1. Gonzales G, Henning-Smith C. Barriers to care among transgender and gender nonconforming adults. Milbank Q 2017;95:726–748.
2. Borgogna NC, McDermott RC, Aita SL, et al. Anxiety and depression across gender and sexual minorities: implications for transgender, gender nonconforming, pansexual, demisexual, asexual, queer, and questioning individuals. Psychol Sex Orientat Gend Divers 2019;6:54–63.
3. Guss CE, Woolverton GA, Borus J, et al. Transgender adolescents’ experiences in primary care: a qualitative study. J Adolesc Health 2019;65:344–349.
4. Hughto JMW, Pachankis JE, Reisner SL. Healthcare mistreatment and avoidance in trans masculine adults: the mediating role of rejection sensitivity. Psychol Sex Orientat Gend Divers 2018;5:471–481.
6. Stroumsa D, Shires DA, Richardson CR, et al. Transphobia rather than education predicts provider knowledge of transgender health care. Med Educ 2019;53:398–407.
7. Walker RV, Powers SM, Witten TM. Impact of anticipated bias from healthcare professionals on perceived successful aging among transgender and gender nonconforming older adults. LGBT Health 2017;4:427–433.
8. Kattari SK, Bakko M, Langenderfer-Magruder L, et al. Transgender and nonbinary experiences of victimization in health care. J Interpers Violence 2020;doi: 10.1177/0886260520905091.
9. Eisenberg ME, Gower AL, McMorris BJ, et al. Risk and protective factors in the lives of transgender/gender nonconforming adolescents. J Adolesc Health Off Publ Soc Adolesc Med 2017;61:521–526.
10. Quinn GP, Sutton SK, Winfield B, et al. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning (LGBTQ) perceptions and health care experiences. J Gay Lesbian Soc Serv 2015;27:246–261.
12. Löwe B, Decker O, Müller S, et al. Validation and standardization of the Generalized Anxiety Disorder Screener (GAD-7) in the general population. Med Care 2008;46:266–274.
13. Kocalevent R-D, Hinz A, Brähler E. Standardization of the depression screener patient health questionnaire (PHQ-9) in the general population. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2013;35:551–555.
14. Ryan C, Toomey RB, Diaz RM, et al. Parent-initiated sexual orientation change efforts with LGBT adolescents: implications for young adult mental health and adjustment. J Homosex 2020;67:159–173.
15. Drescher J, Pula J. Ethical issues raised by the treatment of gender-variant prepubescent children. Hastings Cent Rep 2014;44(suppl 4):S17–S22.
16. Dubin S, Lane M, Morrison S, et al. Medically assisted gender affirmation: when children and parents disagree. J Med Ethics 2020;46:295–299.
17. Rafferty J, Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health, Committee on Adolescence, et al. Ensuring comprehensive care and support for transgender and gender-diverse children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2018;142:e20182162.
18. Health care for transgender and gender diverse individuals. ACOG Committee Opinion No. 823. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol 2021;137:e75–88.
20. American Psychological Association. Guidelines for psychological practice with transgender and gender nonconforming people. Am Psychol 2015;70:832–864.
21. Koehler A, Eyssel J, Nieder TO. Genders and individual treatment progress in (non-)binary trans individuals. J Sex Med 2018;15:102–113.
22. Independent Forensic Expert Group. Statement on conversion therapy. J Forensic Leg Med 2020;72:101930.
23. Turban JL, Beckwith N, Reisner SL, et al. Association between recalled exposure to gender identity conversion efforts and psychological distress and suicide attempts among transgender adults. JAMA Psychiatry 2020;77:68–76.
24. Canner JK, Harfouch O, Kodadek LM, et al. Temporal trends in gender-affirming surgery among transgender patients in the United States. JAMA Surg 2018;153:609–616.
25. Nolan IT, Kuhner CJ, Dy GW. Demographic and temporal trends in transgender identities and gender confirming surgery. Transl Androl Urol 2019;8:184–190.
26. Adams NJ, Vincent B. Suicidal thoughts and behaviors among transgender adults in relation to education, ethnicity, and income: a systematic review. Transgender Health 2019;4:226–246.
27. Testa RJ, Habarth J, Peta J, et al. Development of the Gender Minority Stress and Resilience Measure. Psychol Sex Orientat Gend Divers 2015;2:65–77.
28. Maughan B, Rutter M. Retrospective reporting of childhood adversity: issues in assessing long-term recall. J Pers Disord 1997;11:19–33.
29. Schraedley PK, Turner RJ, Gotlib IH. Stability of retrospective reports in depression: traumatic events, past depressive episodes, and parental psychopathology. J Health Soc Behav 2002;43:307–316.
30. Frampton NMA, Poole JC, Dobson KS, et al. The effects of adult depression on the recollection of adverse childhood experiences. Child Abuse Negl 2018;86:45–54.
31. Dube SR, Williamson DF, Thompson T, et al. Assessing the reliability of retrospective reports of adverse childhood experiences among adult HMO members attending a primary care clinic. Child Abuse Negl 2004;28:729–737.
32. Colman I, Kingsbury M, Garad Y, et al. Consistency in adult reporting of adverse childhood experiences. Psychol Med 2016;46:543–549.
33. Howard SD, Lee KL, Nathan AG, et al. Healthcare experiences of transgender people of color. J Gen Intern Med 2019;34:2068–2074.