1. Murray CJ, Kulkarni SC, Michaud C, et al. Eight Americas: investigating mortality disparities across races, counties, and race-counties in the United States. PLoS Med 2006;3:e260.
2. Mokdad AH, Marks JS, Stroup DF, et al. Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000. JAMA 2004;291:1238-1245.
3. Ford ES, Bergmann MM, Boeing H, et al. Healthy lifestyle behaviors and all-cause mortality among adults in the United States. Prev Med 2012;55:23-27.
4. Flegal KM, Kit BK, Orpana H, et al. Association of all-cause mortality with overweight and obesity using standard body mass index categories: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2013;309:71-82.
5. Flegal KM, Graubard BI, Williamson DF, et al. Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesity. JAMA 2005;293:1861-1867.
7. Alberg AJ, Ford JG, Samet JM, et al. Epidemiology of lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition). Chest 2007; 132(3 suppl):29S-55S.
9. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cigarette smokingattributable morbidity--United States, 2000. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2003;52:842-844.
11. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Smoking-attributable mortality, morbidity, and economic costs (SAMMEC). http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/sammec
. Accessed February 5, 2015.
12. Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin 2012;62:10-29.
14. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vital signs: current cigarette smoking among adults aged >18 years--United States, 2005-2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2011;60:1207-1212.
15. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cigarette smoking among adults and trends in smoking cessation--United States, 2008. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2009;58:1227-1232.
16. Schiller JS, Lucas JW, Ward BW, et al. Summary health statistics for U.S. adults: National Health Interview Survey, 2010. Vital Health Stat 10 2012;252:1-207.
17. Blackwell DL, Lucas JW, Clarke TC. Summary health statistics for U.S. adults: national health interview survey, 2012. Vital Health Stat 10 2014;260:1-161.
18. Doescher MP, Jackson JE, Jerant A, et al. Prevalence and trends in smoking: a national rural study. J Rural Health 2006;22:112-118.
19. Northridge ME, Vallone D, Xiao H, et al. The importance of location for tobacco cessation: rural-urban disparities in quit success in underserved West Virginia counties. J Rural Health 2008;24:106-115.
23. Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Kit BK, et al. Prevalence of obesity in the United States, 2009-2010. NCHS Data Brief 2012;82:1-8.
24. National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults. The evidence report. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/ob_gdlns.pdf
. Published September 1998. Accessed November 16, 2013.
25. Jackson JE, Doescher MP, Jerant AF, et al. A national study of obesity prevalence and trends by type of rural county. J Rural Health 2005;21:140-148.
26. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Estimated county-level prevalence of diabetes and obesity--United States, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2009;58:1259-1263.
29. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Adult and Community Health. Measuring healthy days: population assessment of health-related quality of life. http://www.cdc.gov/hrqol/pdfs/mhd.pdf
. Published November 2000. Accessed November 16, 2013.
31. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. State-specific prevalence of cigarette smoking and smokeless tobacco use among adults--United States, 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2010;59:1400-1406.
33. French SA, Jeffery RW, Klesges LM, et al. Weight concerns and change in smoking behavior over two years in a working population. Am J Public Health 1995;85:720-722.
34. Marmot M. Social determinants of health inequalities. Lancet 2005;365:1099-1104.
35. Hahn EJ, Rayens MK, Butler KM, et al. Smoke-free laws and adult smoking prevalence. Prev Med 2008;47:206-209.
37. Sacks G, Veerman JL, Moodie M, et al. ‘‘Traffic-light’’ nutrition labelling and ‘‘junk-food’’ tax: a modelled comparison of cost-effectiveness for obesity prevention. Int J Obes (Lond) 2011;35:1001-1009.
38. Schoenberg NE, Howell BM, Swanson M, et al. Perspectives on healthy eating among Appalachian residents. J Rural Health 2013;29(1 suppl):s25-s34.
39. Sanders Thompson VL, Cavazos-Rehg PA, Jupka K, et al. Evidential preferences: cultural appropriateness strategies in health communications. Health Educ Res 2008;23:549-559.