1. Bhagra A, Tierney DM, Sekiguchi H, et al. Point-of-care ultrasonography for primary care physicians and general internists. Mayo Clin Proc 2016;91:1811-1827.
2. Moore CL, Copel JA. Point-of-care ultrasonography. N Engl J Med 2011;364:749-757.
3. Shorter M, Macias DJ. Portable handheld ultrasound in austere environments: use in the Haiti disaster. Prehosp Disaster Med 2012;27:172-177.
4. Kotlyar S, Moore CL. Assessing the utility of ultrasound in Liberia. J Emerg Trauma Shock 2008;1:10-14.
5. Epstein D, Petersiel N, Klein E, et al. Pocket-size point-of-care ultrasound in rural Uganda-a unique opportunity “to see,” where no imaging facilities are available. Travel Med Infect Dis 2018;S1477-8939:30001-2.
8. Rambaud-Althaus C, Althaus F, Genton B, et al. Clinical features for diagnosis of pneumonia in children younger than 5 years: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 2015;15:439-450.
9. Volpicelli G, Elbarbary M, Blaivas M, et al. International evidence-based recommendations for point-of-care lung ultrasound. Intensive Care Med 2012;38:577-591.
10. Shah VP, Tunik MG, Tsung JW. Prospective evaluation of point-of-care ultrasonography for the diagnosis of pneumonia in children and young adults. JAMA Pediatr 2013;167:119-125.
11. Llamas-Álvarez AM, Tenza-Lozano EM, Latour-Pérez J. Accuracy of lung ultrasonography in the diagnosis of pneumonia in adults: systematic review and meta-analysis. Chest 2017;151:374-382.
12. Pereda MA, Chavez MA, Hooper-Miele CC, et al. Lung ultrasound for the diagnosis of pneumonia in children: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics 2015;135:714-722.
13. Stadler JAM, Andronikou S, Zar HJ. Lung ultrasound for the diagnosis of community-acquired pneumonia in children. Pediatr Radiol 2017;47:1412-1419.
14. Guerra M, Crichiutti G, Pecile P, et al. Ultrasound detection of pneumonia in febrile children with respiratory distress: a prospective study. Eur J Pediatr 2016;175:163-170.
15. Jones BP, Tay ET, Elikashvili I, et al. Feasibility and safety of substituting lung ultrasonography for chest radiography when diagnosing pneumonia in children: a randomized controlled trial. Chest 2016;150:131-138.
16. Chavez MA, Naithani N, Gilman RH, et al. Agreement between the World Health Organization algorithm and lung consolidation identified using point-of-care ultrasound for the diagnosis of childhood pneumonia by general practitioners. Lung 2015;193:531-538.
17. Volpicelli G, Caramello V, Cardinale L, et al. Detection of sonographic B-lines in patients with normal lung or radiographic alveolar consolidation. Med Sci Monit 2008;14:CR122-CR128.
19. Getahun H, Gunneberg C, Granich R, et al. HIV infection-associated tuberculosis: the epidemiology and the response. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50( Suppl 3 ):S201-S207a.
20. Heller T, Goblirsch S, Wallrauch C, et al. Abdominal tuberculosis: sonographic diagnosis and treatment response in HIV-positive adults in rural South Africa. Int J Infect Dis 2010;14(Suppl 3 ):e108-e112.
21. Reuter H, Burgess LJ, Doubell AF. Epidemiology of pericardial effusions at a large academic hospital in South Africa. Epidemiol Infect 2005;133:393-399.
22. Luzze H, Elliott AM, Joloba ML, et al. Evaluation of suspected tuberculous pleurisy: clinical and diagnostic findings in HIV-1-positive and HIV-negative adults in Uganda. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2001;5:746-753.
23. Heller T, Wallrauch C, Goblirsch S, et al. Focused assessment with sonography for HIV-associated tuberculosis (FASH): a short protocol and a pictorial review. Crit Ultrasound J 2012;4:21.
24. Giordani MT, Brunetti E, Binazzi R, et al. Extrapulmonary mycobacterial infections in a cohort of HIV-positive patients: ultrasound experience from Vicenza, Italy. Infection 2013;41:409-414.
25. Bélard S, Tamarozzi F, Bustinduy AL, et al. Point-of-care ultrasound assessment of tropical infectious diseases-a review of applications and perspectives. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2016;94:8-21.
