1. Debakey ME, Ochsner A. Subtotal esophagectomy and esophagogastrostomy for high intrathoracic esophageal lesions. Surgery 1948;23:935-951.
2. Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2015. CA Cancer J Clin 2015;65:5-29.
3. Hashimi S, Smith M. Medical evaluation of patients preparing for an esophagectomy. Surg Clin North Am 2012;92:1127-1133.
4. Mortensen MB. Avoiding complications in esophageal cancer surgery. Minerva Chir 2013;68:341-352.
5. Derogar M, Orsini N, Sadr-Azodi O, et al. Influence of major postoperative complications on health-related quality of life among long-term survivors of esophageal cancer surgery. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:1615-1619.
6. Grotenhuis BA, Wijnhoven BP, Grü F, et al. Preoperative risk assessment and prevention of complications in patients with esophageal cancer. J Surg Oncol 2010;101:270-278.
7. Low DE, Kunz S, Schembre D, et al. Esophagectomy-it' not just about mortality anymore: standardized perioperative clinical pathways improve outcomes in patients with esophageal cancer. J Gastrointest Surg 2007;11:1395-1402.
8. Cao S, Zhao G, Cui J, et al. Fast-track rehabilitation program and conventional care after esophagectomy: a retrospective controlled cohort study. Support Care Cancer 2013;21:707-714.
9. Cerfolio RJ, Bryant AS, Bass CS, et al. Fast tracking after Ivor Lewis esophagogastrectomy. Chest 2004;126:1187-1194.
10. Kita T, Mammoto T, Kishi Y. Fluid management and postoperative respiratory disturbances in patients with transthoracic esophagectomy for carcinoma. J Clin Anesth 2002;14:252-256.
11. Wei S, Tian J, Song X, et al. Association of perioperative fluid balance and adverse surgical outcomes in esophageal cancer and esophagogastric junction cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 2008;86:266-272.
12. Casado D, López F, Martí R. Perioperative fluid management and major respiratory complications in patients undergoing esophagectomy. Dis Esophagus 2010;23:523-528.
13. Haase O, Raue W, Neuss H, et al. Influence of postoperative fluid management on pulmonary function after esophagectomy. Acta Chir Belg 2013;113:415-422.
14. Raue W, Haase O, Langelotz C, et al. Influence of pre-operative fluid infusion on volume status during oesophageal resection-a prospective trial. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2008;52:1218-1225.
15. Neal JM, Wilcox RT, Allen HW, et al. Near-total esophagectomy: the influence of standardized multimodal management and intraoperative fluid restriction. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2003;28:328-334.
16. Kobayashi M, Koh M, Irinoda T, et al. Stroke volume variation as a predictor of intravascular volume depression and possible hypotension during the early postoperative period after esophagectomy. Ann Surg Oncol 2009;16:1371-1377.
17. Tandon S, Batchelor A, Bullock R, et al. Peri-operative risk factors for acute lung injury after elective oesophagectomy. Br J Anaesth 2001;86:633-638.
18. Buise M, Van Bommel J, Mehra M, et al. Pulmonary morbidity following esophagectomy is decreased after introduction of a multimodal anesthetic regimen. Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 2008;59:257-261.
19. Lee EH, Kim HR, Baek SH, et al. Risk factors of postoperative acute kidney injury in patients undergoing esophageal cancer surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2014;28:936-942.
20. Lanuti M, de Delva PE, Maher A, et al. Feasibility and outcomes of an early extubation policy after esophagectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 2006;82:2037-2041.
21. Colquhoun D. An investigation of the false discovery rate and the misinterpretation of p-values. R Soc Open Sci 2014;1:140216.
22. Glickman ME, Rao SR, Schultz MR. False discovery rate control is a recommended alternative to Bonferroni-type adjustments in health studies. J Clin Epidemiol 2014;67:850-857.
23. Zhang H, Holford T, Bracken MB. A tree-based method of analysis for prospective studies. Stat Med 1996;15:37-49.
24. Zhang H, Singer BH. Recursive Partitioning and Applications. 2nd ed. New York:Springer;2010.
25. Hammann F, Drewe J. Decision tree models for data mining in hit discovery. Expert Opin Drug Discov 2012;7:341-352.
26. Strobl C, Malley J, Tutz G. An introduction to recursive partitioning: rationale, application, and characteristics of classification and regression trees, bagging, and random forests. Psychol Methods 2009;14:323-348.
27. Austin PC. A comparison of regression trees, logistic regression, generalized additive models, and multivariate adaptive regression splines for predicting AMI mortality. Stat Med 2007;26:2937-2957.
29. James KE, White RF, Kraemer HC. Repeated split sample validation to assess logistic regression and recursive partitioning: an application to the prediction of cognitive impairment. Stat Med 2005;24:3019-3035.
30. Rassen JA, Brookhart MA, Glynn RJ, et al. Instrumental variables I: instrumental
variables exploit natural variation in nonexperimental data to estimate causal relationships. J Clin Epidemiol 2009;62:1226-1232.
31. Greenland S. An introduction to instrumental variables for epidemiologists. Int J Epidemiol 2000;29:722-729.
32. Martens EP, Pestman WR, de Boer A, et al. Instrumental variables: application and limitations. Epidemiology 2006;17:260-267.
33. Katz MH. Study Design and Statistical Analysis: A Practical Guide for Clinicians. New York:Cambridge University Press;2006.
34. Hulley SB, Cummings SR, Browner WS, et al. Designing Clinical Research. 2nd ed. Baltimore, MD:Lippincott Williams & Wilkins;2005.
35. Nossaman VE, Richardson WS, III Wooldridge JB, Jr et al. Role of intraoperative fluids on hospital length of stay in laparoscopic bariatric surgery: a retrospective study in 224 consecutive patients. Surg Endosc 2015;29:2960-2969.
36. Oh TT, Martel CG, Clark AG, et al. Impact of anesthetic predictors on postpartum hospital length of stay and adverse events following cesarean delivery: a retrospective study in 840 consecutive parturients. Ochsner J 2015;15:228-236.
37. Nossaman VE, Richardson WS, Wooldridge JB, Jr et al. Duration of nil per os is causal in hospital length of stay following laparoscopic bariatric surgery. Surg Endosc 2017;31:1901-1905.
39. Lang TA, Secic M. How to Report Statistics in Medicine: Annotated Guidelines for Authors, Editors, and Reviewers. 2nd ed. Philadelphia:American College of Physicians;2006.
40. Stoltzfus JC. Logistic regression: a brief primer. Acad Emerg Med 2011;18:1099-1104.