1. Asperger H. Die 'Autistischen Psychopathen' im Kindesalter. Arch Psychiatr Nervenkr 1944;117:76-136.
2. Wing L. Asperger syndrome: a clinical account. Psychol Med 1981;11:115-129.
3. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 1994, ed 4.
4. World Health Organization. International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1992.
5. Fombonne E, Tidmarsh L. Epidemiologic data on Asperger disorder. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2003;12:15-21, v-vi.
6. Ehlers S, Gillberg C. The epdemiology of Asperger syndrome. A total population study. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1993;34:1327-1350.
7. Szatmari P, Archer L, Fisman S, et al. Asperger's syndrome and autism: differences in behavior, cognition, and adaptive functioning. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1995;34:1662-1671.
8. Ozonoff S, Rogers SJ, Pennington BF. Asperger's syndrome: evidence of an empirical distinction from high-functioning autism. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1991;32:1107-1122.
9. Volkmar FR, Klin A, Schultz RT, et al. Asperger's disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:262-267.
10. Khouzam HR, El-Gabalawi F, Pirwani N, et al. Asperger's disorder: a review of its diagnosis and treatment. Compr Psychiatry 2004;45:184-191.
11. Lord C, Rutter M, Le Couteur A. Autism diagnostic interview-revised: a revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. J Autism Dev Disord 1994;24:659-685.
12. Lord C, Risi S, Lambrecht L, et al. The autism diagnostic observation schedule-generic: a standard measure of social and communication deficits associated with the spectrum of autism. J Autism Dev Disord 2000;30:205-223.
13. Krug DA, Arick JR. Krug Asperger Disorder Index. Austin, TX: Pro-Ed Inc, 2003.
14. Gilliam JE. Gilliam Asperger Disorder Scale. Austin, TX: Pro-Ed Inc, 2001.
15. Scott FJ, Baron-Cohen S, Bolton P, et al. The CAST (Childhood Asperger Syndrome Test): preliminary development of a UK screen for mainstream primary-school-age children. Autism 2002;6:9-31.
16. Matson JL, Wilkins J. Nosology and diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome. Res Autism Spectr Disord 2008;2:288-300.
17. Shopler E, Mesibow G, Kunce L. Asperger Syndrome or High Functioning Autism? New York: Plenum, 1998.
18. Frith C. Is autism a disconnection disorder? Lancet Neurol 2004;3:577.
19. Nieminen-von Wendt TS, Metsähonkala L, Kulomäki TA, et al. Increased presynaptic dopamine function in Asperger syndrome. Neuroreport 2004;15:757-760.
20. Murphy DG, Daly E, Schmitz N, et al. Cortical serotonin 5-HT2A receptor binding and social communication in adults with Asperger's syndrome: an in vivo SPECT study. Am J Psychiatry 2006;163:934-936.
21. Ellis HD, Gunter HL. Asperger syndrome: a simple matter of white matter? Trends Cogn Sci 1999;3:192-200.
22. White SW, Keonig K, Scahill L. Social skills development in children with autism spectrum disorders: a review of the intervention literature. J Autism Dev Disord 2007;37:1858-1868.
23. Rao PA, Beidel DC, Murray MJ. Social skills interventions for children with Asperger's syndrome or high-functioning autism: a review and recommendations. J Autism Dev Disord 2008;38:353-361.
24. Cappadocia MC, Weiss JA. Review of social skills training groups for youth with Asperger syndrome and high functioning autism. Res Autism Spectr Disord 2011;5:70-78.
25. Paul R. Promoting social communication in high functioning individuals with autistic spectrum disorders. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2003;12:87-106.
26. Chan JM, Lang R, Rispoli M, et al. Use of peer-mediated interventions in the treatment of autism spectrum disorders: a systematic review. Res Autism Spectr Disord 2009;3:876-889.
27. Attwood T. Frameworks for behavioral interventions. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2003;12:65-86, vi.
28. Myles BS. Behavioral forms of stress management for individuals with Asperger syndrome. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2003;12:123-141.
29. Towbin KE. Strategies for pharmacologic treatment of high functioning autism and Asperger syndrome. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2003;12:23-45.
30. Gordon CT, State RC, Nelson JE, et al. A double-blind comparison of clomipramine, desipramine, and placebo in the treatment of autistic disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1993;50:441-447.
31. McDougle CJ, Naylor ST, Cohen DJ, et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of fluvoxamine in adults with autistic disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1996;53:1001-1008.
32. Jaselskis CA, Cook EH Jr, Fletcher KE, et al. Clonidine treatment of hyperactive and impulsive children with autistic disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1992;12:322-327.
33. Connor DF, Ozbayrak KR, Benjamin S, et al. A pilot study of nadolol for overt aggression in developmentally delayed individuals. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1997;36:826-834.
34. Hollander E, Dolgoff-Kaspar R, Cartwright C, et al. An open trial of divalproex sodium in autism spectrum disorders. J Clin Psychiatry 2001;62:530-534.
35. Barnard L, Young AH, Pearson J, et al. A systematic review of the use of atypical antipsychotics in autism. J Psychopharmacol 2002;16:93-101.
36. Buitelaar JK, van der Gaag RJ, van der Hoeven J. Buspirone in the management of anxiety and irritability in children with pervasive developmental disorders: results of an open-label study. J Clin Psychiatry 1998;59:56-59.
37. Quintana H, Birmaher B, Stedge D, et al. Use of methylphenidate in the treatment of children with autistic disorder. J Autism Dev Disord 1995;25:283-294.
38. Aman MG, Langworthy KS. Pharmacotherapy for hyperactivity in children with autism and other pervasive developmental disorders. J Autism Dev Disord 2000;30:451-459.
39. Willemsen-Swinkels SH, Buitelaar JK, van Engeland H. The effects of chronic naltrexone treatment in young autistic children: a double-blind placebo-controlled crossover study. Biol Psychiatry 1996;39:1023-1031.
40. Clarke DJ, LittleJohns CS, Corbett JA, et al. Pervasive developmental disorders and psychoses in adult life. Br J Psychiatry 1989;155:692-699.
41. Clarke D, Baxter M, Perry D, et al. The diagnosis of affective and psychotic disorders in adults with autism: seven case reports. Autism 1999;3:149-164.
42. Abell F, Hare DJ. An experimental investigation of the phenomenology of delusional beliefs in people with Asperger syndrome. Autism 2005;9:515-531.
43. Frith CD, Corcoran R. Exploring 'theory of mind' in people with schizophrenia. Psychol Med 1996;26:521-530.
44. South M, Ozonoff S, McMahon WM. Repetitive behavior profiles in Asperger syndrome and high-functioning autism. J Autism Dev Disord 2005;35:145-158.
45. Turner M. Annotation: repetitive behavior in autism: a review of psychological research. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1999;40:839-849.
46. Benvenuto A, Moavero R, Alessandrelli R, et al. Syndromic autism: causes and pathogenetic pathways. World J Pediatr 2009;5:169-176.
47. Moss J, Howlin P. Autism spectrum disorders in genetic syndromes: implications for diagnosis, intervention and understanding the wider autism spectrum disorder population. J Intellect Disabil Res2009;53:852-873.
48. Miller MT, Strömland K, Ventura L, et al. Autism with ophthalmologic malformations: the plot thickens. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 2004;102:107-120; discussion 120-121.