1. Shah S, Shindler D. Echoes from the past and questions for the future. N J Med 2002;99:26–27.
2. Hagen PT, Scholz DG, Edwards WD. Incidence and size of patent foramen ovale during the first 10 decades of life: an autopsy study of 965 normal hearts. Mayo Clin Proc 1984;59:17–20.
3. Hoffman JI, Kaplan S. The incidence of congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002;39:1890–1900.
4. Lind J, Welgelius C. Angiocardiographic studies in children. Adv Pediatr 1952;5:154–194.
5. Eggebrecht H, Naber CK, Plato C, et al. Analysis of fossa ovalis membrane velocities by transesophageal Doppler tissue echocardiography: a novel approach to functional assessment of patent foramen ovale. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2004;17:1161–1166.
6. Anderson KR, Lie JT. Pathologic anatomy of the Ebstein’s anomaly of the heart revisited. Am J Cardiol 1978;41:739–745.
7. Anderson KR, Zuberbuhler JR, Anderson RH, et al. Morphologic spectrum of Ebstein’s anomaly of the heart: a review. Mayo Clin Proc 1979;54:174–180.
8. Heiner DC, Nadas AS. Patent ductus arteriousus in association with pulmonary stenosis: a report of six cases with additional non-cardiac congenital anomalies. Circulation 1958;17:232–242.
9. Arnett EN, Aisner SC, Lewis KB, et al. Pulmonary stenosis, atrial septal defect and left-to-right shunt with intact ventricular septum: a distinct hemodynamic-morphologic syndrome. Chest 1980;78:759–762.
10. Campbell M. Simple pulmonary stenosis, pulmonary valvular stenosis with a closed ventricular septum. Br Heart J 1954;16:273–300.
11. Dick M, Fyler DC, Nadas AS. Tricuspid atresia: clinical courses in 101 patients. Am J Cardiol1975;36:327–337.
12. Lechat P, Mas JL, Lascault G, et al. Prevalence of patent foramen ovale in patients with stroke. N Engl J Med 1988;318:1148–1152.
13. Overell JR, Bone I, Less KR. Interatrial septal abnormalities and stroke: a meta-analysis of case-control studies. Neurology 2000;55:1172–1179.
14. Homma S, Di Tullio MR, Sacco RL, et al. Characteristics of patent foramen ovale associated with cryptogenic stroke: a biplane transesophageal echocardiographic study. Stroke 1994;25:582–586.
15. Homma S, Sacco RL, Di Tullio MR, et al. Effect of medical treatment in stroke patients with patent foramen ovale: patent foramen ovale in Cryptogenic Stroke Study. Circulation 2002;105:2625–2631.
16. Kerut EK, Norfleet WT, Plotnick GD, et al. Patent foramen ovale: a review of associated conditions and the impact of physiological size. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001;38613–623.
17. Meacham III, RR Headley AS, Bronze MS, et al. Impending paradoxical embolism. Arch Intern Med1998;158:438–448.
18. Falk RH. PFO or UFO? The role of a patent foramen ovale in cryptogenic stroke. Am Heart J1991;121:1264–1266.
19. Mohr JP. Cryptogenic stroke. N Engl J Med 1988;318:1197–1198.
20. Stollberger C, Slany J, Schuster I, et al. The prevalence of deep venous thrombosis in patients with suspected paradoxical embolism. Ann Intern Med 1993;119:461–465.
21. Schuchlenz HW, Weihs W, Horner S, et al. The association between the diameter of a patent foramen ovale and the risk of embolic cerebrovascular events. Am J Med 2000;109:456–462.
22. Serena J, Segura T, Perez-Ayuso MJ, et al. The need to quantify right-to-left shunt in acute ischemic stroke: a case-control study. Stroke 1998;29:1322–1328.
23. De Castro S, Cartoni D, Fiorelli M, et al. Morphological and functional characteristics of patent foramen ovale and their embolic implications. Stroke 2000;31:2407–2413.
