1. Hsu C-Y, McCullough CE, Curhan GC. Epidemiology of anemia associated with chronic renal insufficiency among adults in the United States: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Am Soc Nephrol 2002;13:504–510.
2. Jungers P, Choukroun G, Oualim Z, et al. Beneficial influence of recombinant human erythropoietin therapy on the rate of progression of chronic renal failure in predialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant2001;16:307–312.
3. Fink JC, Blahut SA, Reddy M, et al. Use of erythropoietin before the initiation of dialysis and its impact on mortality. Am J Kidney Dis 2001;37:348–355.
4. Gouva C, Nikolopoulos P, Ioannidis JP, et al. Treating anemia early in renal failure patients slows the decline of renal function: a randomized controlled trial. Kidney Int 2004;66:753–760.
5. Lu WX, Jones-Burton C, Zhan M, et al. Survival benefit of recombinant human erythropoietin administration prior to onset of end-stage renal disease: variations across surrogates for quality of care and time. Nephron Clin Pract 2005;101:c79–c86.
6. United States Renal Data System, USRDS 2005 Annual Data Report: Atlas of End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States, National Institutes of Health. Bethesda, MD, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, 2005.
8. National Kidney Foundation. Clinical practice guidelines and clinical practice recommendations for anemia in chronic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis 2006;47(suppl 3):S1–S146.
9. Henry DH, Bowers P, Romano MT, et al. Epoetin alfa: clinical evolution of a pleiotropic cytokine. Arch Intern Med 2004;164:262–276.
10. Berman HM, Westbrook J, Feng Z, et al. The Protein Data Bank. Nucleic Acids Res 2000;28:235–242.
11. National Kidney Foundation. K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease: evaluation, classification, and stratification Am J Kidney Dis. 2002;39(suppl 1):S1–S266.
12. Besarab A, Levin A. Defining a renal anemia management period. Am J Kidney Dis 2000;36(6 suppl 3):S13–S23.
13. McClellan W, Aronoff SL, Kline Bolton WK, et al. The prevalence of anemia in patients with chronic kidney disease. Curr Med Res Opin 2004;20:1501–1510.
14. Kazmi WH, Kausz AT, Khan S, et al. Anemia: an early complication of chronic renal insufficiency.Am J Kidney Dis 2001;38:803–812.
15. Collins AJ. Anemia management prior to dialysis: cardiovascular and cost-benefit observations.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2003;18(Suppl 2):ii2–ii6.
16. Silverberg D, Wexler D. Anemia, the fifth major cardiovascular risk factor. Transfus Med Hemother2004;31:175–179.
17. Walker AM, Schneider G, Yeaw J, et al. Anemia as a predictor of cardiovascular events in patients with elevated serum creatinine. J Am Soc Nephrol 2006;17:2293–2298.
18. Sandgren PE, Murray AM, Herzog CA, et al. Anemia and new-onset congestive heart failure in the general medicare population. J Card Fail 2005;11:99–105.
19. Iaina A, Silverberg DS, Wexler D. Therapy insight: congestive heart failure, chronic kidney disease and anemia, the cardio-renal syndrome. Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 2005;2:95–100.
20. McClellan WM, Flanders WD, Langston RD, et al. Anemia and renal insufficiency are independent risk factors for death among patients with congestive heart failure admitted to county hospitals: a population-based study. J Am Soc Nephrol 2002;13:1928–1936.
21. Jurkovitz CT, Abramson JL, Vaccarino LV, et al. Association of high serum creatinine and anemia increases the risk of coronary events: results from the prospective community-based Atherosclerosis Risk In Communities (ARIC) study. J Am Soc Nephrol 2003;14:2919–2925.
22. Levin A, Thompson CR, Ethier J, et al. Left ventricular mass index increase in early renal disease: impact of decline in hemoglobin. Am J Kidney Dis 1999;34:125–134.
23. Kliger AS, Padilla N. Anemia in chronic kidney disease: clinical implications of early management.Dial Transplant 2003;32:179–185.
24. Hayashi T, Suzuki A, Shoji T, et al. Cardiovascular effect of normalizing the hematocrit level during erythropoietin therapy in predialysis patients with chronic renal failure. Am J Kidney Dis 2000;35:250–256.
25. Furuland H, Linde T, Sandhagen B, et al. Hemorheological and hemodynamic changes in predialysis patients after normalization of hemoglobin with epoetin-alpha. Scand J Urol Nephrol2005;39:399–404.
