Colonel Joseph Brennan, MDPlease welcome SMA member Colonel Joseph Brennan, MD, FACS.  Dr. Brennan is currently located at the San Antonio Military Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas as Chief, Department of Surgery, and Professor of Surgery, at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.

Dr. Brennan recently participated in SMA’s member spotlight feature and here is what he had to say:

1.  Since graduating from fellowship and residency training at civilian institutions, I have practiced in a military setting for the past 20 years.  The most enjoyable part of my practice is caring for the young men and women who comprise less than 1% of the US population but chose to serve their country and protect the remaining 99%.  Most importantly, caring for our wounded warriors is the greatest honor that I have had in my long military career and I would enjoy seeing Pulse articles featuring physicians serving their country.

The biggest changes and challenges we currently face in military medicine are dealing with the budget decreases that have resulted from sequestration.

2.  The "fun" thing about me is that I collect "old West" and "Texas" antiques and firearms.  I am also a city boy from Elizabeth, NJ, who has a 40-acre Texas ranch where I raise and sell cattle.

3.  My wife, Pam, is a lactation consultant and we are the proud parents of five children.  Daniel, my oldest boy, is a Notre Dame graduate who currently serves as an infantry Lieutenant in the Marine Corps and leads a rifle platoon.  My second son, Joseph, is a junior at Harvard.  My third son, Liam, is a freshman at Duke.  My fourth boy, Brendan, is a freshman at Boerne TX Champion High School.  My youngest daughter, Leah, is in the 3rd grade at Kendall Creek Elementary School in Boerne, TX.

4. In my spare time, I like to collect the antiques I mentioned earlier and I also enjoy fishing, hunting, and swimming.

5.  I joined the Southern Medical Association because it is a prestigious organization that I have respected since I was a medical student in Boston in the 1980s.  In addition, the Southern Medical Journal is an outstanding journal with superb articles.  The SMJ Editor-in-Chief, COL (Dr.) G. Richard Holt, is a mentor of mine and one of the most outstanding surgeons/physicians that I have ever worked with.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be part of the Pulse.

 

Leave a Reply

s2Member®
SMA Menu