24. Mas JL, Arquizan C, Lamy C, et al. Recurrent cerebrovascular events associated with patent foramen ovale, atrial septal aneurysm, or both. N Engl J Med 2001;345:1740–1746.
25. Hung J, Landzberg MJ, Jenkins KJ, et al. Closure of patent foramen ovale for paradoxical emboli: intermediate-term risk of recurrent neurological events following transcatheter device placement. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;35:1311–1316.
26. Schwerzmann M, Wiher S, Nedeltchev K, et al. Percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale reduces the frequency of migraine attacks. Neurology 2004;62:1399–1401.
27. Morandi E, Anzola GP, Angeli S, et al. Transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale: a new migraine treatment? J Interv Cardiol 2003:16; 39–42.
28. Wilmhurst P, Byrne JC, Webb MM. Relation between interatrial shunt and decompression sickness in divers. Lancet 1989;11:1302–1306.
29. Balestra C, Germanpre F, Vanderschueren C, et al. Intrathoracic pressure rise after isometric effort and Valsalva maneuver are identical-possible implications for divers with PFO. Proceedings of the International Joint Meeting on Hyperbaric and Under Water Medicine (edited by Marroni A, Wattel F, et al). 1996:513–516.
30. Wilmhurst P, Davidson C, O’Connell G, et al. Role of cardiorespiratory abnormalities, smoking in divers: characteristic in manifestations of decompression illness. Clin Sci 1994;86:297–303.
31. Shanoudy H, Soliman A, Raggi P, et al. Prevalence of patent foramen ovale and its contribution to hypoxemia in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Chest 1998;113:91–96.
32. Beelke M, Angeli S, Del Sette M, et al. Prevalence of patent foramen ovale in subjects with obstructive sleep apnea: a transcranial Doppler ultrasound study. Sleep Med 2003;4:219–223.
33. Tabry I, Villanueva L, Walker E. Patent foramen ovale causing refractory hypoxemia after off-pump coronary artery bypass: a case report. Heart Surg Forum 2003;6:E74–E76.
34. Schoevaerdts D, Gonzalez M, Evrard P, et al. Patent foramen ovale: a cause of significant post-coronary artery bypass grafting morbidity. Cardiovasc Surg 2002;10:615–617.
35. Pearson AC, Labovitz AJ, Tatineni S, et al. Superiority of transesophageal echocardiography in detecting cardiac source of embolism in patients with cerebral ischemia of uncertain etiology. J Am Coll Cardiol 1991;17:66–72.
36. Lee RJ, Bartzokis T, Yeoh TK, et al. Enhanced detection of intracardiac sources of cerebral emboli by transesophageal echocardiography. Stroke 1991;22:734–739.
37. Chenzbraun A, Pinto FJ, Schnittger I. Biplane transesophageal echocardiography in the diagnosis of patent foramen ovale. J Am Soc Ecgocardiogr 1993;6:417–421.
38. Schuchlenz HW, Weihs W, Horner S, et al. The association between the diameter of a patent foramen ovale and the risk of embolic cerebrovascular events. Am J Med 2000;109:456–462.
39. Schuchlenz HW, Weihs W, Beitzke A, et al. Transesophageal echocardiography for quantifying size of patent foramen ovale in patients with cryptogenic cerebrovascular events. Stroke 2002;33:293–296.
40. Agmon Y, Khandheria BK, Meissner I, et al. Comparison of frequency of patent foramen ovale by transesophageal echocardiography in patients with cerebral ischemic events versus in subjects in the general population. Am J Cardiol 2001;88:330–332.
41. Gin KG, Huckell VF, Pollick C. Femoral vein delivery of contrast medium enhances transthoracic echocardiographic detection of patent foramen ovale. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993;22:1994–2000.
42. Schuchlenz HW, Saurer G, Weihs W, et al. Persisting eustachian valve in adults: relation to patent foramen ovale and cerebrovascular events. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2004;17:231–233.
