1. Tinetti ME, Speechley M, Ginter SF. Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community. N Engl J Med 1988; 319: 1701–1707.
2. Rubenstein LZ, Josephson KR. The epidemiology of falls and syncope. Clin Geriatr Med 2002; 18: 141–158.
3. Tinetti ME, Kumar C. The patient who falls: “it’s always a trade-off.” JAMA 2010; 303: 258–266.
4. Chang JT, Morton SC, Rubenstein LZ, et al. Interventions for the prevention of falls in older adults: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. Br Med J 2004; 328: 680–686.
5. Milisen K, Geeraerts A, Dejaeger E. Use of a fall prevention practice guideline for community-dwelling older persons at risk for falling: a feasibility study. Gerontology 2009; 55: 169–178.
6. Carpenter CR. Evidence-based emergency medicine/systematic review abstract. Preventing falls in community-dwelling older adults. Ann Emerg Med 2010; 55: 296–298.
7. Hendriks MR, Bleijlevens MH, van Haastregt JC, et al. Lack of effectiveness of a multidisciplinary fall-prevention program in elderly people at risk: a randomized, controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008; 56: 1390–1397.
8. Tinetti ME, Baker DI, King M, et al. Effect of dissemination of evidence in reducing injuries from falls. N Engl J Med 2008; 359: 252–261.
9. Deprey SM. Descriptive analysis of fatal falls of older adults in a Midwestern county in the year 2005. J Geriatr Phys Ther 2009; 32: 23–28.
10. Thierauf A, Preuss J, Lignitz E, et al. Retrospective analysis of fatal falls. Forensic Sci Int 2010; 198: 92–96.
11. Stevens JA, Dellinger AM. Motor vehicle and fall related deaths among older Americans 1990–98: sex, race, and ethnic disparities. Inj Prev 2002; 8: 272–275.
12. Landy DC, Mintzer MJ, Silva AK, et al. Hispanic ethnicity and unintentional injury mortality in the elderly. J Surg Res 2011; 166: 28–31.
13. Landy DC, Mintzer MJ, Silva AK, et al. Hispanic ethnicity and fatal fall risk: do age, gender, and community modify the relationship? J Surg Res 2012; 175: 113–117.
14. Kannus P, Parkkari J, Niemi S, et al. Fall-induced deaths among elderly people. Am J Public Health 2005; 95: 422–424.
15. Faulkner KA, Cauley JA, Zmuda JM, et al. Ethnic differences in the frequency and circumstances of falling in older community-dwelling women. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005; 53: 1774–1779.
16. Reyes-Ortiz CA, Snih SA, Markides KS. Falls among elderly persons in Latin America and the Caribbean and among elderly Mexican-Americans. Rev Panam Salud Publica 2005; 17: 362–369.
17. Warriner AH, Outman RC, Saag KG, et al. Management of osteoporosis among home health and long-term care patients with a prior fracture. South Med J 2009; 102: 397–404.
18. Li W, Keegan THM, Sternfeld B, et al. Outdoor falls among middle-aged and older adults: a neglected public health problem. Am J Public Health 2006; 96: 1192–1200.
19. Bux R, Parzeller M, Bratzke H. Causes and circumstances of fatal falls downstairs. Forensic Sci Int 2007; 171: 122–126.
20. Schwartz AV, Villa ML, Prill M, et al. Falls in older Mexican-American women. J Am Geriatr Soc 1999; 47: 1371–1378.
21. Ellis AA, Trent RB. Hospitalized fall injuries and race in California. Inj Prev 2001; 7: 316–320.
22. Reyes-Ortiz CA, Al Snih S, Loera J, et al. Risk factors for falling in older Mexican Americans. Ethn Dis 2004; 14: 417–422.
23. Orces CH, Alamgir AH. Trends in hip fracture-related mortality in Texas, 1990–2007. South Med J 2011; 104: 482–487.
24. Hill KD, LoGiudice D, Lautenschlager NT, et al. Effectiveness of balance training exercise in people with mild to moderate severity Alzheimer’s disease: protocol for a randomised trial. BMC Geriatr 2009; 9: 29.
25. Flores EK, Henry R, Stewart DW. Pharmacist’s role in an interdisciplinary falls clinic. South Med J 2011; 104: 143–146.
26. Tinetti ME, McAvay GJ, Fried TR, et al. Health outcome priorities among competing cardiovascular, fall injury, and medication-related symptom outcomes. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008; 56: 1409–1416.
27. Sherrington C, Whitney JC, Lord SR, et al. Effective exercise for the prevention of falls: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008; 56: 2234–2243.
28. Martin-Matthews A, Sims-Gould J. Employers, home support workers and elderly clients: identifying key issues in delivery and receipt of home support. Healthc Q 2008; 11: 69–75.
29. Kirby JB, Lau DT. Community and individual race/ethnicity and home health care use among elderly persons in the United States. Health Serv Res 2010; 45: 1251–1267.
30. Ashley A, Butler SS, Fishwick N. Home care aides’ voices from the field: job experiences of personal support specialists. Home Healthc Nurse 2010; 28: 399–405.
31. Alisky JM. Do not overlook polymyalgia rheumatica as a cause for immobility in poorly communicating dementia patients. South Med J 2008; 101: 1277–1278.
33. Koepsell T, McCloskey L, Wolf M, et al. Crosswalk markings and the risk of pedestrian-motor vehicle collisions in older pedestrians. JAMA 2002; 288: 2136–2143.
34. Cayless SM. Slip, trip and fall accidents: relationship to building features and use of coroners’ reports in ascribing cause. Appl Ergon 2001; 32: 155–162.
35. Buki LP, Salazar SI, Pitton VO. Design elements for the development of cancer education print materials for a Latina/o audience. Health Promot Pract 2009; 10: 564–572.
36. Tu SP, Jackson JC, Teh C, et al. Translation challenges of cross-cultural research and program development. Asian Am Pac Isl J Health 2003; 10: 58–66.
37. Keyes KM, Liu XC, Cerda M. The role of race/ethnicity in alcohol-attributable injury in the United States. Epidemiol Rev 2012; 34: 89–102.
38. Sorock GS, Chen L, Gonzalgo SR, et al. Alcohol-drinking history and fatal injury in older adults. Alcohol 2006; 40: 193–199.
39. Jansson B. Coding errors and underestimation of fall injury mortality. Am J Public Health 2005; 95: 1305.
40. Koehler SA, Weiss HB, Shakir A, et al. Accurately assessing elderly fall deaths using hospital discharge and vital statistics data. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 2006; 27: 30–35.