Call for Nominees (Currently closed)
At the 1912 Annual Meeting, the SMA announced that it would create a new award in honor of Dr. Robert D. and Alma Moreton that recognized original research. At the Annual Meeting in 1961, the Executive Director announced the association was given a grant from a foundation in San Antonio to establish a commemorative entity honoring Dr. and Mrs. Moreton.
These two events are the basis for the Dr. Robert D. and Alma W. Moreton Research Award and Commemorative Lectureship. The Award and Lectureship will be reinstituted at the 2021 Annual Meeting and presented each year thereafter. The awardee/lecturer will be known for their accomplishments in clinical or basic medical research.
The physicians chosen for this award will address a topic germane to the challenges facing medical professionals seeking to improve the health of individuals or the population in the seventeen SMA States. The topic will be of interest to the broad range of medical specialties in the SMA membership.
- Call to members for nominations for the Moreton Research Award/Lectureship.
- Begins January of each year.
- Nominations close March 15.
- Nominations are submitted online.
- The SMA Education Committee votes for the award recipient.
- The award recipient accepts the Award and delivers a lecture in the area of his/her expertise at the SMA Annual Meeting.