The purpose of this committee is to provide a forum to plan and design new educational activities for physicians-in-training with a focus on:
- Multi-disciplinary networking;
- Collaborative, low-stress environment surrounded by peers;
- New ideas from new physicians to new physicians;
- Education and research emphasis, without any political endorsements;
- Incorporating physician-to-physician communication/networking early for continued collaboration;
- Spreading best practices between sixteen regional states and the District of Columbia for improved quality patient care;
- Enhancing leadership strategies and skills;
- Support the future of medical education in the South.
Monthly Group Meetings
Our group meets online on the last Tuesday of each month, at 6:00 pm Central Time.
All members are encouraged to join and participate! Joining information is as follows:
Join Zoom Meeting Online:
Find your local dial-in number: https://tulane.zoom.us/u/ahB7bZS7d
Meeting ID: 957 2278 1536
Announcing the Inaugural Physicians-in-
April 16-18, 2021
We Are Going Virtual!
Join us from the comfort of your home or office!
Medical Students and Residents will have an opportunity to:
- Submit abstracts for oral and digital poster presentations;
- Participate in hands-on workshops;
- Network with colleagues from medical schools across SMA’s Southern Region;
- Participate in interactive activities designed for interprofessional learning;
- Take home practical information from keynote speakers;
- Fulfill ACGME requirements related to participation in scholarly activities.
COVID-19 Virtual Meeting Statement
In light of on-going developments with COVID-19, SMA has decided to move the inaugural Physicians-in-Training Leadership Conference to an online, virtual experience that will take place live on April 16-18, 2021. We believe this is the safest approach for the well-being of our audience of healthcare providers and we are excited that a virtual event makes it possible to broaden the learning opportunities and engagement at this time.
Attendees, connecting from the comfort and safety of their home or office, will be able to participate in question and answer sessions and engage with the speakers through our virtual conference platform.
Best of all, all of the educational sessions will be easily accessible on-demand post-meeting to view at your convenience, if you are unable to attend the live virtual event.
PIT Abstract Competition Opportunities - Spring and Fall
We continue to invite new members to the group, and YOUR help is greatly appreciated! This is a link to our “Outreach” working documents. It is our goal to reach out to all medical schools within our territory (16 Southern states and DC). If you are willing to assist, click the link to review schools that need to be contacted. We have also created a template for extending the invitation!
What is SMA’s Mentoring Program?
The SMA Physicians-in-Training (PIT) Mentorship Program aims to foster development and growth of both established-physician mentors and physician-in-training mentees through promoting genuine long-term relationships between individuals with differing levels of experience in the medical field. The SMA is the perfect environment for such a program, given that its membership is not limited by specialty or by level of training.
A Day in the Life Podcast Series
We are looking for students and residents to present interactive online podcasts! The theme is “A Day in the Life,” and the stipulation is that it must relate to an experience as a medical student or resident. Content examples include interesting daily routines, involvement with community outreach projects, best practices, wellness and emotional health as related to being a student/resident, a valuable resource or tip, unexpected experiences, or just about anything of educational value. Do you have something to share or know someone who can contribute?
The sessions are recorded and made available on our group’s YouTube channel!
Meet the Committee Members
Natalie Weiss, BA, BS
Dantwan Smith, MD, MBA