1. Kocher RP, Adashi EY. Hospital readmissions and the Affordable Care Act: paying for coordinated quality care. JAMA 2011;306:1794-1795.
2. Anhang Price R, Elliott MN, Zaslavsky AM, et al. Examining the role of patient experience surveys in measuring health care quality. Med Care Res Rev 2014;71:522-554.
3. Doyle C, Lennox L, Bell D. A systematic review of evidence on the links between patient experience and clinical safety and effectiveness. BMJ Open 2013;3:e001570.
4. Phatak A, Prusi R, Ward B, et al. Impact of pharmacist involvement in the transitional care of high-risk patients through medication reconciliation, medication education, and postdischarge call-backs (IPITCH Study). J Hosp Med 2016;11:39-44.
5. Kripalani S, Jackson AT, Schnipper JL, et al. Promoting effective transitions of care at hospital discharge: a review of key issues for hospitalists. J Hosp Med 2007;2:314-323.
6. Conway PH. Value-driven health care: implications for hospitals and hospitalists. J Hosp Med 2009;4:507-511.
7. Jackson GL, Powers BJ, Chatterjee R, et al. The patient-centered medical home: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med 2013;158:169-178.
8. Bahr SJ, Solverson S, Schlidt A, et al. Integrated literature review of postdischarge telephone calls. West J Nurs Res 2014;36:84-104.
9. Banka G, Edgington S, Kyulo N, et al. Improving patient satisfaction through physician education, feedback, and incentives. J Hosp Med 2015;10:497-502.
10. Mann RK, Siddiqui Z, Kurbanova N, et al. Effect of HCAHPS reporting on patient satisfaction with physician communication. J Hosp Med 2016;11:105-110.
11. Indovina K, Keniston A, Reid M, et al. Real-time patient experience surveys of hospitalized medical patients. J Hosp Med 2016;11:251-256.
12. Pregibon D. Logistic regression diagnostics. Ann Stat 1981;9:705-724.
13. Hosmer DW, Hosmer T, Le Cessie S, et al. A comparison of goodness-of-fit tests for the logistic regression model. Stat Med 1997;16:965-980.
14. Jayakody A, Bryant J, Carey M, et al. Effectiveness of interventions utilising telephone follow up in reducing hospital readmission within 30 days for individuals with chronic disease: a systematic review. BMC Health Serv Res 2016;16:403.
15. Branowicki PM, Vessey JA, Graham DA, et al. Meta-analysis of clinical trials that evaluate the effectiveness of hospital-initiated postdischarge interventions on hospital readmission. J Healthc Qual 2017;39:354-366.
16. O'Leary KJ, Darling TA, Rauworth J, et al. Impact of hospitalist communication-skills training on patient-satisfaction scores. J Hosp Med 2013;8:315-320.
17. Velez VJ, Kaw R, Hu B, et al. Do HCAHPS doctor communication scores reflect the communication skills of the attending on record? A cautionary tale from a tertiary-care medical service. J Hosp Med 2017;12:421-427.
18. Kennedy B, Craig JB, Wetsel M, et al. Three nursing interventions' impact on HCAHPS scores. J Nurs Care Qual 2013;28:327-334.
19. Eggenberger T, Garrison H, Hilton N, et al. Discharge phone calls: using person-centred communication to improve outcomes. J Nurs Manag 2013;21:733-739.
20. Guss DA, Leland H, Castillo EM. The impact of post-discharge patient call back on patient satisfaction in two academic emergency departments. J Emerg Med 2013;44:236-241.
21. Guss DA, Gray S, Castillo EM. The impact of patient telephone call after discharge on
likelihood to recommend in an academic emergency department. J Emerg Med 2014;46:560-566.
22. Chan B, Goldman LE, Sarkar U, et al. The effect of a care transition intervention on the patient experience of older multi-lingual adults in the safety net: results of a randomized controlled trial. J Gen Intern Med 2015;30:1788.
23. Schmocker RK, Stafford LMC, Siy AB, et al. Understanding the determinants of patient satisfaction with surgical care using the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems surgical care survey (S-CAHPS). Surgery 2015;158:1724-1733.
24. Peck BM. Age-related differences in doctor-patient interaction and patient satisfaction. Curr Gerontol Geriatr Res 2011;137492.
25. Lemley KB, Marks B. Patient satisfaction of young adults in rural clinics: policy implications for nurse practitioner practice. Policy Polit Nurs Pract 2009;10:143-152.
26. Weaver LA, Doran KA. Telephone follow-up after cardiac surgery: facilitating the transition from hospital to home. Am J Nurs 2001;101:2400.
27. Dale J, Caramlau I, Sturt J, et al. Telephone peer-delivered intervention for diabetes motivation and support: the telecare exploratory RCT. Patient Educ Couns 2009;75:91-98.
28. Smith DM, Weinberger M, Katz BP, et al. Postdischarge care and readmissions. Med Care 1988;:699-708.
29. Lindquist LA, Yamahiro A, Garrett A, et al. Primary care physician communication at hospital discharge reduces medication discrepancies. J Hosp Med 2013;8:672-677.
30. Manary MP, Boulding W, Staelin R, et al. The patient experience and health outcomes. N Engl J Med 2013;368:201-203.
31. Burke RE, Whitfield E, Prochazka AV. Effect of a hospitalist-run postdischarge clinic on outcomes. J Hosp Med 2014;9:7-12.
32. Ottenbacher KJ, Karmarkar A, Graham JE, et al. Thirty-day hospital readmission following discharge from postacute rehabilitation in fee-for-service Medicare patients. JAMA 2014;311:604-614.
33. Burgess D, van Ryn M, Dovidio J, et al. Reducing racial bias among health care providers: lessons from social-cognitive psychology. J Gen Intern Med 2007;22:882-887.
34. FitzGerald C, Hurst S. Implicit bias in healthcare professionals: a systematic review. BMC Med Ethics 2017;18:19.
35. Weinberger M, Oddone EZ, Henderson WG. Does increased access to primary care reduce hospital readmissions? N Engl J Med 1996;334:1441-1447.
36. Elliott MN, Edwards C, Angeles J, et al. Patterns of unit and item nonresponse in the CAHPS® Hospital Survey. Health Serv Res 2005;40:2096-2119.