Group Medical Malpractice Insurance
Protect yourself — and everyone in your practice — with SMA’s medical malpractice program.
Your practice is as unique as the people who keep it running. Your malpractice coverage should be too. Your group’s employees don’t just deserve the best coverage they can get; they deserve a plan that’s built with them in mind. And that’s what you’ll get with SMA’s group medical malpractice program.
We’ve partnered with the Coverys Insurance Company to bring you an exclusive medical malpractice program unlike any other: a program developed by physicians and administrators, for physicians and administrators. You’ll have a range of options to create customized policy that’s all your own. That’s because malpractice insurance alone is never quite enough in our ever-changing profession; to protect yourself and your employees, it’s important to be able to consolidate different lines of coverage into a single package.
You’ll get that and more with SMA. We offer:
- A choice of claims-made, modified claims-made, and occurrence coverage. Most medical malpractice insurers limit you to claims-made policies. That can get very expensive if a claim is made against you after your policy period ends — even if the incident occurred during the policy period. With SMA, you can opt for either an occurrence policy, which offers far broader protection; or a modified claims-made plan with a prepaid tail option that will automatically kick in after your policy period ends.
- A suite of comprehensive risk management and patient safety education services. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure: that goes for you as well as your patients. With 24-hour risk management support, business analytics, webinars, and other educational offerings, we offer a consultative approach created to assist you before a claim occurs.
- Coverage of up to $2,000,000 per claim.
- Free endorsement for extended tail coverage in the event of death, disability, or retirement.* Even if a claim is filed against you after you’ve retired — or if someone else has to handle it in your stead — you (and they) will still be covered.
- A broad definition of insured.* Shared coverage is provided for all non-physician employees, students, and volunteers while acting within their scope of duties.
- Additional lines of coverage at no extra cost. Coverage for solely owned practices is included, as is cyber liability, vicarious liability (for claims against someone for whom you’re legally responsible), and locum tenens coverage (for temporary absences from your practice).
- Options for additional coverage. For an extra premium, you can add coverage for commercial general liability, employee benefits liability, and umbrella liability coverage for coverage beyond the underlying policy limit.
*Certain eligibility requirements may apply – call us today to see if you are eligible.
We’re proud to count Coverys as a partner in our mission to bring the best possible insurance to our members. With over 45 years of proven success, they’re an A-rated company with deep underwriting experience. And they serve most medical specialties anywhere within the US (and its territories) and Canada.
When it comes to medical malpractice insurance, you don’t want “good enough.” And you don’t have to settle for an imperfect policy. With SMA, you’re in full control of your coverage options, so that you can create a group plan that’s as unique as your practice itself.