History of SMA

The Southern Medical Association was founded in 1906 as a scientific body of physicians dedicated to fostering the art and science of medicine through education. SMA Members’ commitment to multidisciplinary, interprofessional education has endured for over 100 years. Since that time, members have supported SMA’s mission through membership, donations, publishing, speaking, or directing educational programming. This support has been used to create thousands of hours of education, the publication of more than 46,000 scientific peer-reviewed journal articles in the Southern Medical Journal, and more than $3.5 million in financial support through scientific research grants, loans, and scholarships.

Martin (6)

H.H. Martin, MD
SMA's First President
1906-1907

cary (1)

Mrs. Edward H. Cary
SMAA's First President
1924-1925