4. Texas Health and Human Services Commission. Medicaid Program. Monthly Point-in-Time Enrollment File (Med-ID File). May 2008.
5. Pub L. No. 111-5. American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (2009).
6. Smith VK, Gifford K, Ellis E, et al. Hoping for economic recovery, preparing for health reform: a look at Medicaid spending, coverage and policy trends. Results from a 50-state Medicaid budget survey for state fiscal years 2010 and
. Published September 2010. Accessed February 2010;4:2011.
7. Pub L No. 111-148. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. 2010.
8. Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services, 2010 Poverty Guidelines. aspe.hhs.gov/poverty
. Accessed February 12, 2011.
11. Supra at 10.
14. Texas Health and Human Services Commission. Current Medicaid HMO service areas: counties that serve and surround Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Lubbock, El Paso, and Corpus Christi. http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/medicaid/mc/about/faq.html#5
. Accessed February19, 2012.
17. Supra at 16.
18. Communicating with patients who have limited literacy skills: report of the National Work Group on Literacy and Health. J Fam Pract 1998; 46: 168–176.
19. Zuckerman S, Brennan N, Yemane A. Has Medicaid managed care affected beneficiary access and use? Inquiry 2002; 39: 221–242.
20. Garrett B, Davidoff AJ, Yemane A. Effects of Medicaid managed care programs on health services access and use. Health Serv Res 2003; 38: 575–594.
21. Shi L, Stevens GD, Wulu JT Jr, et al. America’s health centers: reducing racial and ethnic disparities in perinatal care and birth outcomes. Health Serv Res 2004; 39 (6 Pt 1): 1881–1901.
24. Trapp D. Medicaid panel to study access to care, quality. Am Med News 2010.
25. Zuckerman S, Williams AF, Stockley KE. Trends in Medicaid physician fees, 2003-2008. Health Aff (Millwood) 2009; 28: w510–w519.
27. US Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS), 1996–2003.
31. Havighurst CC. Making health plans accountable for the quality of care. Georgia Law Rev 1996; 31: 587–647.
32. Falik M, Needleman J, Herbert R, et al. Comparative effectiveness of health centers as regular source of care. J Ambul Care Manage 2006; 29: 24–35.
33. Field D, Leshen E, Patel K. Driving quality gains and cost savings through adoption of medical homes. Health Aff (Millwood) 2010; 29: 819–826.
34. Newton D, Grayson M. Trends in career choice by US medical school graduates. JAMA 2003; 290: 1179–1182.
35. Dorsey ER, Jarjoura D, Rutecki GW. Influence of controllable lifestyle on recent trends in specialty choice by US medical students. JAMA 2003; 290: 1173–1178.
36. Primary care reform in the USA: a perfect opportunity? Lancet 2010; 375: 1579.
37. Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured. Medicaid as a platform for broader health reform: supporting high-need and low-income populations.http://www.kff.org/medicaid/upload/7898_ES.pdf
. Published May 2009. Accessed February 9, 2011.
38. Medicare Program: Clarifying Policies Related to the Responsibilities of Medicare-Participating Hospitals in Treating Individuals With Emergency Medical Conditions. 42 CFR §§413, 482 and 489 (2003).
39. Supra at 32.
40. Department of Health and Human Services. Testimony on Medicaid upper payment limits by Timothy Westmoreland, Director, Center for Medicaid and State Operations, Health Care Financing Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services, September 6, 2000. www.hhs.gov/asl/testify/t000906a.html
. Accessed June 26, 2012.
41. McKethan A, Menges J. Medicaid Upper Payment Limits: Barriers to Medicaid Managed Care Expansion. Washington, DC: Medicaid Health Plans of America; 2006.
43. Relating to efficiency, cost-saving, fraud prevention, and funding measures for certain health and human services and health benefits programs, including the medical assistance and child health plan programs. TX S. 23, 82nd TX Leg. (2011).
44. Becker H. Health plans see growth in Medicaid. http://www.markfarrah.com.
Published March 25, 2010. Accessed February 9, 2011.
46. Berry E. Mining for Medicaid gold: health plans’ latest profit strategy. Am Med News 2010.