1. Ratzan SC, Parker RM. Introduction. In: Selden CR, Zorn M, Ratzan SC, et al, eds. National Libraries of Medicine Current Bibliographies in Medicine: Health Literacy. Pub. no. CBM 2000-1. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, 2000.
2. Speros C. Health literacy: concept analysis. J Adv Nurs 2005;50:633-640.
3. National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services., Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, 2010.
4. Nielsen-Bohlman L, Panzer AM, Kindig DA, eds. Health Literacy: A Prescription to End Confusion. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2004.
5. Berkman ND, Sheridan SL, Donahue KE, et al. Health Literacy Interventions and Outcomes: An Updated Systematic Review. AHRQ Publ no. 11-E006. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2011.
6. Kutner M, Greenberg E, Jin Y, et al. The Health Literacy of America’s Adults: Results From the 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy. NCES 2006-483. Washington, DC: US Department of Education, NationalCenter for Education Statistics, 2006.
7. Paasche-Orlow MK, Wolf MS. Promoting health literacy research to reduce health disparities. J Health Commun 2010;15:34-41.
8. Ennis SR, Rıos-Vargas M, Albert NG. The Hispanic Population: 2010. Washington, DC: US Census Bureau, 2011.
9. Annual Estimates of the Hispanic Resident Population by Sex and Age for the United States: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009. NC-EST2009-04-HISP. Washington, DC: US Census Bureau, 2010: Table 4.
10. Knapp LG, Kelly-Reid JE, Ginder SA. Enrollment in Postsecondary Institutions, Fall 2009; Graduation Rates, 2003 & 2006 Cohorts; and Financial Statistics, Fiscal Year 2009. NCES 2011-230. Washington, DC: National Center for Education Statistics, 2011.
11. Gall MD, Borg WR, Gall JP. Educational Research: An Introduction. 6th ed. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, 2007:373-408.
12. Weiss BD, Mays MZ, Martz W, et al. Quick assessment of literacy in primary care: the newest vital sign. Ann Fam Med 2005;3:514-522.
13. National College Health Assessment II: Reference Group Executive Summary Fall 2011. Hanover, MD: American College Health Association, 2012.
14. Boyas JF. Correlates of health literacy among Latinos in Arkansas. Soc Work Public Health 2013;28:32-43.
15. Dunn-Navarra AM, Stockwell MS, Meyer D, et al. Parental health literacy, knowledge and beliefs regarding upper respiratory infections (URI) in an urban Latino immigrant population. J Urban Health 2012;89:848-860.
16. Sentell T, Braun KL. Low health literacy, limited English proficiency, and health status in Asians, Latinos, and other racial/ethnic groups in California. J Health Commun 2012;17:82-99.
17. Ickes MJ, Cottrell R. Health literacy in college students. J Am Coll Health 2010;58:491-498.
18. Williams MV, Parker RM, Baker DW, et al. Inadequate functional health literacy among patients at two public hospitals. JAMA 1995;274:1677Y1682.
19. Ciampa PJ, White RO, Perrin EM, et al. The association of acculturation and health literacy, numeracy and health-related skills in Spanish-speaking caregivers of young children. J Immigr Minor Health 2013;15:492-498.
20. Brice JH, Travers D, Cowden CS, et al. Health literacy among Spanish speaking patients in the emergency department. J Natl Med Assoc 2008;100:1326-1332.
21. Garbers S, Schmitt K, Rappa AM, et al. Functional health literacy in Spanish-speaking Latinas seeking breast cancer screening through the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Program. Int J Womens Health 2010;9:21-29.
22. Sudore RL, Landefeld CS, Perez-Stable EJ, et al. Unraveling the relationship between literacy, language proficiency, and patient-physician communication. Patient Educ Couns 2009;75:398-402.
23. Baker DW, Williams MV, Parker RM, et al. Development of a brief test to measure functional health literacy. Patient Educ Couns 1999;38:33-42.
24. Arozullah AM, Yarnold PR, Bennett CL, et al. Development and validation of a short-form, rapid estimate of adult literacy in medicine. Med Care 2007;45:1026-1033