1. Olsen CS, Thomas AM, Singleton M. Motorcycle helmet effectiveness in reducing head, face and brain injuries by state and helmet law. Inj Epidemiol 2016;3:8.
3. Norvell DC, Cummings P. Association of helmet use with death in motorcycle crashes: a matched-pair cohort study. Am J Epidemiol 2002;156:483-487.
4. Tsai YJ, Wang JD, Huang WF. Case-control study of the effectiveness of different types of helmets for the prevention of head injuries among motorcycle riders in Taipei, Taiwan. Am J Epidemiol 1995;142:974-981.
5. Ouellet JV, Kasantikul V. Motorcycle helmet effect on a per-crash basis in Thailand and the United States. Traffic Inj Prev 2006;7:49-54.
6. Gabella B, Reiner KL, Hoffman RE, et al. Relationship of helmet use and head injuries among motorcycle crash victims in El Paso County, Colorado, 1998-1990. Accid Anal Prev 1995;27:363-369.
7. MacLeod JB, Digiacomo JC, Tinkoff G. An evidence-based review: helmet efficacy to reduce head injury and mortality in motorcycle crashes: EAST practice management guidelines. J Trauma 2010;69:1101-1111.
8. Lin MR, Hwang HF, Kuo NW. Crash severity, injury patterns, and helmet use in adolescent motorcycle riders. J Trauma 2001;50:24-30.
9. LaTorre G, Bertazzoni G, Zotta D, et al. Epidemiology of accidents among users of two-wheeled motor vehicles. A surveillance study in two Italian cities. Eur J Public Health 2002;12:99-103.
10. Conrad P, Bradshaw YS, Lamsudin R, et al. Helmets, injuries and cultural definitions: motorcycle injury in urban Indonesia. Accid Anal Prev 1996;28:193-200.
11. Kelly P, Sanson T, Strange G, et al. A prospective study of the impact of helmet usage on motorcycle trauma. Ann Emerg Med 1991;20:852-856.
12. Mertz KJ, Weiss HB. Changes in motorcycle-related head injury deaths, hospitalizations, and hospital charges following repeal of Pennsylvania’ mandatory motorcycle helmet law. Am J Public Health 2008;98:1464-1467.
13. O’ T, Dearwater SR, Gentilello LM, et al. Increased fatalities after motorcycle helmet law repeal: is it all because of lack of helmets? J Trauma 2007;63:1006-1009.
14. Christian WJ, Carroll M, Meyer K, et al. Motorcycle helmets and head injuries in Kentucky, 1995-2000. J Ky Med Assoc 2003;101:21-26.
15. Croce MA, Zarzaur BL, Magnotti LJ, et al. Impact of motorcycle helmets and state laws on society’ burden: a national study. Ann Surg 2009;250:390-394.
16. Ho EL, Haydel MJ. Louisiana motorcycle fatalities linked to statewide helmet law repeal. J La State Med Soc 2004;156: 151-152, 154-155, 157.
17. Houston DJ, Richardson LE, Jr. Motorcycle safety and the repeal of universal helmet laws. Am J Public Health 2007;97:2063-2069.
18. Coben JH, Steiner CA, Miller TR. Characteristics of motorcycle-related hospitalizations: comparing states with different helmet laws. Accid Anal Prev 2007;39:190-196.
19. Federal Highway Administration. Highway statistics 2010: annual vehicle distance traveled in miles and related data-by highway category and vehicle type (table VM-1). Published 2011. Accessed October 17, 2017.
20. Servadei F, Begliomini C, Gardini E, et al. Effect of Italy’ motorcycle helmet law on traumatic brain injuries. Inj Prev 2003;9:257-260.
21. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Countermeasures that work: a highway safety countermeasure guide for state highway safety offices. Sixth edition. https://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/pdf/811444.pdf
. Published 2011. Accessed October 17, 2017.
22. Buckley L, Bingham CR, Flannagan CA, et al. Observation of motorcycle helmet use rates in Michigan after partial repeal of the universal motorcycle helmet law. Accid Anal Prev 2016;95(Pt A):178-186.