1. Brazinova A, Rehorcikova V, Taylor MS, et al. Epidemiology of traumatic brain injury in Europe: a living systematic review. J Neurotrauma 2021;38: 1411–1440.
2. Collins M, Lovell MR, Iverson GL, et al. Examining concussion rates and return to play in high school football players wearing newer helmet technology: a three-year prospective cohort study. Neurosurgery 2006; 58:275–286.
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Nonfatal traumatic brain injuries related to sports and recreation activities among persons aged ≤19 years—United States, 2001–2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2011; 60:1337–1342.
4. Laker SR. Epidemiology of concussion and mild traumatic brain injury. Phys Med Rehabil 2011;3:S354–S358.
5. Langlois JA, Rutland-Brown W, Wald MM. The epidemiology and impact of traumatic brain injury: a brief overview. J Head Trauma Rehabil 2006;21:375–378.
6. McCrea M, Guskiewicz KM, Marshall SW, et al. Acute effects and recovery time following concussion in collegiate football players: the NCAA Concussion Study. JAMA 2003;290:2556–2563.
7. Voss JD, Connolly J, Schwab KA, et al. Update on the epidemiology of concussion/mild traumatic brain injury. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2015;19:1–8.
8. Willer B, Leddy JJ. Management of concussion and post-concussion syndrome. Curr Treat Options Neurol 2006;8:415–426.
9. Boulton AJ, Tyner CE, Choi SW, et al. Linking the GAD-7 and PHQ-9 to the TBI-QOL Anxiety and Depression Item Banks. J Head Trauma Rehabil 2019;34:353–363.
10. Fann JR, Bombardier CH, Dikmen S, et al. Validity of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 in assessing depression following traumatic brain injury. J Head Trauma Rehabil 2005;20:501–511.
11. Management of Concussion/mTBI Working Group. VA/DoD clinical practice guideline for management of concussion/mild traumatic brain injury. J Rehabil Res Dev 2009;46:1–60.
12. Hammer E, Hetzel S, Pfaller A, et al. Longitudinal assessment of depressive symptoms after sport-related concussion in a cohort of high school athletes. Sports Health 2021;13:31–36.
13. Harmon KG, Clugston JR, Dec K, et al. American Medical Society for Sports Medicine position statement on concussion in sport. Br J Sports Med 2019;53:213–225.
14. Iverson GL, Gardner AJ, Terry DP, et al. Predictors of clinical recovery from concussion: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med 2017;51:941–948.
15. Kumar S, Gupta R, Kumar A, et al. Prevalence of mood disorders in former NFL players. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2018;99:e87.
16. Putukian M, Kaitlin R, Stephanie A, et al. Correlates to concussion recovery in college athletes: prospective evaluation of pre-injury modifiers and postinjury clinical and neuropsychological assessments. Br J Sports Med 2017; 51:A28–A28.
17. Rice SM, Parker AG, Rosenbaum S, et al. Sport-related concussion and mental health outcomes in elite athletes: a systematic review. Sports Med 2018;48:447–465.
18. Roberts AL, Zafonte RD, Speizer FE, et al. Modifiable risk factors for poor cognitive function in former American-style football players: findings from the Harvard football players health study. J Neurotrauma 2021;38:189–195.
19. Sharma A, Sharma A, Jain A, et al. Study of generalized anxiety disorder in traumatic brain injury. J Adv Med Med Res 2015:1–8.
20. Kerr ZY, Evenson KR, Rosamond WD, et al. Association between concussion and mental health in former collegiate athletes. Injury Epidemiol 2014;1:1–10. .
21. Zemek R, Barrowman N, Freedman S, et al. Clinical risk score for persistent postconcussion symptoms among children with acute concussion in the ED. JAMA 2016;315:1014–1025.
22. Daneshvar DH, Riley DO, Nowinski CJ, et al. Long-term consequences: effects on normal development profile after concussion. Phys Med Rehabil Clin 2011;22:683–700.
23. Whittaker R, Kemp S, House A. Illness perceptions and outcome in mild head injury: a longitudinal study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2007;78: 644–646.
24. Wilmoth K, Curcio N, Tarkenton T, et al. Utility of brief psychological measures for prediction of prolonged symptom clearance in concussed student athletes. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 2021;36:430–436.
25. Cnossen MC, van der Naalt J, Spikman JM, et al. Prediction of persistent post-concussion symptoms after mild traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma 2018;35:2691–2698.
26. Cornett K. B-72 the relationship between anxiety and postconcussive symptomology in patients with mild traumatic brain injury. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 2019;34:1020–1020.
27. Covassin T, Elbin R, Harris W, et al. The role of age and sex in symptoms, neurocognitive performance, and postural stability in athletes after concussion. Am J Sports Med 2012;40:1303–1312.
28. Löwe B, Decker O, Müller S, et al. Validation and standardization of the Generalized Anxiety Disorder Screener (GAD-7) in the general population. Med Care 2008:266–274.
29. Merritt VC, Rabinowitz AR, Arnett PA. Injury-related predictors of symptom severity following sports-related concussion. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 2015; 37:265–275.
30. Wojcik SM. Predicting mild traumatic brain injury patients at risk of persistent symptoms in the emergency department. Brain Injury 2014;28: 422–430.
31. Zuckerman SL, Yengo-Kahn AM, Buckley TA, et al. Predictors of postconcussion syndrome in collegiate student-athletes. Neurosurg Focus 2016;40:E13.
32. Barker-Collo S, Theadom A, Jones K, et al. Depression and anxiety across the first 4 years after mild traumatic brain injury: findings from a communitybased study. Brain Injury 2018;32:1651–1658.
33. Bryant RA, O'donnell ML, Creamer M, et al. The psychiatric sequelae of traumatic injury. Am J Psychiatry 2010;167:312–320.
34. Lanois C, Wang F, Berkstresser B, et al. Acute post-concussion anxiety and depression scores are not associated with duration of concussion symptoms among collegiate athletes. Neurology 2019;93(14 suppl. 1):S12.
35. Reuben A, Sampson P, Harris AR, et al. Postconcussion syndrome (PCS) in the emergency department: predicting and pre-empting persistent symptoms following a mild traumatic brain injury. Emerg Med J 2014;31:72–77.
36. Tarkenton T, Wilmoth K, Didehbani N, et al. Persistent post-concussive symptoms in youth following motor vehicle accident versus sports injury. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 2017;32:667–765.
37. Collins MW, Kontos AP, Okonkwo DO, et al. Statements of agreement from the targeted evaluation and active management (TEAM) approaches to treating concussion meeting held in Pittsburgh, October 15–16, 2015. Neurosurgery 2016;79:912–929.