1. Ng M, Fleming T, Robinson M, et al. Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet 2014;384:766–781.
2. Stevens GA, Singh GM, Lu Y, et al. National, regional, and global trends in adult overweight and obesity prevalences. Popul Health Metr 2012;10:22.
3. Kelly T, Yang W, Chen CS, et al. Global burden of obesity in 2005 and projections to 2030. Int J Obes (Lond) 2008;32:1431–1437.
4. Ward ZJ, Bleich SN, Cradock AL, et al. Projected U.S. state-level prevalence of adult obesity and severe obesity. N Engl J Med 2019;381:2440–2450.
5. Catenacci VA, Grunwald GK, Ingebrigtsen JP, et al. Physical activity patterns using accelerometry in the National Weight Control Registry. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2011;19:1163–1170.
6. Catenacci VA, Ogden LG, Stuht J, et al. Physical activity patterns in the National Weight Control Registry. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2008;16:153–161.
7. Catenacci VA, Odgen L, Phelan S, et al. Dietary habits and weight maintenance success in high versus low exercisers in the National Weight Control Registry. J Phys Act Health 2014;11:1540–1548.
8. Di Pietro L, Dziura J, Blair SN. Estimated change in physical activity level (PAL) and prediction of 5-year weight change in men: the Aerobics Center Longitudinal Study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004;28:1541–1547.
9. McGuire MT, Wing RR, Klem ML, et al. Behavioral strategies of individuals who have maintained long-term weight losses. Obes Res 1999;7:334–341.
10. Donnelly JE, Blair SN, Jakicic JM, et al. American College of Sports Medicine Position Stand. Appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2009;41:459–471.
11. Fogelholm M, Kukkonen-Harjula K. Does physical activity prevent weight gain—a systematic review. Obes Rev 2000;1:95–111.
12. Lee IM, Djoussé L, Sesso HD, et al. Physical activity and weight gain prevention. JAMA 2010;303:1173–1179.
13. Saris WH, Blair SN, van Baak MA, et al. How much physical activity is enough to prevent unhealthy weight gain? Outcome of the IASO 1st Stock Conference and consensus statement. Obes Rev 2003;4:101–114.
14. Williamson DF, Madans J, Anda RF, et al. Recreational physical activity and ten-year weight change in a US national cohort. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1993;17:279–286.
15. Clark JE. Diet, exercise or diet with exercise: comparing the effectiveness of treatment options for weight-loss and changes in fitness for adults (18-65 years old) who are overfat, or obese; systematic review and metaanalysis. J Diabetes Metab Disord 2015;14:31.
16. Johns DJ, Hartmann-Boyce J, Jebb SA, et al. Behavioural Weight Management Review Group. Diet or exercise interventions vs combined behavioral weight management programs: a systematic review and meta-analysis of direct comparisons. J Acad Nutr Diet 2014 Oct;114:1557–1568.
17. Franz MJ, VanWormer JJ, Crain AL, et al. Weight-loss outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of weight-loss clinical trials with a minimum 1-year follow-up. J Am Diet Assoc 2007;107:1755–1767.
18. Curioni CC, Lourenço PM. Long-term weight loss after diet and exercise: a systematic review. Int J Obes (Lond) 2005;29:1168–1174.
19. Miller CT, Fraser SF, Levinger I, et al. The effects of exercise training in addition to energy restriction on functional capacities and body composition in obese adults during weight loss: a systematic review. PLoS One 2013;8:e81692.
20. Washburn RA, Szabo AN, Lambourne K, et al. Does the method of weight loss effect long-term changes in weight, body composition or chronic disease risk factors in overweight or obese adults? A systematic review. PLoS One 2014;9:e109849.
21. Södlerlund A, Fischer A, Johansson T. Physical activity, diet and behaviour modification in the treatment of overweight and obese adults: a systematic review. Perspect Public Health 2009;129:132–142.
22. Shaw K, Gennat H, O’Rourke P, et al. Exercise for overweight or obesity. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;(4):CD003817.
23. Lemstra M, Bird Y, Nwankwo C, et al. Weight loss intervention adherence and factors promoting adherence: a meta-analysis. Patient Prefer Adherence 2016;10:1547–1559.
24. Piercy KL, Troiano RP, Ballard RM, et al. The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. JAMA 2018;320:2020–2028.
25. Alberga AS, Sigal RJ, Sweet SN, et al. Understanding low adherence to an exercise program for adolescents with obesity: the HEARTY trial. Obes Sci Pract 2019;5:437–448.
