2. Hales CM, Fryar CD, Carroll MD, et al. Trends in obesity and severe obesity prevalence in US youth and adults by sex and age, 2007-2008 to 2015-2016. JAMA 2018;319:1723-1725.
5. Barlow SE, Expert Committee. Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report. Pediatrics 2007;120( suppl 4 ):S164-S192.
6. Daly CM, Foote SJ, Wadsworth DD. Physical activity, sedentary behavior, fruit and vegetable consumption and access: what influences obesity in rural children? J Community Health 2017;42:968-973.
7. Ogden CL, Fryar CD, Hales CM, et al. Differences in obesity prevalence by demographics and urbanization in US children and adolescents, 2013-2016. JAMA 2018;319:2410-2418.
8. Robson SM, Bolling C, McCullough MB, et al. A preschool obesity treatment clinical trial: reasons primary care providers declined referrals. J Pediatr 2016;177:262-266.e1.
9. Hawkins MD, Edwards S. Childhood overweight and obesity. Ky Nurse 2015;63:4-5.
12. Geserick M, Vogel M, Gausche R, et al. Acceleration of BMI in early childhood and risk of sustained obesity. N Engl J Med 2018;379:1303-1312.
13. Singh AS, Mulder C, Twisk JW, et al. Tracking of childhood overweight into adulthood: a systematic review of the literature. Obes Rev 2008;9:474-488.
14. Whitaker RC, Wright JA, Pepe MS, et al. Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. N Engl J Med 1997;337: 869-873.
15. Wang Y, Beydoun MA, Liang L, et al. Will all Americans become overweight or obese? Estimating the progression and cost of the US obesity epidemic. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2008;16:2323-2330.
16. Bass R, Eneli I. Severe childhood obesity: an under-recognised and growing health problem. Postgrad Med J 2015;91:639-645.
17. Pulgaron ER. Childhood obesity: a review of increased risk for physical and psychological comorbidities. Clin Ther 2013;35:A18-A32.
18. Hilbert A, Pike KM, Goldschmidt AB, et al. Risk factors across the eating disorders. Psychiatry Res 2014;220:500-506.
19. Small L, Aplasca A. Child obesity and mental health: a complex interaction. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2016;25:269-282.
20. Reilly JJ, Kelly J. Long-term impact of overweight and obesity in childhood and adolescence on morbidity and premature mortality in adulthood: systematic review. Int J Obes (Lond) 2011;35:891-898.
21. Viner RM, Cole TJ. Adult socioeconomic, educational, social, and psychological outcomes of childhood obesity: a national birth cohort study. BMJ 2005;330:1354.
22. Barlow SE, Dietz WH. Obesity evaluation and treatment: expert committee recommendations. The Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration and the Department of Health and Human Services. Pediatrics 1998;102:E29.
23. Rausch JC, Perito ER, Hametz P. Obesity prevention, screening, and treatment: practices of pediatric providers since the 2007 expert committee recommendations. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2011;50:434-441.
24. Spear BA, Barlow SE, Ervin C, et al. Recommendations for treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity. Pediatrics 2007;120( suppl 4 ): S254-S288.
25. Stark LJ, Spear Filigno S, Bolling C, et al. Clinic and home-based behavioral intervention for obesity in preschoolers: a randomized trial. J Pediatr 2018;192:115-121.e1.
26. Holt N, Schetzina KE, Dalton WT, 3rd et al. Primary care practice addressing child overweight and obesity: a survey of primary care physicians at four clinics in southern Appalachia. South Med J 2011;104:14-19.
27. Bean MK, Powell P, Quinoy A, et al. Motivational interviewing targeting diet and physical activity improves adherence to paediatric obesity treatment: results from the MI Values randomized controlled trial. Pediatr Obes 2015;10:118-125.
28. Gourlan M, Sarrazin P, Trouilloud D. Motivational interviewing as a way to promote physical activity in obese adolescents: a randomised-controlled trial using self-determination theory as an explanatory framework. Psychol Health 2013;28:1265-1286.
29. Pollak KI, Nagy P, Bigger J, et al. Effect of teaching motivational interviewing via communication coaching on clinician and patient satisfaction in primary care and pediatric obesity-focused offices. Patient Educ Couns 2016;99:300-303.
30. Epstein LH, Myers MD, Raynor HA, et al. Treatment of pediatric obesity. Pediatrics 1998;101( 3 Pt 2 ):554-570.
31. Jelalian E, Saelens BE. Empirically supported treatments in pediatric psychology: pediatric obesity. J Pediatr Psychol 1999;24:223-248.
32. Kirk S, Scott BJ, Daniels SR. Pediatric obesity epidemic: treatment options. J Am Diet Assoc 2005;105( 5 suppl 1 ):S44-S51.
33. Resnicow K, Davis R, Rollnick S. Motivational interviewing for pediatric obesity: conceptual issues and evidence review. J Am Diet Assoc 2006;106: 2024-2033.