1. Sawaya R, Zuccarello M, El-Kalliny M. Brain tumors and thromboembolism: Clinical, hemostatic, and biochemical correlations. J Neurosurg 1989; 70: 314A(abstr 23).
2. Valladares JB, Hankinson J. Incidence of lower extremity deep vein thrombosis in neurosurgical patients. Neurosurgery 1980; 6: 138–141.
3. Turpie AG, Gallus A, Beattie WS, Hirsh J. Prevention of venous thrombosis in patients with intracranial disease by intermittent pneumatic compression of the calf. Neurology 1977; 27: 435–438.
4. Skillman JJ, Collins RE, Coe NP, et al. Prevention of deep vein thrombosis in neurosurgical patients: A controlled, randomized trial of external pneumatic compression boots. Surgery 1978; 83: 354–358.
5. Joffe SN. Incidence of postoperative deep vein thrombosis in neurosurgical patients. J Neurosurg 1975; 42: 201–203.
6. Chan AT, Atiemo A, Diran LK, et al. Venous thromboembolism occurs frequently in patients undergoing brain tumor surgery despite prophylaxis. J Thromb Thrombolysis 1999; 8: 139–142.
7. Inci S, Erbengi A, Berker M. Pulmonary embolism in neurosurgical patients. Surg Neurol 1995; 43: 123–129.
8. Constantini S, Kornowski R, Pomeranz S, Rappaport ZH. Thromboembolic phenomena in neurosurgical patients operated upon for primary and metastatic brain tumors. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1991; 109: 93–97.
9. Geerts WH, Heit JA, Clagett GP, et al. Prevention of venous thromboembolism. Chest 2001; 119 (1 Suppl): 132S–175S.
10. Kimmerly WS, Sellers KD, Deitcher SR. Graduate surgical trainee attitudes toward postoperative thromboprophylaxis. South Med J 1999; 92: 790–794.
11. Turpie AG, Hirsh J, Gent M, Julian D, Johnson J. Prevention of deep vein thrombosis in potential neurosurgical patients: A randomized trial comparing graduated compression stockings alone or graduated compression stockings plus intermittent pneumatic compression with control. Arch Intern Med 1989; 149: 679–681.
12. Black PM, Crowell RM, Abbott WM. External pneumatic calf compression reduces deep venous thrombosis in patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurgery 1986; 18: 25–28.
13. Agnelli G, Piovella F, Buoncristiani P, et al. Enoxaparin plus compression stockings compared with compression stockings alone in the prevention of venous thromboembolism after elective neurosurgery. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 80–85.
14. Boström S, Holmgren E, Jonsson O, et al. Post-operative thromboembolism in neurosurgery: A study on the prophylactic effect of calf muscle stimulation plus dextran compared to low-dose heparin. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1986; 80: 83–89.
15. Cerrato D, Ariano C, Fiacchino F. Deep vein thrombosis and low-dose heparin prophylaxis in neurosurgical patients. J Neurosurg 1978; 49: 378–381.
16. Frim DM, Barker FG II, Poletti CE, et al. Postoperative low-dose heparin decreases thromboembolic complications in neurosurgical patients. Neurosurgery 1992; 30: 830–833.
17. Dickinson LD, Miller LD, Patel CP, Gupta SK. Enoxaparin increases the incidence of postoperative intracranial hemorrhage when initiated preoperatively for deep venous thrombosis prophylaxis in patients with brain tumors. Neurosurgery 1998; 43: 1074–1081.
18. Macdonald RL, Amidei C, Baron J, et al. Randomized, blinded, prospective comparison of dalteparin and low dose subcutaneous heparin for prevention of venous thromboembolic complications in patients undergoing craniotomy. Presented at the Congress of Neurological Surgeons 50th Annual Meeting, September 2000, San Antonio, TX.
19. Iorio A, Agnelli G. Low-molecular-weight and unfractionated heparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism in neurosurgery: A meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med 2000; 160: 2327–2332.
20. Ruff RL, Posner JB. Incidence and treatment of peripheral venous thrombosis in patients with glioma. Ann Neurol 1983; 13: 334–336.
21. Olin JW, Young JR, Graor RA, et al. Treatment of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary emboli in patients with primary and metastatic brain tumors: Anticoagulants or inferior vena cava filter? Arch Intern Med 1987; 147: 2177–2179.
22. Altschuler E, Moosa H, Selker RG, Vertosick FT Jr. The risk and efficacy of anticoagulant therapy in the treatment of thromboembolic complications in patients with primary malignant brain tumors. Neurosurgery 1990; 27: 74–77.
23. Schiff D, DeAngelis LM. Therapy of venous thromboembolism in patients with brain metastases. Cancer 1994; 73: 493–498.
24. Levin JM, Schiff D, Loeffler JS, et al. Complications of therapy for venous thromboembolic disease in patients with brain tumors. Neurology 1993; 43: 1111–1114.
25. Decousus H, Leizorovicz A, Parent F, et al. A clinical trial of vena caval filters in the prevention of pulmonary embolism in patients with proximal deep-vein thrombosis: Prevention du Risque d'Embolie Pulmonaire par Interruption Cave Study Group. N Engl J Med 1998; 338: 409–415.