1. National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Office on Smoking and Health. The Health Consequences of Smoking-50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA:Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;2014.
2. Cummings KM, Proctor RN. The changing public image of smoking in the United States: 1964-2014. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2014;23:32-36.
3. Jha P, Ramasundarahettige C, Landsman V, et al. 21st-century hazards of smoking and benefits of cessation in the United States. N Engl J Med 2013;368:341-350.
4. Thun MJ, Carter BD, Feskanich D, et al. 50-year trends in smoking-related mortality in the United States. N Engl J Med 2013;368:351-364.
5. Cottrell L, Gibson M, Harris C, et al. Examining smoking and cessation during pregnancy among an Appalachian sample: a preliminary view. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 2007;2:14.
7. Messner B, Bernhard D. Smoking and cardiovascular disease mechanisms of endothelial dysfunction and early atherogenesis. Arterioscl Thromb Vasc Biol 2014;34:509-515.
11. Otsuka R, Watanabe H, Hirata K, et al. Acute effects of passive smoking on the coronary circulation in healthy young adults. JAMA 2001;286:436-441.
12. Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Cardiovascular effects of secondhand smoke: nearly as large as smoking. Circulation 2005;111:2684-2698.
13. Zhu S-H, Lee M, Zhuang Y-L, et al. Interventions to increase smoking cessation at the population level: how much progress has been made in the last two decades? Tob Control 2012;21:110-118.
14. Rando-Matos Y, Pons-Vigué M, Ló MJ, et al. Smokefree legislation effects on respiratory and sensory disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 2017;12:e0181035.
15. Faber T, Kumar A, Mackenbach JP, et al. Effect of tobacco control policies on perinatal and child health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Public Health 2017;2:e420-e437.
16. Chilmonczyk BA, Salmun LM, Megathlin KN, et al. Association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and exacerbations of asthma in children. N Engl J Med 1993;328:1665-1669.
17. Zhu B-Q, Heeschen C, Sievers RE, et al. Second hand smoke stimulates tumor angiogenesis and growth. Cancer Cell 2003;4:191-196.
18. Eisner MD, Klein J, Hammond SK, et al. Directly measured second hand smoke exposure and asthma health outcomes. Thorax 2005;60:814-821.
19. Houston TK, Person SD, Pletcher MJ, et al. Active and passive smoking and development of glucose intolerance among young adults in a prospective cohort: CARDIA study. BMJ 2006;332:1064-1069.
20. Akter S, Okazaki H, Kuwahara K, et al. Smoking, smoking cessation, and the risk of type 2 diabetes among Japanese adults: Japan Epidemiology Collaboration on Occupational Health Study. PLoS One 2015;10:e0132166.
21. Rayens MK, Burkhart PV, Zhang M, et al. Reduction in asthma-related emergency department visits after implementation of a smoke-free law. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008;122:537-541.e3.
22. Kim SY. Secondhand smoke exposure, depression symptoms, and suicidal ideation in adults. Korean J Fam Med 2016;37:77.
23. Fleming P, Blair PS. Sudden infant death syndrome and parental smoking. Early Hum Devel 2007;83:721-725.
24. Institute of Medicine Committee on Secondhand Smoke Exposure and Acute Coronary Events. Secondhand Smoke Exposure and Cardiovascular Effects: Making Sense of the Evidence. Washington, DC:National Academies Press;2010.
25. Lightwood JM, Glantz SA. Declines in acute myocardial infarction after smoke-free laws and individual risk attributable to secondhand smoke. Circulation 2009;120:1373-1379.
26. Hahn EJ, Rayens MK, Adkins S, et al. Fewer hospitalizations for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in communities with smoke-free public policies. Am J Public Health 2014;104:1059-1065.
27. Frazer K, McHugh J, Callinan JE, et al. Impact of institutional smoking bans on reducing harms and secondhand smoke exposure. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016;5:CD011856.
28. More Kentucky Cities Are Kicking Butts Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Frankfort Ky.
29. Hahn EJ, Rayens MK, York N. Readiness for smoke-free policy and overall strength of tobacco control in rural tobacco-growing communities. Health Promot Pract 2013;14:238-246.
30. Klein EG, Liu ST, Conrey EJ. Comprehensive smoke-free policies: a tool for improving preconception health? Matern Child Health J 2014;18:146-152.
31. Mackay DF, Haw S, Pell JP. Impact of Scottish smoke-free legislation on smoking quit attempts and prevalence. PLoS One 2011;6:e26188.
32. Ferrante D, Linetzky B, Virgolini M, et al. Reduction in hospital admissions for acute coronary syndrome after the successful implementation of 100% smoke-free legislation in Argentina: a comparison with partial smoking restrictions. Tob Control 2012;21:402-406.
33. Gualano MR, Bert F, Scaioli G, et al. Smoking ban policies in Italy and the potential impact of the so-called Sirchia law: state of the art after eight years. Biomed Res Int 2014; 2014:293219.
34. Federico B, Mackenbach JP, Eikemo TA, et al. Impact of the 2005 smoke-free policy in Italy on prevalence, cessation and intensity of smoking in the overall population and by educational group. Addiction 2012;107:1677-1686.
35. Gallus S, Pacifici R, Colombo P, et al. Prevalence of smoking and attitude towards smoking regulation in Italy, 2004. Eur J Cancer Prev 2006;15:77-81.
36. Hahn EJ, Rayens MK, Wiggins AT, et al. Lung cancer incidence and the strength of municipal smoke-free ordinances. Cancer 2018;124:374-380.
37. Albers AB, Siegel M, Cheng DM, et al. Effect of smoking regulations in local restaurants on smokers’ anti-smoking attitudes and quitting behaviours. Tob Control 2007;16:101-106.
40. Taylor T, Cooper TV, Hernandez N, et al. A smoke-free Paso del Norte: impact over 10 years on smoking prevalence using the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Am J Public Health 2012;102:899-908.
41. Nguyen K, Wright R, Sorensen G, et al. Association between local indoor smoking ordinances in Massachusetts and cigarette smoking during pregnancy: a multilevel analysis. Tob Control 2013;22:184-189.
42. Drope J, Liber AC, Cahn Z, et al. Who's still smoking? Disparities in adult cigarette smoking prevalence in the United States. CA Cancer J Clin 2018;68:106-115.
43. Whitson HE, Heflin MT, Burchett BM. Patterns and predictors of smoking cessation in an elderly cohort. J Am Geriatr Soc 2006;54:466-471.
44. Nelson DE, Mowery P, Asman K, et al. Long-term trends in adolescent and young adult smoking in the United States: metapatterns and implications. Am J Public Health 2008;98:905-915.