26. Dalle Grave R, Calugi S, Centis E, et al. Cognitive-behavioral strategies to increase the adherence to exercise in the management of obesity. J Obes 2011;2011:348293.
27. Burgess E, Hassmén P, Pumpa KL. Determinants of adherence to lifestyle intervention in adults with obesity: a systematic review. Clin Obes 2017;7:123–135.
28. Weinberger J. Common factors aren’t so common: the common factors dilemma. Clin Psychol 1995;2:45–69.
29. Bray GA, Heisel WE, Afshin A, et al. The science of obesity management: an Endocrine Society scientific statement. Endocr Rev 2018;39:79–132.
30. US Department of Health and Human Services. Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: USDHHS; 2018.
31. Castro EA, Carraça EV, Cupeiro R, et al. The effects of the type of exercise and physical activity on eating behavior and body composition in overweight and obese subjects. Nutrients 2020;12:557.
32. Mead N, Bower P. Patient-centredness: a conceptual framework and review of the empirical literature. Soc Sci Med 2000;51:1087–1110.
33. Epstein RM, Street RL Jr. The values and value of patient-centered care. Ann Fam Med 2011;9:100–103.
34. Bordin E. The generalizability of the psychoanalytic concept of the working alliance. Psychol Psychother 1979;16:252–260.
35. Zhou L, Wei H, Zhang H, et al. The influence of expectancy level and personal characteristics on placebo effects: psychological underpinnings. Front Psychiatry 2019;10:20.
36. Bingel U, Placebo Competence Team. Avoiding nocebo effects to optimize treatment outcome. JAMA 2014;312:693–694.
37. Hahn RA. The nocebo phenomenon: concept, evidence, and implications for public health. Prev Med 1997;26(5 Pt 1):607–611.
38. Osunlana AM, Asselin J, Anderson R, et al. 5As Team obesity intervention in primary care: development and evaluation of shared decision-making weight management tools. Clin Obes 2015;5:219–225.
39. Fabricatore AN, Wadden TA, Womble LG, et al. The role of patients’ expectations and goals in the behavioral and pharmacological treatment of obesity. Int J Obes (Lond) 2007;31:1739–174. doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0803649.
40. Krull DS, Anderson CA. The process of explanation. Curr Directions Psychol Sci 1997;6:1–5.
41. Gray SE, Finch CF. The causes of injuries sustained at fitness facilities presenting to Victorian emergency departments—identifying the main culprits. Inj Epidemiol 2015;2:6.
42. Jones CM, Griffiths PC, Mellalieu SD. Training load and fatigue marker associations with injury and illness: a systematic review of longitudinal studies. Sports Med 2017;47:943–974.
43. Eckard TG, Padua DA, Hearn DW, et al. The relationship between training load and injury in athletes: a systematic review. Sports Med 2018;48:1929–1961.
44. Ivarsson A, Johnson U, Andersen MB, et al. Psychosocial factors and sport injuries:
meta-analyses for prediction and prevention. Sports Med 2017;47:353–365.
45. Hardavella G, Aamli-Gaagnat A, Frille A, et al. Top tips to deal with challenging situations: doctor-patient interactions. Breathe (Sheff ) 2017;13:129–135.
46. Burgess E, Hassmén P, Welvaert M, et al. Behavioural treatment strategies improve adherence to lifestyle intervention programmes in adults with obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Obes 2017;7:105–114.
47. Challoumas D, Clifford C, Kirwan P, et al. How does surgery compare to sham surgery or physiotherapy as a treatment for tendinopathy? A systematic review of randomised trials. BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med 2019;5:e000528.
48. Geneen LJ, Moore RA, Clarke C, et al. Physical activity and exercise for chronic pain in adults: an overview of Cochrane reviews. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017;4:CD011279.
49. Pearlin LI, Nguyen KB, Schieman S, et al. The life-course origins of mastery among older people. J Health Soc Behav 2007;48:164–179.
50. Ericsson KA, Krampe RT, Tesch-Römer C. The role of deliberate practice in the acquisition of expert performance. Psychol Rev 1993;100:363–406.
51. Ericsson KA. Deliberate practice and acquisition of expert performance: a general overview. Acad Emerg Med 2008;15:988–994.
52. Bauman AE, Reis RS, Sallis JF, et al. Correlates of physical activity: why are some people physically active and others not?. Lancet 2012;380:258–271.