1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Reported Tuberculosis in the United States, 1999. Atlanta, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2000.
2. Glaser JB, Greifinger RB. Correctional health care: A public health opportunity. Ann Intern Med 1993; 118: 139–145.
3. Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice. Jails and Jail Inmates 1993–1994 (Bureau of Justice Statistics Bulletin NCJ 151651). Washington, DC, U.S. Department of Justice, 1995.
4. Abeles H, Feibes H, Mandel E, Girard JA. The large city prison: A reservoir of tuberculosis—Tuberculosis control among sentenced male prisoners in New York City. Am Rev Respir Dis 1970; 101: 706–709.
5. Snider DE Jr, Hutton MD. Tuberculosis in correctional institutions. JAMA 1989; 261: 436–437.
6. Bellin EY, Fletcher DD, Safyer SM. Association of tuberculosis infection with increased time in or admission to the New York City jail system. JAMA 1993; 269: 2228–2231.
7. Stead WW. Undetected tuberculosis in prison: Source of infection for community at large. JAMA 1978; 240: 2544–2547.
8. Jones TF, Craig AS, Valway SE, Woodley CL, Schaffner W. Transmission of tuberculosis in a jail. Ann Intern Med 1999; 131: 557–563.
9. Pelletier AR, DiFerdinando GT Jr, Greenberg AJ, Sosin DM, Jones WD Jr, Bloch AB, et al. Tuberculosis in a correctional facility. Arch Intern Med 1993; 153: 2692–2695.
10. Cave MD, Eisenach KD, McDermott PF, Bates JH, Crawford JT. IS6110: Conservation of sequence in the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex and its utilization in DNA fingerprinting. Mol Cell Probes 1991; 5: 73–80.
11. Jones TF, Schaffner W. Miniature chest radiograph screening for tuberculosis in jails: A cost-effectiveness analysis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 164: 77–81.
12. Hammett TM, Harrold L, Epstein J. Tuberculosis in Correctional Facilities. Washington, DC, U.S. Department of Justice, National Institute of Justice, 1994.
13. Skolnick AA. Correctional and community health care collaborations. JAMA 1998; 279: 98–99.
14. Geiter L; Committee on the Elimination of Tuberculosis in the United States, Institute of Medicine (eds). Ending Neglect: The Elimination of Tuberculosis in the United States. Washington, DC, National Academy Press, 2000.