1. Wilson PW. Diabetes mellitus and coronary heart disease. Am J Kidney Dis 1998;32:S89-S100.
2. McGill HC Jr, McMahan CA. Determinants of atherosclerosis in the young. Pathobiological Determinants of Atherosclerosis in Youth (PDAY) Research Group. Am J Cardiol 1998;82:30T-36T.
4. Stone PH, Muller JE, Hartwell T, et al. The effect of diabetes mellitus on prognosis and serial left ventricular function after acute myocardial infarction: contribution of both coronary disease and diastolic left ventricular dysfunction to the adverse prognosis. The MILIS Study Group. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989;14:49-57.
5. Singer DE, Moulton AW, Nathan DM. Diabetic myocardial infarction. Interaction of diabetes with other preinfarction risk factors. Diabetes 1989;38:350-357.
6. Smith JW, Marcus FI, Serokman R. Prognosis of patients with diabetes mellitus after acute myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol 1984;54:718-721.
7. Buse JB, Ginsberg HN, Bakris GL, et al. Primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases in people with diabetes mellitus: a scientiﬁc statement from the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association. Circulation 2007;115:114-126.
8. Tehrani A, Antovic A, Mobarrez F, et al. High-dose aspirin is required to inﬂuence plasma ﬁbrin network structure in patients with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2012;35:404-408.
9. Undas A, Brummel-Ziedins KE, Mann KG. Antithrombotic properties of aspirin and resistance to aspirin: beyond strictly antiplatelet actions. Blood 2007;109:2285-2292.
10. Cubbon RM, Gale CP, Rajwany A, et al. Aspirin and mortality in patients with diabetes sustaining acute coronary syndrome. Diabetes Care 2008;31:363-365.
11. Antithrombotic Trialists’ Collaboration. Collaborative meta-analysis of randomized trials of antiplatelet therapy for prevention of death, myocardial infarction, and stroke in high risk patients. BMJ 2002;324:71-86.
12. Ogawa H, Nakayama M, Morimoto T, et al. Low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of atherosclerotic events in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2008;300:2134-2141.
13. Belch J, MacCuish A, Campbell I, et al. The prevention of progression of arterial disease and diabetes (POPADAD) trial: factorial randomized placebo controlled trial of aspirin and antioxidants in patients with diabetes and asymptomatic peripheral arterial disease. BMJ 2008;337:a1840.
14. Wolff T, Miller T, Ko S. Aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular events: an update of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2009;150:405-410.
15. US Preventive Services Task Force. Aspirin for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 2009;150:396-404.
16. Pignone M, Alberts MJ, Colwell JA, et al. Aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in people with diabetes: a position statement of the American Diabetes Association, a scientiﬁc statement of the American Heart Association, and an expert consensus document of the American College of Cardiology Foundation. Circulation 2010;121:2694-2701.
17. American Diabetes Association. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes 2012. Diabetes Care 2012;35:S11-S63.
18. Stevens RJ, Kothari V, Adler AI, et al. The UKPDS risk engine: a model for the risk of coronary heart disease in type 2 diabetes. (UKPDS 56) Clin Sci (Lond) 2001;101:671-679.
19. Chambless LE, Folsom AR, Sharrett AR, et al. Coronary heart disease risk prediction in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study. J Clin Epidemiol 2003;56:880-890.
20. American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes--2011. Diabetes Care 2011;34:S11-S61.
21. Allan GM, Nouri F, Korownyk C, et al. Agreement among cardiovascular disease risk calculators. Circulation 2013;127:1948-1956.
22. Goff DC Jr, Lloyd-Jones DM, Bennett G, et al. 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the assessment of cardiovascular risk: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation 2013;November 12 [Epub ahead of print] .
23. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence of coronary heart disease--United States, 2006-2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2011;60;1377-1381.
24. Fang J, Shaw KM, George MG. Prevalence of stroke--United States, 2006-2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2012;61;379-382.
25. Ford ES. Trends in the risk for CHD among adults with diagnosed diabetes in the US. Diabetes Care 2011;34:1337-1343.
26. Folsom AR, Szklo MStevens J, et al. A prospective study of CHD in relation to fasting insulin, glucose and diabetes: the ARIC study. Diabetes Care 1997;20:935-942.
27. Kothari V, Stevens RJ, Adler AI, et al. Risk of stroke in type 2 diabetes estimated by the UKPDS risk engine. Stroke 2002;33:1776-1781.
28. Folsom AR, Chambless LE, Duncan BB, et al. Prediction of Coronary Heart Disease in Middle-Aged Adults With Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2003;26:2777-2784.