2. Kansagara D, Englander H, Salanitro A, et al. Risk prediction models for hospital readmission: a systematic review. JAMA 2011;306:1688-1698.
3. Donzé JD, Williams MV, Robinson EJ, et al. International validity of the HOSPITAL score to predict 30-day potentially avoidable hospital readmissions. JAMA Intern Med 2016;176:496-502.
4. Hansen LO, Young RS, Hinami K, et al. Interventions to reduce 30-day rehospitalization: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med 2011;155:520-528.
5. Leppin AL, Gionfriddo MR, Kessler M, et al. Prevention 30-day hospital readmissions: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. JAMA Intern Med 2014;174:1095-1107.
6. Annema C, Luttik ML, Jaarsma T. Reasons for readmission in heart failure: perspectives of patients, caregivers, cardiologists, and heart failure nurses. Heart Lung 2009;38:427-434.
7. Long T, Genao I, Horwitz LI. Reasons for readmission in an underserved high-risk population: a qualitative analysis of a series of inpatient reviews. BMJ Open 2013;3:e003212.
8. Kangovi S, Barg FK, Carter T, et al. Challenges faced by patients with low socioeconomic status during the post-hospital transition. J Gen Intern Med 2014;29:283-289.
9. Albrecht JS, Gruber-Baldini AL, Hirshon JM, et al. Depressive symptoms and hospital readmission in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 2014;62:495-499.
10. Bennett KJ, Probst JC, Vyavaharkar M, et al. Lower rehospitalization rates among rural Medicare beneficiaries with diabetes. J Rural Health 2012;28:227-234.
11. Beck AF, Simmons JM, Huang B, et al. Geomedicine: area-based socioeconomic measures for assessing risk of hospital reutilization among children admitted for asthma. Am J Public Health 2012;102:2308-2314.
12. Arbaje AI, Wolff JL, Yu Q, et al. Postdischarge environmental and socioeconomic factors and the likelihood of early hospital readmission among community-dwelling Medicare beneficiaries. Gerontologist 2008;48:495-504.
13. Lavernia CJ, Villa JM, Iacobelli DA. Readmission rates in the state of Florida: a reflection of quality? Clin Orthop Relat Res 2013;471:3856-3862.
14. Coffey RM, Misra A, Barrett M, et al. Congestive heart failure: who is likely to be readmitted? Med Care Res Rev 2012;69:602-616.
15. Bradshaw LE, Goldberg SE, Lewis SA, et al. Six-month outcomes following an emergency hospital admission for older adults with co-morbid mental health problems indicate complexity of care needs. Age Ageing 2013;42:582-588.
16. Büla CJ, Wietlisbach V, Burnand B, et al. Depressive symptoms as a predictor of 6-month outcomes and services utilization in elderly medical inpatients. Arch Intern Med 2001;161:2609-2615.
17. Amarasingham R, Moore BJ, Tabak YP, et al. An automated model to identify heart failure patients at risk for 30-day readmission or death using electronic medical record data. Med Care 2010;48:981-988.
18. Doran KM, Ragins KT, Iacomacci AL, et al. The revolving hospital door: hospital readmissions among patients who are homeless. Med Care 2013;51:767-773.
19. Wiggins BS, Rodgers JE, DiDomenico RJ, et al. Discharge counseling for patients with heart failure or myocardial infarction: a best practices model developed by members of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy’ Cardiology Practice and Research Network based on the Hospital to Home (H2H) Initiative. Pharmacotherapy 2013;33:558-580.
20. Lledó R, Martí E, Jiménez C, et al. Characteristics of elderly inpatients at high risk of needing supportive social and health care services. Eur J Epidemiol 1997;13:903-907.
21. Mistry R, Rosansky J, McGuire J, et al. Social isolation predicts re-hospitalization in a group of older American veterans enrolled in the UPBEAT Program. Unified Psychogeriatric Biopsychosocial Evaluation and Treatment. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2001;16:950-959.
22. Löfvenmark C, Mattiasson AC, Billing E, et al. Perceived loneliness and social support in patients with chronic heart failure. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 2009;8:251-258.
23. Depalma G, Xu H, Covinsky KE, et al. Hospital readmission among older adults who return home with unmet need for ADL disability. Gerontologist 2013;53:454-461.
24. Calvillo-King L, Arnold D, Eubank KJ, et al. Impact of social factors on risk of readmission or mortality in pneumonia and heart failure: systematic review. J Gen Intern Med 2013;28:269-282.
25. Allen LA, Smoyer Tomic KE, Smith DM, et al. Rates and predictors of 30-day readmission among commercially insured and Medicaid-enrolled patients hospitalized with systolic heart failure. Circ Heart Fail 2012;5:672-679.
26. Bradley EH, Yakusheva O, Horwitz LI, et al. Identifying patients at increased risk for unplanned readmission. Med Care 2013;51:761-776.
27. Braet A, Weltens C, Sermeus W. Effectiveness of discharge interventions from hospital to home on hospital readmissions: a systematic review. JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep 2016;14:106-173.
28. Herzig SJ, Schnipper JL, Doctoroff L, et al. Physician perspectives on factors contributing to readmissions and potential prevention strategies: a multicenter survey. J Gen Intern Med 2016;31:1287-1293.