1. Zimmet P, Alberti KG, Kaufman F, et al. The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents-an IDF consensus report. Pediatr Diabetes 2007;8:299-306.
2. Expert Panel on Integrated Guidelines for Cardiovascular Health and Risk Reduction in Children and Adolescents, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Expert panel on integrated guidelines for cardiovascular health and risk reduction in children and adolescents: summary report. Pediatrics 2011;128( 5 suppl ):S213-S256.
3. Maffeis C, Banzato C, Talamini G, et al. Waist-to-height ratio, a useful index to identify high metabolic risk in overweight children. J Pediatr 2008;152:207-213.
4. Phillips CM. Metabolically healthy obesity: definitions, determinants and clinical implications. Rev Endocr Metab Disord 2013;14:219-227.
5. Lee JM, Okumura MJ, Davis MM, et al. Prevalence and determinants of insulin resistance among U.S. adolescents: a population-based study. Diabetes Care 2006;29:2427-2432.
6. Elmaogullari S, Tepe D, Ucakturk SA, et al. Prevalence of dyslipidemia and associated factors in obese children and adolescents. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol 2015;7:228-234.
7. Freedman DS, Mei Z, Srinivasan SR, et al. Cardiovascular risk factors and excess adiposity among overweight children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study. J Pediatr 2007;150:12-17. e12.
8. Parikh NI, Hwang SJ, Ingelsson E, et al. Breastfeeding in infancy and adult cardiovascular disease risk factors. Am J Med 2009;122:656-663. e1.
9. Stolzer JM. Breastfeeding and obesity: a meta-analysis. Open J Prev Med 2011;1:6.
10. Kappelle PJ, Dullaart RP, van Beek AP, et al. The plasma leptin/adiponectin ratio predicts first cardiovascular event in men: a prospective nested case-control study. Eur J Int Med 2012;23:755-759.
11. McCourt HJ, Hunter SJ, Cardwell CR, et al. Adiponectin multimers, body weight and markers of cardiovascular risk in adolescence: Northern Ireland Young Hearts Project. Int J Obes (Lond) 2013;37:1247-1253.
12. Mirza S, Qu HQ, Li Q, et al. Adiponectin/leptin ratio and metabolic syndrome in a Mexican American population. Clin Invest Med 2011;34:E290.
13. Smith J, Al-Amri M, Sniderman A, et al. Leptin and adiponectin in relation to body fat percentage, waist to hip ratio and the apoB/apoA1 ratio in Asian Indian and Caucasian men and women. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2006;3:18.
14. Jung CH, Rhee EJ, Choi JH, et al. The relationship of adiponectin/leptin ratio with homeostasis model assessment insulin resistance index and metabolic syndrome in apparently healthy Korean male adults. Korean Diabetes J 2010;34:237-243.
15. Finucane FM, Luan J, Wareham NJ, et al. Correlation of the leptin:adiponectin ratio with measures of insulin resistance in non-diabetic individuals. Diabetologia 2009;52:2345-2349.
16. Zaletel J, Barlovic DP, Prezelj J. Adiponectin-leptin ratio: a useful estimate of insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes. J Endocrinol Invest 2010;33:514-518.
17. Keskin M, Kurtoglu S, Kendirci M, et al. Homeostasis model assessment is more reliable than the fasting glucose/insulin ratio and quantitative insulin sensitivity check index for assessing insulin resistance among obese children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2005;115:e500-e503.
18. Koebnick C, Shaibi GQ, Kelly LA, et al. Leptin-to-adiponectin ratio as independent predictor of insulin sensitivity during growth in overweight Hispanic youth. J Endocrinol Invest 2007;30:RC13-RC16.
19. Evelein AM, Geerts CC, Visseren FL, et al. The association between breastfeeding and the cardiovascular system in early childhood. Am J Clin Nutr 2011;93:712-718.
21. Metzger MW, McDade TW. Breastfeeding as obesity prevention in the United States: a sibling difference model. Am J Hum Biol 2010;22:291-296.
22. de Onis M, Onyango AW, Borghi E, et al. Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents. Bull World Health Organ 2007;85:660-667.
23. Nanjee MN, Miller NE. Evaluation of long-term frozen storage of plasma for measurement of high-density lipoprotein and its subfractions by precipitation. Clin Chem 1990;36:783-788.
24. Kahn HS, Imperatore G, Cheng YJ. A population-based comparison of BMI percentiles and waist-to-height ratio for identifying cardiovascular risk in youth. J Pediatr 2005;146:482-488.
26. Harris PA, Taylor R, Thielke R, et al. Research electronic data capture (REDCap)-a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support. J Biomed Inform 2009;42:377-381.
27. Arenz S, Ruckerl R, Koletzko B, et al. Breast-feeding and childhood obesity-a systematic review. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004;28:1247-1256.
28. Weiss R, Dziura J, Burgert TS, et al. Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents. N Engl J Med 2004;350:2362-2374.
29. Friend A, Craig L, Turner S. The prevalence of metabolic syndrome in children: a systematic review of the literature. Metab Syndr Relat Disord 2013;11:71-80.
30. Martin RM, Patel R, Kramer MS, et al. Effects of promoting longer-term and exclusive breastfeeding on cardiometabolic risk factors at age 11.5 years: a cluster-randomized, controlled trial. Circulation 2014;129:321-329.
31. Owen CG, Martin RM, Whincup PH, et al. Does breastfeeding influence risk of type 2 diabetes in later life? A quantitative analysis of published evidence. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:1043-1054.
32. Aaltonen J, Ojala T, Laitinen K, et al. Impact of maternal diet during pregnancy and breastfeeding on infant metabolic programming: a prospective randomized controlled study. Eur J Clin Nutr 2011;65:10-19.
33. Prodam F, Roccio M, Trovato L, et al. Adiponectin oligomers are similarly distributed in adequate-for-gestational-age obese children irrespective of feeding in their first year. Pediatr Res 2015;77:808-813.
34. Rudnicka AR, Owen CG, Strachan DP. The effect of breastfeeding on cardiorespiratory risk factors in adult life. Pediatrics 2007;119:e1107-e1115.
35. James WP. WHO Recognition of the global obesity epidemic. Int J Obes (Lond). 2008;32 (7 suppl) :120S-126S.