1. Colwill JM, Cultice JM, Kruse RL. Will generalist physician supply meet demands of an increasing and aging population? Health Aff (Millwood) 2008;27:w232-w241.
3. Petterson SM, Liaw WR, Phillips RL, Jr et al. Projecting US primary care physician workforce needs: 2010-2025. Ann Fam Med 2012;10:503-509.
4. Grover A, Orlowski JM, Erikson CE. The nation's physician workforce and future challenges. Am J Med Sci 2016;351:11-19.
5. Committee on the Governance and Financing of Graduate Medical Education, Institute of Medicine. Graduate Medical Education That Meets the Nation' Health Needs. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2014.
6. O'Leary KJ, Liebovitz DM, Baker DW. How hospitalists spend their time: insights on efficiency and safety. J Hosp Med 2006;1: 88-93.
7. Weigl M, Muller A, Zupanc A, et al. Participant observation of time allocation, direct patient contact and simultaneous activities in hospital physicians. BMC Health Serv Res 2009;9:110.
8. Tipping MD, Forth VE, O'Leary KJ, et al. Where did the day go? A time-motion study of hospitalists. J Hosp Med 2010;5:323-328.
9. Ammenwerth E, Spotl HP. The time needed for clinical documentation versus direct patient care. A work-sampling analysis of physicians' activities. Methods Inf Med 2009;48:84-91.
10. Sinsky C, Colligan L, Li L, et al. Allocation of physician time in ambulatory practice: a time and motion study in 4 specialties. Ann Intern Med 2016;165:753-760.
11. Gottschalk A, Flocke SA. Time spent in face-to-face patient care and work outside the examination room. Ann Fam Med 2005;3: 488-493.
12. Lin CT, McKenzie M, Pell J, et al. Health care provider satisfaction with a new electronic progress note format: SOAP vs APSO format. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173:160-162.
13. Weis JM, Levy PC. Copy, paste, and cloned notes in electronic health records: prevalence, benefits, risks, and best practice recommendations. Chest 2014;145:632-638.
14. O'Malley AS, Grossman JM, Cohen GR, et al. Are electronic medical records helpful for care coordination? Experiences of physician practices. J Gen Intern Med 2010;25:177-185.
15. Cusack CM, Hripcsak G, Bloomrosen M, et al. The future state of clinical data capture and documentation: a report from AMIA' 2011 Policy Meeting. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2013;20:134-140.
16. Siegler JE, Patel NN, Dine CJ. Prioritizing paperwork over patient care: why can' we do both? J Grad Med Educ 2015;7:16-18.
17. Cutler DM, Ly DP. The (paper) work of medicine: understanding international medical costs. J Econ Perspect 2011;25:3-25.