1. Levy RL, Whitehead WE, VonKorff MR. Intergenerational transmission of gastrointestinal illness behavior. Am J Gastroenterol 2000;95:451–456.
2. Drossman DA, Li Z, Andruzzi E, et al. U.S. householder survey of functional gastrointestinal disorders. Prevalence, sociodemography, and health impact. Dig Dis Sci 1993;38:1569–1580.
3. Thompson WG, Longstreth GF, Drossman DA, et al. C. Functional bowel disorders and D. functional abdominal pain, in Drossman DA, Talley NJ, Thompson WG, et al (eds): Rome II: Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders: Diagnosis, Pathophysiology, and Treatment. McLean, Degnon Associates, 2000, ed 2, pp 351.
4. Sandler RS, Drossman DA, Nathan HP, et al. Symptom complaints and health care seeking behavior in subjects with bowel dysfunction. Gastroenterology 1984;87:314–318.
5. Levy RL, Von Korff M, Whitehead WE, et al. Costs of care for irritable bowel syndrome patients in a health maintenance organization. Am J Gastroenterol 2001;96:3122–3129.
6. Whorwell PJ, McCallum M, Creed FH, et al. Non-colonic features of irritable bowel syndrome. Gut 1986;27:37–40.
7. Wojczynski MK, North KE, Pederson NL. Irritable bowel syndrome: a co-twin control analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2007;102:2220–2229.
8. Walker EA, Katon WJ, Roy-Byrne, et al. Histories of sexual victimization in patients with irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Psychiatry 1993;150:1502–1506.
9. Jones KR, Palsson OS, Levy RL, et al. Comorbid disorders and symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) compared to other gastroenterology patients. Gastroenterology 2001;120(suppl 1):A66.
10. Maxton DG, Morris J, Whorwell PJ. More accurate diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome by the use of ‘non-colonic’ symptomatology. Gut 1991;32:784–786.
11. Gwee KA, Leong YL, Graham C, et al. The role of psychological and biological factors in postinfective gut dysfunction. Gut 1999;44:400–406.
12. Neal KR, Hebden J, Spiller R. Prevalence of gastrointestinal symptoms six months after bacterial gastroenteritis and risk factors for development of the irritable bowel syndrome: postal survey of patients. BMJ 1997;314:779–782
13. Drossman DA, Whitehead WE, Toner BB, et al. What determines severity among patients with painful functional bowel disorders? Am J Gastroenterol 2000;95:974–980.
14. Leroi AM, Bernier C, Watier A, et al. Prevalence of sexual abuse among patients with functional disorders of the lower gastrointestinal tract. Int J Colorectal Dis 1995;10:200–206.
15. Drossman DA, Lesserman J, Nachman G, et al. Sexual and physical abuse in women with functional or organic gastrointestinal disorders. Ann Intern Med 1990;113:828–833.
16. Tang LY, Nabalamba A, Graff LA, et al. A comparison of self-perceived health status in inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome patients from a Canadian national population survey. Can J Gastroenterol 2008;22:475–483.
17. Addolorato G, Mirrjello A, D'Angelo C, et al. State and trait anxiety and depression in patients affected by gastrointestinal diseases: psychometric evaluation of 1641 patients referred to an internal medicine outpatient setting. Int J Clin Pract 2008;62:1063–1069.
18. Sugaya N, Nomura S. Relationship between cognitive appraisals of symptoms and negative mood for subtypes of irritable bowel syndrome. Biopsychosoc Med 2008;2:9.
19. Pinto C, Lele MV, Joglekar AS, et al. Stressful life-events, anxiety, depression and coping in patients of irritable bowel syndrome. J Assoc Physicians India 2000;48:589–593.
20. Solmaz M, Kavuk I, Sayar K. Psychological factors in the irritable bowel syndrome. Eur J Med Res 2003;8:549–556.
21. Handa M, Nukina H, Hosoi M, et al. Childhood physical abuse in outpatients with psychosomatic symptoms. Biopsychosoc Med 2008;2:8.
22. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. National Incidence and Severity of Child Abuse and Neglect. Washington, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1986.
23. Talley NJ, Fett SL, Zinsmeister AR, et al. Gastrointestinal tract symptoms and self-reported abuse: a population-based study. Gastroenterology 1994;107:1040–1049.
24. Drossman DA, Talley NJ, Leserman J, et al. Sexual and physical abuse and gastrointestinal illness. Review and recommendations. Ann Intern Med 1995;123:782–794.
25. Salmon P, Skaife K, Rhodes J. Abuse, dissociation, and somatization in irritable bowel syndrome: towards and explanatory model. J Behav Med 2003;26:1–18.
26. Talley NJ, Fett SL, Zinsmeister AR. Self-reported abuse and gastrointestinal disease in outpatients: association with irritable bowel-type symptoms. Am J Gastroenterol 1995;90:366–371.
27. Whitehead WE, Bosmajian L, Zonderman AB, et al. Symptoms of psychologic distress associated with irritable bowel syndrome. Comparison of community and medical clinic samples. Gastroenterology 1988;95:709–714.
28. Spiegel B, Schoenfeld P, Naliboff B. Systematic review: the prevalence of suicidal behaviour in patients with chronic abdominal pain and irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007;26:183–193.
29. Engel GL. The need for a new medical model: a challenge for biomedicine. Science 1977;196:129–136.
30. Foxx-Orenstein A. IBS—review and what' new. MedGenMed 2006;8:20.
31. Talley NJ, Spiller R. Irritable bowel syndrome: a little understood organic bowel disease? Lancet 2002;360:555–564.
32. Koloski NA, Talley NJ, Boyce PM. A history of abuse in community subjects with irritable bowel syndrome and functional dyspepsia: the role of other psychosocial variables. Digestion 2005;72:86–96.
33. Mikocka-Walus A, Turnbull D, Moulding N, et al. Psychological comorbidity and complexity of gastrointestinal symptoms in clinically diagnosed irritable bowel syndrome patients. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;23(7 Pt 1):1137–1143.
34. Vandvik PO, Lydersen S, Farup PG. Prevalence, comorbidity and impact of irritable bowel syndrome in Norway. Scand J Gastroenterol 2006;41:650–656.
35. Hillilä MT, Siivola MT, Färkkilä MA. Comorbidity and use of health-care services among irritable bowel syndrome sufferers. Scand J Gastroenterol 2007;42:799–806.
36. Whitehead WE, Palsson OS, Levy RR, et al. Comorbidity in irritable bowel syndrome. Am J Gastroenterol 2007;102:2767–2776.
37. Jones R, Latinovic R, Charlton J, et al. Physical and psychological co-morbidity in irritable bowel syndrome: a matched cohort study using the General Practice Research Database. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006;24:879–886.
38. Wigington WC, Johnson WD, Minocha A. Epidemiology of irritable bowel syndrome among African Americans as compared with whites: a population-based study. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol2005;3:647–653.
39. Sperber AD, Shvartzman P, Friger M, et al. A comparative reappraisal of the Rome II and Rome III diagnostic criteria: are we getting closer to the ‘true’ prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome? Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007;19:441–447.
40. Wang AJ, Liao XH, Hu PJ, et al. A comparison between Rome III and Rome II criteria in diagnosing irritable bowel syndrome [in Chinese]. Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 2007;46:644–647.