26. Besarab A, Bolton WK, Browne JK, et al. The effects of normal as compared with low hematocrit values in patients with cardiac disease who are receiving hemodialysis and epoetin. N Engl J Med1998;339:584–590.
27. Roger SD, McMahon LP, Clarkson A, et al. Effects of early and late intervention with epoetin alfa on left ventricular mass among patients with chronic kidney disease (stage 3 or 4): results of a randomized clinical trial. J Am Soc Nephrol 2004;15:148–156.
28. Parfrey PS, Foley RN, Wittreich BH, et al. Double-blind comparison of full and partial anemia correction in incident hemodialysis patients without symptomatic hear disease. J Am Soc Nephrol2005;16:2180–2189.
29. Drüeke TB, Locatelli F, Clyne N, et al. Normalization of hemoglobin in patients with chronic kidney disease and anemia. N Engl J Med 2006;355:2071–2084.
30. Ritz et al. XLII ERA/EDTA Congress; Abstract SO022. July 15–18, 2006, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
31. Singh AK, Szczech L, Tang KL, et al. Correction of anemia with epoetin alfa in chronic kidney disease. N Engl J Med 2006;355:2085–2098.
32. Stack AG. Impact of timing of nephrology referral and pre-ESRD care on mortality risk among new ESRD patients in the United States. Am J Kidney Dis 2003;41:310–318.
33. Foley RN, Murray AM, Li S, et al. Chronic kidney disease and the risk for cardiovascular disease, renal replacement, and death in the United States medicare population, 1998 to 1999. J Am Soc Nephrol 2005;16:489–495.
34. Xue JL, St Peter WL, Ebben JP, et al. Anemia treatment in the pre-ESRD period and associated mortality in elderly patients. Am J Kidney Dis 2002;40:1153–1161.
35. Li S, Foley RN, Collins AJ. Anemia, hospitalization, and mortality in patients receiving peritoneal dialysis in the United States. Kidney Int 2004;65:1864–1869.
36. Revicki DA, Brown RE, Feeny DH, Henry D, et al. Health-related quality of life associated with recombinant human erythropoietin therapy for predialysis chronic renal disease patients. Am J Kidney Dis 1995;25:548–554.
37. Epogen® (epoetin alfa) Product Insert. Amgen. Thousand Oaks, CA.
38. Procrit® (Epoetin alfa) Product Insert. Ortho Biotech Products. Raritan, NJ.
39. Eprex® (epoetin alfa) Product Insert. Janssen-Cilag, UK.
40. NeoRecormon® (Epoetin beta) Product Insert. Roche, UK.
41. Aranesp® (Darbepoetin alfa) Product Insert. Amgen. Thousand Oaks, CA.
42. Macdougall IC. CERA (continuous erythropoietin receptor activator): a new erythropoiesis-stimulating agent for the treatment of anemia. Curr Hematol Rep 2005;4:436–440.
43. Woodburn KW, Fan Q, Leuther KK, et al. Preclinical evaluation of Hematide™, a novel erythropoietic receptor agonist for the treatment of anemia caused by kidney disease. Blood (ASH annual meeting abstracts) 2004;104:2904.
44. Ling B, Walczyk M, Agarwal A, et al. Darbepoetin alfa administered once monthly maintains hemoglobin concentrations in patients with chronic kidney disease. Clin Nephrol 2005;63:327–334.
45. Sengolge G, Horl WH, Sunder-Plassmann G. Intravenous iron therapy: well-tolerated, yet not harmless. Eur J Clin Invest. 2005;35(Suppl 3):46–51.
46. Puntarulo S. Iron, oxidative stress, and human health. Mol Aspects Med 2005;26:299–312.
47. Lim LC. Acquired red cell aplasia in association with the use of recombinant erythropoietin in chronic renal failure. Hematology 2005;10:255–259.
48. Andrade J, Taylor PA, Love JM, et al. Successful reintroduction of a different erythropoiesis-stimulating agent after pure red cell aplasia: relapse after successful therapy with prednisone. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005;20:2548–2551.
49. Mix T-CH, Brenner RM, Cooper ME, et al. Rationale – Trial to reduce cardiovascular events with Aranesp therapy (TREAT): evolving the management of cardiovascular risk in patients with chronic kidney disease. Am Heart J 2005;149:408–413.