mask seal with an intraoral mask versus conventional cuffed face mask in a cadaver model: a randomized crossover trial. Ann Emerg Med 2017;69:12-17.
31. Schauer SG, Kester NM, Fernandez JD, et al. A randomized, cross-over, pilot study comparing the standard cricothyrotomy to a novel trochar-based cricothyrotomy device. Am J Emerg Med 2018;36:1706-1708.
32. Reed P, Zobrist B, Casmaer M, et al. Single rescuer ventilation using a bag valve mask with removable external handle: a randomized crossover trial. Prehosp Disaster Med 2017;32:625-630.
33. Rush S, Boccio E, Kharod CU, et al. Evolution of pararescue medicine during Operation Enduring Freedom. Mil Med 2015;180(suppl 3):68-73.
34. Pugh HE, LeClerc S, Mclennan J. A review of pre-admission advanced airway management in combat casualties, Helmand Province 2013. J R Army Med Corps 2015;161:121-126.
35. Gao M, Rejaei D, Liu H. Ketamine use in current clinical practice. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2016;37:865-872.
36. Rech MA, Barbas B, Chaney W, et al. When to pick the nose: out-of-hospital and emergency department intranasal administration of medications. Ann Emerg Med 2017;70:203-211.
37. Adnet F, Le Moyec L, Smith CE, et al. Stability of succinylcholine solutions stored at room temperature studied by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Emerg Med J 2007;24:168-169.
39. Schauer SG, April MD, Naylor JF, et al. A descriptive analysis of data from the Department of Defense Joint Trauma System Prehospital Trauma Registry. US Army Med Dep J 2017;(3-17):92-97.
40. Kaji AH, Schriger D, Green S. Looking through the retrospectoscope: reducing bias in emergency medicine chart review studies. Ann Emerg Med 2014;64:292-298.
41. Robinson JB, Smith MP, Gross KR, et al. Battlefield documentation of tactical combat casualty care in Afghanistan. US Army Med Dep J 2016;(2â):87-94.