43. Ahmed S, Nanda NC, Nekkanti R, et al. Contrast transesophageal echocardiographic detection of a pulmonary arteriovenous malformation draining into left lower pulmonary vein. Echocardiography2003;20:391–394.
44. Naqvi TZ, Nagai T, Atar S, et al. Early appearance of echo-contrast simulating an intracardiac shunt in a patient with liver cirrhosis and intrapulmonary shunting. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2002;15:379–381.
45. Nanthakumar K, Graham AT, Robinson TI, et al. Contrast echocardiography for detection of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations. Am Heart J 2001;141:243–246.
46. Blersch WK, Draganski BM, Holmer SR, et al. Transcranial duplex sonography in the detection of patent foramen ovale. Radiology 2002;225:693–699.
47. Mas JL, Zuber M. Recurrent cerebrovascular events in patients with patent foramen ovale, atrial septal aneurysm, or both and cryptogenic stroke or transient ischemic attack: French Study Group on Patent Foramen Ovale and Atrial Septal Aneurysm. Am Heart J 1995;130:1083–1088.
48. Bogousslavsky J, Garazi S, Jeanrenaud X, et al. Stroke recurrence in patients with patent foramen ovale: the Lausanne Study: Lausanne Stroke with Paradoxical Embolism Study Group. Neurology1996;46:1301–1305.
49. Windecker S, Wahl A, Nedeltchev K, et al. Comparison of medical treatment with percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale in patients with cryptogenic stroke. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004;44:750–758.
50. Bridges ND, Hellenbrand W, Latson L, et al. Transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale after presumed paradoxical embolism. Circulation 1992;86:1902–1908.
51. Windecker S, Wahl A, Chatterjee T, et al. Percutaneous closure of PFO in patients with paradoxical embolism: long-term risks of thromboembolic events. Circulation 2000;101:893–898.
52. Khairy P, O’ Donnell CP, Landzberg MJ. Transcatheter closure versus medical therapy of patent foramen ovale and presumed paradoxical thromboemboli: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med2003;139:753–760.
53. Minneapolis Heart Institute web site. CardiaSTAR Trial. A United States randomized clinical trial of CardiaSTAR patent foramen ovale closure system. Available at: http://www.mplsheart.com
54. The Internet Stroke Center web site. Stroke trial directory. Trail PC: patent foramen ovale and cryptogenic embolism. Available at: http://www.strokecenter.org
55. Horton SC, Bunch TJ. Patent foramen ovale and stroke. Mayo Clin Proc 2004;79:79–88.
56. Homma S, Di Tullio MR, Sacco RL, et al. Surgical closure of patent foramen ovale in cryptogenic stroke patients. Stroke 1997;28:2376–2381.
57. Guffi M, Bogousslavsky J, Jeaneraud X, et al. Surgical prophylaxis of recurrent stroke in patients with patent foramen ovale: a pilot study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1996;112:260–263.
58. Ruchat P, Bogousslavsky J, Hurni M, et al. Systemic surgical closure of patent foramen ovale in selected patients with cerebrovascular events due to paradoxical embolism: early results of a preliminary study. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1997;11:824–827.
59. Dearani JA, Ugurlu BS, Danielson GK, et al. Surgical patent foramen ovale closure for prevention of paradoxical embolism-related cerebrovascular ischemic events. Circulation 1999;100(Suppl II):II-171–II-175.
60. Knauth M, Ries S, Pohimann S, et al. Cohort study of multiple brain lesions in sport divers: role of patent foramen ovale. BMJ 1997;314:701–705.
61. Begin R, Gervais A, Guerin L, et al. Patent foramen ovale and hypoxemia in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur J Respir Dis 1981;62:373–375.
62. Azarbal B, Tobis J, Suh W, et al. Association of interatrial shunts and migraine headaches: impact of transcatheter closure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005;45:489–492.