26. Goblirsch S, Bahlas S, Ahmed M, et al. Ultrasound findings in cases of extrapulmonary TB in patients with HIV infection in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2014;4:14-17.
27. Weber SF, Saravu K, Heller T, et al. Point-of-care ultrasound for extrapulmonary tuberculosis in India: a prospective cohort study in HIV-positive and HIV-negative presumptive tuberculosis patients. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2018;98:266-273.
28. Heller T, Goblirsch S, Bahlas S, et al. Diagnostic value of FASH ultrasound and chest x-ray in HIV-co-infected patients with abdominal tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2013;17:342-344.
29. Heller T, Wallrauch C, Brunetti E, et al. Changes of FASH ultrasound findings in TB-HIV patients during anti-tuberculosis treatment. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2014;18:837-839.
30. Van Hoving DJ, Lamprecht HH, Stander M, et al. Adequacy of the emergency point-of-care ultrasound core curriculum for the local burden of disease in South Africa. Emerg Med J 2013;30:312-315.
31. Heller T, Mtemang’ombe EA, Huson MA, et al. Ultrasound for patients in a high HIV/tuberculosis prevalence setting: a needs assessment and review of focused applications for sub-Saharan Africa. Int J Infect Dis 2017;56:229-236.
32. Heller T, Wallrauch C, Lessells RJ, et al. Short course for focused assessment with sonography for human immunodeficiency virus/tuberculosis: preliminary results in a rural setting in South Africa with high prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2010;82:512-515.
33. Janssen S, Grobusch MP, Heller T. “Remote FASH” tele-sonography--a novel tool to assist diagnosing HIV-associated extrapulmonary tuberculosis in remote areas. Acta Trop 2013;127:53-55.
34. Bélard S, Heuvelings CC, Banderker E, et al. Utility of point-of-care ultrasound in children with pulmonary tuberculosis. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2017. Dec 22.
35. Lawani OL, Anozie OB, Ezeonu PO. Ectopic pregnancy: a life-threatening gynecological emergency. Int J Womens Health 2013;5:515-521.
36. Farquhar CM. Ectopic pregnancy. Lancet 2005;366:583-591.
38. Becker DM, Tafoya CA, Becker SL, et al. The use of portable ultrasound devices in low and middle-income countries: a systematic review of the literature. Trop Med Int Health 2016;21:294-311.
39. Harris RD, Marks WM. Compact ultrasound for improving maternal and perinatal care in low resource settings review of the potential benefits, implementation challenges and public health issues. J Ultrasound Med 2009;28:1067-1076.
40. Shetty VH, Gowda S, Muralidhar L. Role of ultrasonography in diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy with clinical analysis and management in tertiary care hospital. J Obstet Gynaecol India 2014;64:354-357.
41. Whitworth M, Bricker L, Mullan C. Ultrasound for fetal assessment in early pregnancy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015;7:CD007058.
43. Downe S, Finlayson K, Tuncalp O, et al. What matters to women: a systematic scoping review to identify the processes and outcomes of antenatal care provision that are important to healthy pregnant women. BJOG 2016;123:529-539.
44. Amoah B, Anto EA, Osei PK, et al. Boosting antenatal care attendance and number of hospital deliveries among pregnant women in rural communities: a community initiative in Ghana based on mobile phones applications and portable ultrasound scans. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2016;16:141.
45. McClure EM, Nathan RO, Saleem S, et al. First look: a cluster-randomized trial of ultrasound to improve pregnancy outcomes in low income country settings. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2014;14:73.
46. Richter J, Hatz C, Häussinger D. Ultrasound in tropical and parasitic diseases. Lancet 2003;362:900-902.
47. Eckert J, Gemmell M, Meslin F-X, et al. WHO/OIE manual on echinococcosis in humans and animals: a public health problem of global concern. http://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/42427
. Published 2001. Accessed February 10, 2018.
48. WHO Informal Working Group. International classification of ultrasound images in cystic echinococcosis for application in clinical and field epidemiological settings. Acta Trop 2003;85:253-261.
49. Junghanss T, da Silva AM, Horton J, et al. Clinical management of cystic echinococcosis: state of the art, problems, and perspectives. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2008;79:301-311.
50. Brunetti E, Kern P, Vuitton DA. Expert consensus for the diagnosis and treatment of cystic and alveolar echinococcosis in humans. Acta Trop 2010;114:1-16.
51. Brunetti E, Heller T, Richter J, et al. Application of ultrasonography in the diagnosis of infectious diseases in resource-limited settings. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2016;18:6.
