1. Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Kit BK, et al. Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999-2010. JAMA 2012;307:483-490.
2. Dietz WH. Health consequences of obesity in youth: childhood predictors of adult disease. Pediatrics 1998;101:518-525.
3. Grifﬁths LJ, Parsons TJ, Hill AJ. Self-esteem and quality oflifein obese children and adolescents: a systematic review. Int J Pediatr Obes 2010;5:282-304.
4. Wolf AM, Colditz GA. Current estimates of the economic cost of obesity in the United States. Obes Res 1998;6:97-106.
5. Maximova K, McGrath JJ, Barnett T, et al. Do you see what I see? Weight status misperception and exposure to obesity among children and adolescents. Int J Obes (Lond) 2008;32:1008-1015.
6. Edwards NM, Pettingell S, Borowsky IW. Where perception meets reality: self-perception of weight in overweight adolescents. Pediatrics 2010;125:e452-e458.
7. Talamayan KS, Springer AE, Kelder SH, et al. Prevalence of overweight misperception and weight control behaviors among normal weight adolescents in the United States. Scientiﬁc World Journal 2006;6:365-373.
8. Connor Gorber S, Tremblay M, Moher D, et al. A comparison of direct vs. self-report measures for assessing height, weight and body mass index: a systematic review. Obes Rev 2007;8:307-326.
9. Sherry B, Jefferds ME, Grummer-Strawn LM. Accuracy of adolescent self-report of height and weight in assessing overweight status: a literature review. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2007;161:1154-1161.
10. Eichen DM, Conner BT, Daly BP, et al. Weight perception, substance use, and disordered eating behaviors: comparing normal weight and overweight high-school students. J Youth Adolesc 2012;41:1-13.
11. Foti K, Lowry R. Trends in perceived overweight status among overweight and nonoverweight adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2010;164:636-642.
12. Krauss RC, Powell LM, Wada R. Weight misperceptions and racial and ethnic disparities in adolescent female body mass index. J Obes 2012;2012:205393.
13. Park E. Overestimation and underestimation: adolescents’ weight perception in comparison to BMI-based weight status and how it varies across socio-demographic factors. J Sch Health 2011;81:57-64.
14. Beck J, Schaefer CA, Nace H, et al. Accuracy of self-reported height and weight in children aged 6 to 11 years. Prev Chronic Dis 2012;9:E119.
15. Gray W, Crawford MJ, Follansbee-Junger K, et al. Associations between actual and perceived weight and psychosocial functioning in children: the importance of child perceptions. Child Obes 2012;8:147-154.
16. Schiefelbein EL, Mirchandani GG, George GC, et al. Association between depressed mood and perceived weight in middle and high school age students: Texas 2004-2005. Matern Child Health J 2012;16:169-176.
17. Yan AF, Zhang G, Wang MQ, et al. Weight perception and weight control practice in multiethnic sample of US adolescents. South Med J 2009;102:354-360.
18. Conley A, Boardman JD. Weight overestimation as an indicator of disordered eating behaviors among young women in the United States. Int J Eat Disord 2007;40:441-445.
19. Cuypers K, Kvaløy K, Bratberg, G, et al. Being normal weight but feeling overweight in adolescence may affect weight development into young adulthood-an 11-year follow up: the HUNT Study, Norway. J Obes 2012;2012:601872.
20. Slawson DL, Dalton WT III, Wang L, et al. College students as facilitators in reducing adolescent obesity disparity in southern Appalachia: Team Up for Healthy Living. Contemp Clin Trials In press.
21. Southerland J, Behringer B, Slawson, D. Using the give-get grid to understand potential expectations of engagement in a community-academic partnership. Health Promot Pract 2013;14:909-917.
22. Kuczmarski RJ, Ogden CL, Guo SS, et al. 2000 CDC growth charts for the United States: methods and development. Vital and Health Stat 11 2002;246:1-190.
23. Cao R, Qian J, Chen PY. Multiple comparisons in categorical data analysis. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 2010;30:118-120.
24. Bodenlos JS, Rosal MC, Blake DR, et al. Obesity prevalence, weight-related beliefs, and behaviors among low-income ethnically diverse national Job Corps students. J Health Dispar Res Pract 2010;3:106-114.
25. Buttenheim AM, Goldman N, Pebley AR. Underestimation of adolescent obesity. Nurs Res 2013;62:195-202.
26. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Estimated county-level prevalence of diabetes and obesity--United States, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2009;58:1259-1263.
27. Elgar FJ, Roberts C, Tudor-Smith C, et al. Validity of self-reported height and weight and predictors of bias in adolescents. J Adolesc Health 2005;37:371-375.
28. Drake KM, Longacre MR, Dalton MA, et al. Two-method measurement for adolescent obesity epidemiology: reducing the bias in self-report of height and weight. J Adolesc Health 2013;53:322-327.