1. Spintage R. Clinical uses of music in operating theatres, in MacDonald R, Kreuta G, Mitchell L, eds. Music, Health, and Wellbeing. New York, Oxford University Press; 2012: 276–288.
2. Standley JM. Music research in medical/dental treatment: meta-analysis and clinical applications. J Music Ther 1986; 23: 56–122.
3. Nilsson U. The anxiety- and pain-reducing effects of music interventions: a systematic review. AORN J 2008; 87: 780–807.
4. Lin ST, Yang P, Lai CY, et al. Mental health implications of music: insight from neuroscientific and clinical studies. Harv Rev Psychiatry 2011; 19: 34–46.
5. Pittman S, Kridli S. Music intervention and preoperative anxiety: an integrative review. Int Nurs Rev 2011; 58: 157–163.
6. Beccaloni AM. The medicine of music: a systematic approach for adoption into perianesthesia practice. J Perianesth Nurs 2011; 26: 323–330.
7. Dileo C, Bradt J. Music for preoperative anxiety. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008; 1:CD006908.
9. Kain ZN, Caldwell-Andrews AA, Krivutza DM, et al. Interactive music therapy as a treatment for preoperative anxiety in children: a randomized controlled trial. Anesth Analg 2004; 98: 1260–1266.
10. Augustin P, Hains AA. Effect of music on ambulatory surgery patients’ preoperative anxiety. AORN J 1996; 63:750, 753–758.
11. Ni CH, Tsai WH, Lee LM, et al. Minimising preoperative anxiety with music for day surgery patients—a randomized control trial. J Clin Nurs 2012; 21: 620–625.
12. Bringman H, Giesecke K, Thorne A, et al. Relaxing music as pre-medication before surgery: a randomized controlled trial. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2009; 53: 759–764.
13. Wang SM, Kulkarni L, Dolev J, et al. Music and preoperative anxiety: a randomized, controlled study. Anesthes Analg 2002; 94: 1489–1894.
14. Robb S, Nichols J, Rutan RL, et al. The effects of music assisted relaxation on preoperative anxiety. J Music Ther 1995; 32: 2–21.
15. Whipple J. Surgery buddies: a music therapy program for pediatric surgical patients. Music Ther Perspect 1996; 33: 190–196.
16. DeMarco J, Alexander JL, Nehrenz G, et al. The benefit of music for the reduction of stress and anxiety in patients undergoing elective cosmetic surgery. Music Med 2012; 4: 44–48.
17. Sener EB, Koylu N, Uston FE, et al. The effects of music, white noise and operating room noise on perioperative anxiety in patients under spinal anesthesia: 8AP3-3. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2010; 27: 133.
18. Nilsson U, Rawai N, Unestahi LE, et al. Improved recovery after music and therapeutic suggestions during general anesthesia: a double-blind randomized controlled trial. Acta Anaesthes Scand 2001; 45: 812–817.
19. Lepage C, Drolet P, Girard M, et al. Music decreases sedative requirements during spinal anesthesia. Anesthes Analg 2001; 93: 912–916.
20. Acute Pain Management Guideline Panel, Agency for Health Care Research and Quality.Clinical Practice Guideline: Acute Pain Management: Operative or Medical Procedure and Trauma. AHCPR pub no. 920032. Rockville, MD, Public Health Service, US Department of Health and Human Services; 1992.
21. Shang AB, Gan T. Optimsing postoperative pain management in the ambulatory patient. Drugs 2003; 63: 855–867.
22. Allred KD, Byers JF, Sole ML. The effect of music on postoperative pain and anxiety. Pain Manag Nurs 2010; 11: 15–25.
23. Cepda MS, Carr DB, Lau J, et al. Music for pain relief. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; 2:CD004843.
24. Chi GC, Young A. Selection of music for inducing relaxation and alleviating pain. Holist Nurs Pract 2011; 25: 127–135.
25. Pelletier CL. The effect of music on decreasing arousal due to stress: a meta-analysis. J Music Ther 2004; 41: 192–214.
26. Krout RE. Music listening to facilitate relaxation and promote wellness: integrated aspects of our neurophysiological responses to music. Arts Psychother 2007; 34: 134–141.
27. Thorgaard P, Ertmann E, Noerregaard V, et al. Designed sound and music environment in postanaesthesia care units—a multicenter study of patients and staff. Intens Crit Care Nurs 2005; 21: 220–225.
28. Schwartz FJ. A pilot study of patients in postoperative cardiac surgery. Music Med 2009; 1: 70–74.
30. Standley J. Music research in medical/dental treatment: an update of a prior meta-analysis, in Smith D (ed): Effectiveness of Music Therapy Procedures: Documentation of Research and Clinical Practice. Vol 3. Silver Spring, MD, American Music Therapy Association; 2000: 1–64.
31. Stouffer JW, Shirk BJ, Polomano RC. Practice guidelines for music interventions with hospital pediatric patients. J Pediatr Nurs 2007; 22: 448–456.
33. Robb SL, Burns DS, Carpenter JS. Reporting guidelines for music-based interventions. J Health Psychol 2011; 16: 342–352.