53. El Scheich T, Holtfreter MC, Ekamp H, et al. The WHO ultrasonography protocol for assessing hepatic morbidity due to Schistosoma mansoni. Acceptance and evolution over 12 years. Parasitol Res 2014;113:3915-3925.
54. Akpata R, Neumayr A, Holtfreter MC, et al. The WHO ultrasonography protocol for assessing morbidity due to Schistosoma haematobium. Acceptance and evolution over 14 years. Parasitol Res 2015;114:1279-1289.
55. Elzi L, Laifer G, Sendi P, et al. Low sensitivity of ultrasonography for the early diagnosis of amebic liver abscess. Am J Med 2004;117:519-522.
56. Adejolu M, Sidhu PS. The "filarial dance" is not characteristic of filariasis: observations of "dancing megasperm" on high-resolution sonography in patients from nonendemic areas mimicking the filarial dance and a proposed mechanism for this phenomenon. J Ultrasound Med 2011;30:1145-1150.
57. Dietrich CF, Kabaalioglu A, Brunetti E, et al. Fasciolosis. Z Gastroenterol 2015;53:285-290.
58. Richter J, Freise S, Mull R, et al. Fascioliasis: sonographic abnormalities of the biliary tract and evolution after treatment with triclabendazole. Trop Med Int Health 1999;4:774-781.
59. Zha Y, Zhou M, Hari A, et al. Ultrasound diagnosis of malaria: examination of the spleen, liver, and optic nerve sheath diameter. World J Emerg Med 2015;6:10-15.
60. Murphy S, Cserti-Gazdewich C, Dhabangi A, et al. Ultrasound findings in Plasmodium falciparum malaria: a pilot study. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2011;12:e58-e63.
61. Ferreyra NP, Cerri GG. Ascariasis of the alimentary tract, liver, pancreas and biliary system: its diagnosis by ultrasonography. Hepatogastroenterology 1998;45:932-937.
62. Mahmood T, Mansoor N, Quraishy S, Ilyas M, Hussain S. Ultrasonographic appearance of Ascaris lumbricoides in the small bowel. J Ultrasound Med 2001;20:269-274.
63. Mahmoud MZ. Assessment of visceral leishmaniasis consequences using ultrasound. Open J Radiol 2014;4:201-206.
64. Mand S, Marfo-Debrekyei Y, Debrah A, et al. Frequent detection of worm movements in onchocercal nodules by ultrasonography. Filaria J 2005;4:1.
65. Heller T, Wallrauch C, Kaminstein D, et al. Case report: cysticercosis: sonographic diagnosis of a treatable cause of epilepsy and skin nodules. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2017;97:1827.
67. Fagenholz PJ, Murray AF, Noble VE, et al. Ultrasound for high altitude research. Ultrasound Med Biol 2012;38:1-12.
68. Binkowski A, Riguzzi C, Price D, et al. Evaluation of a cornstarch-based ultrasound gel alternative for low-resource settings. J Emerg Med 2014;47:e5-e9.
69. Liteplo AS, Noble VE, Attwood BH. Real-time video streaming of sonographic clips using domestic internet networks and free videoconferencing software. J Ultrasound Med 2011;30:1459-1466.
70. Henwood PC, Mackenzie DC, Rempell JS, et al. A practical guide to self-sustaining point-of-care ultrasound education programs in resource-limited settings. Ann Emerg Med 2014;64:277-285.
71. Kimberly HH, Murray A, Mennicke M, et al. Focused maternal ultrasound by midwives in rural Zambia. Ultrasound Med Biol 2010;36:1267-1272.
72. Sippel S, Muruganandan K, Levine A, Shah S. Review article: use of ultrasound in the developing world. Int J Emerg Med 2011:4;72.
73. Adler D, Mgalula K, Price D, et al. Introduction of a portable ultrasound unit into the health services of the Lugufu refugee camp, Kigoma District, Tanzania. Int J Emerg Med 2008:1;261-266.
74. Shah SP, Epino H, Bukhman G, et al. Impact of the introduction of ultrasound services in a limited resource setting: rural Rwanda 2008. BMC Int Health Hum Rights 2009;9:4.
75. Kolbe N, Killu K, Coba V, et al. Point of care ultrasound (POCUS) telemedicine project in rural Nicaragua and its impact on patient management. J Ultrasound 2015;18:179-185.