1. Hunter DJ, Bierma-Zeinstra S. Osteoarthritis. Lancet 2019;393:1745–1759.
2. Hsia AW, Emami AJ, Tarke FD, et al. Osteophytes and fracture calluses share developmental milestones and are diminished by unloading. J Orthop Res 2018;36:699–710.
3. Fransen M, McConnell S, Harmer AR, et al. Exercise for osteoarthritis of the knee: a Cochrane systematic review. Br J Sports Med 2015;49:1554–1557.
4. Christiansen MB, Dix C, Master H, et al. “I’ve been to physical therapy before, but not for the knees.” A qualitative study exploring barriers and facilitators to physical therapy utilization for knee osteoarthritis. Musculoskeletal Care 2020;18:477–486.
5. Newberry SJ, FitzGerald J, SooHoo NF, et al. Treatment of Osteoarthritis of the Knee: An Update Review. Rep. No. 17-EHC011-EF. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2017.
6. Laba T, Brien JA, Fransen M, et al. Patient preferences for adherence to treatment for osteoarthritis: the MEdication Decisions in Osteoarthritis Study (MEDOS). BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2013;14:160.
7. Campbell R, Evans M, Tucker M, et al. Why don’t patients do their exercises? Understanding non-compliance with physiotherapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. J Epidemiol Community Health 2001;55:132–138.
8. Lee PY, Brock J, Mansoor S, et al. Knee braces and anti-inflammatory sleeves in osteoarthritis, innovation for the 21st century? J Arthritis 2018; 7:2.
9. Marino K, Lee R, Lee P. Effect of germanium-embedded knee sleeve on osteoarthritis of the knee. Orthop J Sport Med 2019;7:2325967119879124.
11. Zahiri CA, Schmalzried TP, Szuszczewicz ES, et al. Assessing activity in joint replacement patients. J Arthroplasty 1998;13:890–895.
12. Lysholm J, Gillquist J. Evaluation of knee ligament surgery results with special emphasis on use of a scoring scale. Am J Sports Med 1982;10: 150–154.
13. Dawson J, Fitzpatrick R, Murray D, et al. Questionnaire on the perceptions of patients about total knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1998;80:63–69. .
14. Roos EM, Roos HP, Lohmander LS, et al. Knee injury and osteoarthritis outcome score (KOOS)—development of a self-administered outcome measure. Orthop J Sports Med 1998;28:88–96.
15. Williams GN, Gangel TJ, Arciero RA, et al. Comparison of the Single Assessment Numeric Evaluation method and two shoulder rating scales. Outcomes measures after shoulder surgery. Am J Sports Med 1999;27: 214–221.
16. Hawker GA, Mian S, Kendzerska T, et al. Measures of adult pain: Visual Analog Scale for Pain (VAS Pain), Numeric Rating Scale for Pain (NRS Pain), McGill Pain Questionnaire (MPQ), Short-Form McGill Pain Questionnaire (SF-MPQ), Chronic Pain Grade Scale (CPGS), Short Form-36 Bodily Pain Scale (SF-36 BPS), and Measure of Intermittent and Constant Osteoarthritis Pain (ICOAP). Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2011; 63(suppl 11):S240–S252.
17. Kellgren JH, Lawrence JS. Radiological assessment of osteo-arthrosis. Ann Rheum Dis 1957;16:494–502.
18. Lyman S, Lee YY, Mclawhorn AS, et al. Clinical research: what are the minimal and substantial improvements in the HOOS and KOOS and JR versions after total joint replacement? Clin Orthop Relat Res 2018;476: 2432–2441.
19. Lee PY, Winfield TG, Harris SR, et al. Unloading knee brace is a cost-effective method to bridge and delay surgery in unicompartmental knee arthritis. BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med 2017;2:e000195.
20. Hjartarson HF, Toksvig-Larsen S. The clinical effect of an unloader brace on patients with osteoarthritis of the knee, a randomized placebo controlled trial with one year follow up. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2018;19:341.
21. Squyer E, Stamper DL, Hamilton DT, et al. Unloader knee braces for osteoarthritis: do patients actually wear them? Clin Orthop Relat Res 2013; 471:1982–1991.
22. Brower RW, van Raaij TM, Verhaar JA, et al. Brace treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee: a prospective randomized multi-centre trial. Osteoarthr Cartil 2006;14:777–783.
23. Stephens MB, Beutler A, O’Connor FG. Musculoskeletal injections: a review of the evidence. Am Fam Physician 2008;78:971–976.
24. Matzkin EG, Curry EJ, Kong Q, et al. Efficacy and treatment response of intra-articular corticosteroid injections in patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2017;25:703–714.
25. Maricar N, Parkes MJ, Callaghan MJ, et al. Structural predictors of response to intra-articular steroid injection in symptomatic knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Res Ther 2017;19:88.
26. Rogind H, Bibow-Nielson B, Jensen B, et al. The effects of a physical training program on patients with osteoarthritis of the knees. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1998;79:1421–1427.
27. McQuade KJ, de Oliveira AS. Effects of progressive resistance strength training on knee biomechanics during single leg step-up in persons with mild knee osteoarthritis. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2011;26:741–748.
28. Lund H, Weile U, Christensen R, et al. A randomized controlled trial of aquatic and land-based exercise in patients with knee osteoarthritis. J Rehabil Med 2008;40:137–144.
29. Evans JT, Walker RW, Evans JP, et al. How long does a knee replacement last? A systematic review and meta-analysis of case series and national registry reports with more than 15 years of follow-up. Lancet 2019;393:655–663.
30. Healy WL, Della Valle CJ, Iorio R, et al. Complications of total knee arthroplasty: standardized list and definitions of The Knee Society. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2013;471:215–220.
31. Heo SM, Harris I, Naylor J, et al. Complications to 6 months following total hip or knee arthroplasty: observations from an Australian clinical outcomes registry. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2020;21:602.
32. Mahdi A, Svantesson M, Wretenberg P, et al. Patients’ experiences of discontentment one year after total knee arthroplasty—a qualitative study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2020;21:29.
33. Harris KK, Dawson J, Jones LD, et al. Extending the use of PROMs in the NHS—using the Oxford Knee Score in patients undergoing non-operative management for knee osteoarthritis: a validation study. BMJ Open 2013;3:e0033658.
34. Beard DJ, Harris K, Dawson J, et al. Meaningful changes for the Oxford hip and knee scores after joint replacement surgery. J Clin Epidemiol 2015;68:73.
35. McHugh M, Droy E, Muscatelli S, et al. Measures of adult knee function. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2020;72:219–249.
36. Briggs KK, Kocher MS, Rodkey WG, et al. Reliability, validity, and responsiveness of the Lysholm knee score and Tegner activity scale for patients with meniscal injury of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2006;88: 698–705.
37. Danoff JR, Goel R, Sutton R, et al. How much pain is significant? Defining the minimal clinically important difference for the Visual Analog Scale for Pain after total joint arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2018;33:S71–S75.e2.
38. SooHoo NF, Li Z, Chenok KE, et al. Responsiveness of patient reported outcome measures in total joint arthroplasty patients. J Arthroplasty 2015; 30:176–191.
39. Blagojevic M, Jinks C, Jeffery A, et al. Risk factors for onset of osteoarthritis of the knee in older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Osteoarthr Cartil 2010;18:24–33.
40. Tschon M, Contartese D, Pagani S, et al. Gender and sex are key determinants in osteoarthritis, not only confounding variables. A systematic review of clinical data. J Clin Med 2021;10:3178.