1. Chan ED, Chan MM, Chan MM. Pulse oximetry: understanding its basic principles facilitates appreciation of its limitations. Respir Med 2013;107:789-799.
2. Young MP, Gooder VJ, McBride K, et al. Inpatient transfers to the intensive care unit: delays are associated with increased mortality and morbidity. J Gen Intern Med 2003;18:77-83.
3. Neff TA. Routine oximetry. A fifth vital sign? Chest 1988;94:227.
4. Giuliano KK, Liu LM. Knowledge of pulse oximetry among critical care nurses. Dimens Crit Care Nurs 2006;25:44-49.
5. Jubran A. Pulse oximetry. Crit Care 2015;19:272.
6. American Association for Respiratory Care. Clinical practice guideline. Pulse oximetry. Respir Care 1991;36:1406-1409.
7. Technology Assessment Task Force of the Society of Critical Care Medicine. A model for technology assessment applied to pulse oximetry. Crit Care Med 1993;21:615-624.
8. The Consortium on Respiratory Monitoring on the General Care Floor. Principles & guidelines for respiratory monitoring on the general care floor. J Clin Monit 1996;12:411-416.
9. Pretto JJ, Roebuck T, Beckert L, et al. Clinical use of pulse oximetry: official guidelines from the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand. Respirology 2014;19:38-46.
10. Moller JT, Johannessen NW, Espersen K, et al. Randomized evaluation of pulse oximetry in 20,802 patients: II. Perioperative events and postoperative complications. Anesthesiology 1993;78:445-453.
11. Bierman MI, Stein KL, Snyder JV. Pulse oximetry in the postoperative care of cardiac surgical patients. A randomized controlled trial. Chest 1992;102:1367-1370.
12. Moller JT, Jensen PF, Johannessen NW, et al. Hypoxaemia is reduced by pulse oximetry monitoring in the operating theatre and in the recovery room. Br J Anaesth 1992;68:146-150.
13. Moller JT, Svennild I, Johannessen NW, et al. Perioperative monitoring with pulse oximetry and late postoperative cognitive dysfunction. Br J Anaesth 1993;71:340-347.
14. Ochroch EA, Russell MW, Hanson WC, 3rd et al. The impact of continuous pulse oximetry monitoring on intensive care unit admissions from a postsurgical care floor. Anesth Analg 2006;102:868-875.
15. Pedersen T, Nicholson A, Hovhannisyan K, et al. Pulse oximetry for perioperative monitoring. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014;3:CD002013.
16. Taenzer AH, Pyke JB, McGrath SP, et al. Impact of pulse oximetry surveillance on rescue events and intensive care unit transfers: a before-and-after concurrence study. Anesthesiology 2010;112:282-287.
17. Harrison AM, Gajic O, Pickering BW, et al. Development and implementation of sepsis alert systems. Clin Chest Med 2016;37:219-229.
18. Voepel-Lewis T, Parker ML, Burke CN, et al. Pulse oximetry desaturation alarms on a general postoperative adult unit: a prospective observational study of nurse response time. Int J Nurs Stud 2013;50:1351-1358.
19. Bowton DL, Scuderi PE, Harris L, et al. Pulse oximetry monitoring outside the intensive care unit: progress or problem? Ann Intern Med 1991;115:450-454.