1. Rosal MC, Ockene IS, Ockene JK, et al. A longitudinal study of students’ depression at one medical school. Acad Med. 1997; 72: 542–546.
2. Dyrbye LN, Thomas MR, Massie FS, et al. Burnout and suicidal ideation among U.S. medical students. Ann Intern Med. 2008; 149: 334–341.
3. Santen SA, Holt DB, Kemp JD, et al. Burnout in medical students: examining the prevalence and associated factors. South Med J. 2010; 103: 758–763.
4. Givens JL, Tjia J. Depressed medical students’ use of mental health services and barriers to use. Acad Med. 2002; 77: 918–921.
5. Tjia J, Givens JL, Shea JA. Factors associated with undertreatment of medical student depression. J Am Coll Health. 2005; 53: 219–224.
6. Ghodasara SL, Davidson MA, Reich MS, et al. Assessing student mental health at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Acad Med. 2011; 86: 116–121.
7. Thompson T, Hollon SD. Behavioral and cognitive–behavioral interventions. In: Ebert MH, Loosen PT, Nurcombe B, Leckman JF. (eds): CURRENT Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2008;, 2nd ed.
8. Kumar S, Hatcher S, Huggard P. Burnout in psychiatrists: an etiological model. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2005; 35: 405–416.
9. Rø KEI, Gude T, Tyssen R, et al. Counselling for burnout in Norwegian doctors: one year cohort study. BMJ. 2008; 337: a2004
10. Firth-Cozens J, Hardy GE. Occupational stress, clinical treatment and changes in job perceptions. J Occup Organ Psychol. 1992; 65: 81–88.
11. Shanafelt TD, Boone S, Tan L, et al. Burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance among US physicians relative to the general US population. Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1377–1385.
12. Chang E, Eddins-Folensbee F, Coverdale J. A survey of the prevalence of burnout, stress, depression and the use of supports by medical students at one school. Acad Psychiatry. 2012; 36: 177–182.
13. Arthur NM. The assessment of burnout: a review of three inventories useful for research and counseling. J Couns Dev. 1990; 69: 186–189.
14. Söderfeldt M, Söderfeldt B, Warg LE, et al. The factor structure of the Maslach Burnout Inventory in two Swedish human service organizations. Scand J Psychol. 1996; 37: 437–443.
15. Dyrbye LN, Thomas MR, Eacker A, et al. Race, ethnicity, and medical student well-being in the United States. Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 2103–2109.
16. Dyrbye LN, Thomas MR, Huntington JL, et al. Personal life events and medical student burnout: a multicenter study. Acad Med. 2006; 81: 374–384.
17. Dyrbye LN, Massie FS Jr, Eacker A, et al. Relationship between burnout and professional conduct and attitudes among US medical students. JAMA. 2010; 304: 1173–1180.
18. Dyrbye LN, Thomas MR, Power DV, et al. Burnout and serious thoughts of dropping out of medical school: a multi-institutional study. Acad Med. 2010; 85: 94–102.
19. Dyrbye LN, Thomas MR, Harper W, et al. The learning environment and medical student burnout: a multicentre study. Med Educ. 2009; 43: 274–282.
20. Thomas MR, Dyrbye LN, Huntington JL, et al. How do distress and well-being relate to medical student empathy? A multicenter study. J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 177–183.
21. Dyrbye LN, Thomas MR, Huschka MM, et al. A multicenter study of burnout, depression, and quality of life in minority and nonminority US medical students. Mayo Clin Proc. 2006; 81: 1435–1442.
22. Spitzer RL, Williams JB, Kroenke K, et al. Utility of a new procedure for diagnosing mental disorders in primary care. The PRIME-MD 1000 study. JAMA. 1994; 272: 1749–1756.
23. Whooley MA, Avins AL, Miranda J, et al. Case-finding instruments for depression. Two questions are as good as many. J Gen Intern Med. 1997; 12: 439–445.
24. Glaser BG. The constant comparative method of qualitative analysis. Soc Probl. 1965; 12:; 436–445.
25. Chew-Graham CA, Rogers A, Yassin N. “I wouldn’t want it on my CV or their records”: medical students’ experiences of help-seeking for mental health problems. Med Educ. 2003; 37: 873–880.
26. Oppenheimer K, Miller M, Forney P. Effect of history of psychological counseling on selection of applicants for residencies. J Med Educ. 1987; 62: 504–508.
27. Roberts LW, Warner TD, Lyketsos C, et al. Perceptions of academic vulnerability associated with personal illness: a study of 1,027 students at nine medical schools. Collaborative Research Group on Medical Student Health. Compr Psychiatry. 2001; 42: 1–15.
28. Dyrbye LN, Shanafelt TD. Medical students and depression. Acad Med. 2009; 84: 976
29. Thompson D, Goebert D, Takeshita J. A program for reducing depressive symptoms and suicidal ideation in medical students. Acad Med. 2010; 85: 1635–1639.