1. Minino AM, Xu J, Kochanek KD. Deaths: Preliminary Date for 2008. National Vital Statistics Reports 59. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2010.
2. Rabe KF, Hurd S, Anzueto A, et al. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2007; 176: 532–555.
3. Cai J. Thoracic transplantation in the United States: an analysis of UNOS Registry data. Clin Transpl 2006: 41–56.
4. Fishman A, Martinez F, Naunheim K, et al. A randomized trial comparing lung-volume-reduction surgery with medical therapy for severe emphysema. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 2059–2073.
5. Barnes PJ. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 2000; 343: 269–280.
6. Cooper CB, Dransfield M. Primary care of the patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease—part 4: understanding the clinical manifestations of a progressive disease. Am J Med 2008; 121 (7 suppl): S33–S45.
7. O’Donnell DE. Hyperinflation, dyspnea, and exercise intolerance in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2006; 3: 180–184.
8. Vassaux C, Torre-Bouscoulet L, Zeineldine S, et al. Effects of hyperinflation on the oxygen pulse as a marker of cardiac performance in COPD. Eur Respir J 2008; 32: 1275–1282.
9. Casanova C, Cote C, de Torres JP, et al. Inspiratory-to-total lung capacity ratio predicts mortality in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005; 171: 591–597.
10. Patel N, DeCamp M, Criner GJ. Lung transplantation and lung volume reduction surgery versus transplantation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2008; 5: 447–453.
11. Cooper JD, Trulock EP, Triantafillou AN, et al. Bilateral pneumectomy (volume reduction) for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1995; 109: 106–116; discussion 116–119.
12. McKenna RJ Jr., Brenner M, Gelb AF, et al. A randomized, prospective trial of stapled lung reduction versus laser bullectomy for diffuse emphysema. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1996; 111: 317–321; discussion 322.
13. Cooper JD, Patterson GA, Sundaresan RS, et al. Results of 150 consecutive bilateral lung volume reduction procedures in patients with severe emphysema. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1996; 112: 1319–1329; discussion 1329–1330.
14. Daniel TM, Chan BB, Bhaskar V, et al. Lung volume reduction surgery. Case selection, operative technique, and clinical results. Ann Surg 1996; 223: 526–531; discussion 532–533.
15. Naunheim KS, Wood DE, Mohsenifar Z, et al. Long-term follow-up of patients receiving lung-volume-reduction surgery versus medical therapy for severe emphysema by the National Emphysema Treatment Trial Research Group. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 82: 431–443.
16. Quinn DW, Pagano D, Bonser RS, et al. Improved myocardial protection during coronary artery surgery with glucose-insulin-potassium: a randomized controlled trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006; 131: 34–42.
17. DeCamp MM, Blackstone EH, Naunheim KS, et al. Patient and surgical factors influencing air leak after lung volume reduction surgery: lessons learned from the National Emphysema Treatment Trial. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 82: 197–206; discussion 206–207.
18. Ramsey SD, Berry K, Etzioni R, et al. Cost effectiveness of lung-volume-reduction surgery for patients with severe emphysema. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 2092–2102.
19. Toma TP, Hopkinson NS, Hillier J, et al. Bronchoscopic volume reduction with valve implants in patients with severe emphysema. Lancet 2003; 361: 931–933.
20. Fujii A, Misumi Y, Hiyama J, et al. Case of intractable hemoptysis controlled by bronchial occlusion with an Endobronchial Watanabe Spigot (EWS). Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 2008; 46: 416–419.
21. Sabanathan S, Richardson J, Pieri-Davies S. Bronchoscopic lung volume reduction. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2003; 44: 101–108.
22. Wan IY, Toma TP, Geddes DM, et al. Bronchoscopic lung volume reduction for end-stage emphysema: report on the first 98 patients. Chest 2006; 129: 518–526.
23. Wood DE, McKenna RJ Jr., Yusen RD, et al. A multicenter trial of an intrabronchial valve for treatment of severe emphysema. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007; 133: 65–73.
24. Sciurba FC, Ernst A, Herth FJ, et al. A randomized study of endobronchial valves for advanced emphysema. N Engl J Med 2010; 363: 1233–1244.
25. Cardoso PF, Snell GI, Hopkins P, et al. Clinical application of airway bypass with paclitaxel-eluting stents: early results. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007; 134: 974–981.
26. Choong CK, Cardoso PF, Sybrecht GW, et al. Airway bypass treatment of severe homogeneous emphysema: taking advantage of collateral ventilation. Thorac Surg Clin 2009; 19: 239–245.
27. Shah PL, Slebos DJ, Cardoso PF, et al. Bronchoscopic lung-volume reduction with Exhale Airway Stents for Emphysema (EASE trial): randomised, sham-controlled, multicentre trial. Lancet 2011; 378: 997–1005.
28. Herth FJ, Eberhard R, Gompelmann D, et al. Bronchoscopic lung volume reduction with a dedicated coil: a clinical pilot study. Ther Adv Respir Dis 2010; 4: 225–231.
29. Ingenito EP, Tsai LW. Evolving endoscopic approaches for treatment of emphysema. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007; 19: 181–189.
30. Snell GI, Hopkins P, Westall G, et al. A feasibility and safety study of bronchoscopic thermal vapor ablation: a novel emphysema therapy. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 88: 1993–1998.
31. Reilly J, Washko G, Pinto-Plata V, et al. Biological lung volume reduction: a new bronchoscopic therapy for advanced emphysema. Chest 2007; 131: 1108–1113.
32. Criner GJ, Pinto-Plata V, Strange C, et al. Biologic lung volume reduction in advanced upper lobe emphysema: phase 2 results. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2009; 179: 791–798.
33. Refaely Y, Dransfield M, Kramer MR, et al. Biologic lung volume reduction therapy for advanced homogeneous emphysema. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 20–27.