1. Mendu ML, McAvay G, Lampert R, et al. Yield of diagnostic tests in evaluating syncopal episodes in older patients. Arch Intern Med 2009;169:1299-1305.
2. Shen WK, Decker WW, Smars PA, et al. Syncope Evaluation in the Emergency Department Study (SEEDS): a multidisciplinary approach to syncope management. Circulation 2004;110:3636-3645.
3. Brignole M, Menozzi C, Bartoletti A, et al. A new management of syncope: prospective systematic guideline-based evaluation of patients referred urgently to general hospitals. Eur Heart J 2006;27:76-82.
4. Kapoor WN, Karpf M, Wieand S, et al. A prospective evaluation and follow-up of patients with syncope. N Engl J Med 1983;309:197-204.
5. Johnson PC, Ammar H, Zohdy W, et al. Yield of diagnostic tests and its impact on cost in adult patients with syncope presenting to a community hospital. South Med J 2014;107:707-714.
6. Farwell DJ, Sulke AN. Does the use of a syncope diagnostic protocol improve the investigation and management of syncope? Heart 2004;90:52-58.
7. Frizell A, Fogel N, Steenblik J, et al. Prevalence of pulmonary embolism in patients presenting to the emergency department with syncope. Am J Emerg Med 2018;36:253-256.
8. Thiruganasambandamoorthy V, Kwong K, Wells GA, et al. Development of the Canadian Syncope Risk Score to predict serious adverse events after emergency department assessment of syncope. CMAJ 2016;188:E289-E298.
9. Quinn JV, Stiell IG, McDermott DA, et al. Derivation of the San Francisco Syncope Rule to predict patients with short-term serious outcomes. Ann Emerg Med 2004;43:224-232.
10. Prandoni P, Lensing AWA, Prins MH, et al. Prevalence of pulmonary embolism among patients hospitalized for syncope. N Engl J Med 2016;375:1524-1531.
11. Costantino G, Ruwald MH, Quinn J, et al. Prevalence of pulmonary embolism in patients with syncope. JAMA Intern Med 2018;178:356-362.
12. Verma AA, Masoom H, Rawal S, et al. Pulmonary embolism and deep venous thrombosis in patients hospitalized with syncope: a multicenter cross-sectional study in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. JAMA Intern Med 2017;177:1046-1048.
13. Roncon L, Zuin M, Casazza F, et al. Impact of syncope and pre-syncope on short-term mortality in patients with acute pulmonary embolism. Eur J Intern Med 2018;54:27-33.
14. Shen WK, Sheldon RS, Benditt DG, et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/HRS guideline for the evaluation and management of patients with syncope: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation 2017;136:e60-e122.
15. Brignole M, Moya A, de Lange FJ, et al. 2018 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and management of syncope. Eur Heart J 2018;39:1883-1948.
16. Mason J, Herbert M, Schriger DL. Pulmonary embolism prevalence in admitted syncope patients: 1 in 6 really?: answers to the March 2017 journal club questions. Ann Emerg Med 2017;70:257-260.
17. Batty J, Tang M. Pulmonary embolism in patients hospitalized for syncope. N Engl J Med 2017;376:494-497.
18. Ruwald MH, Hansen ML, Lamberts M, et al. Accuracy of the ICD-10 discharge diagnosis for syncope. Europace 2013;15:595-600.
19. Furlan L, Solbiati M, Pacetti V, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of ICD-9 code 780.2 for the identification of patients with syncope in the emergency department. Clin Auton Res 2018;28:577-582.
20. Burles K, Innes G, Senior K, et al. Limitations of pulmonary embolism ICD-10 codes in emergency department administrative data: let the buyer beware. BMC Med Res Methodol 2017;17:89.
21. Keller K, Beule J, Balzer JO, et al. Syncope and collapse in acute pulmonary embolism. Am J Emerg Med 2016;34:1251-1257.
22. Wolfe TR, Allen TL. Syncope as an emergency department presentation of pulmonary embolism. J Emerg Med 1998;16:27-31.
23. Dalen JE, Mathur VS, Evans H, et al. Pulmonary angiography in experimental pulmonary embolism. Am Heart J 1966;72:509-520.
24. Thames MD, Alpert JS, Dalen JE. Syncope in patients with pulmonary embolism. JAMA 1977;238:2509-2511.
25. Theilade J, Winkel BG, Holst AG, et al. A nationwide, retrospective analysis of symptoms, comorbidities, medical care and autopsy findings in cases of fatal pulmonary embolism in younger patients. J Thromb Haemost 2010;8:1723-1729.
26. Sardi A, Gluskin J, Guttentag A, et al. Saddle pulmonary embolism: is it as bad as it looks? A community hospital experience. Crit Care Med 2011;39:2413-2418.
27. Altinsoy B, Erboy F, Tanriverdi H, et al. Syncope as a presentation of acute pulmonary embolism. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2016;12:1023-1028.
28. Akinboboye OC, Brown EJ, Jr Queirroz R, et al. Recurrent pulmonary embolism with second-degree atrioventricular block and near syncope. Am Heart J 1993;126(3 Part 1):731-732.
29. Chen SY, Wang YH, Hwang JJ, et al. Pulmonary embolism presenting as syncope in paraplegia: a case report. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1995;76:387-390.
30. Simpson RJ, Jr Podolak R, Mangano CA, Jr et al. Vagal syncope during recurrent pulmonary embolism. JAMA 1983;249:390-393.
31. Sun BC, Derose SF, Liang LJ, et al. Predictors of 30-day serious events in older patients with syncope. Ann Emerg Med 2009;54:769-778.e1-e5.