1. Yao DC, Wright SM. National survey of internal medicine residency program directors regarding problem residents. JAMA 2000;284:1099–1104.
2. Hawkins RE, Lipner RS, Ham HP, et al. American Board of Medical Specialties Maintenance of Certification: theory and evidence regarding the current framework. J Contin Educ Health Prof 2013;33(suppl 1):S7–S19.
3. Kassirer JP. Does instant access to compiled information undermine clinical cognition? Lancet 2010;376:1510–1511.
4. Ericsson KA. Acquisition and maintenance of medical expertise: a perspective from the expert-performance approach with deliberate practice. Acad Med 2015;90:1471–1486.
5. Duran-Nelson A, Gladding S, Beattie J, et al. Should we Google it? Resource use by internal medicine residents for point-of-care clinical decision making. Acad Med 2013;88:788–794.
6. Bullock A, Dimond R, Webb K, et al. How a mobile app supports the learning and practice of newly qualified doctors in the UK: an intervention study. BMC Med Educ 2015;15:71.
7. Hardyman W, Bullock A, Brown A, et al. Mobile technology supporting trainee doctors' workplace learning and patient care: an evaluation. BMC Med Educ 2013;13:6.
8. Asch DA, Nicholson S, Srinivas S, et al. Evaluating obstetrical residency programs using patient outcomes. JAMA 2009;302:1277–1283.
9. Knowles MS. Self-Directed Learning: A Guide for Learners and Teachers. New York: Association Press; 1975.
10. Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Common program requirements. www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/CPRs_2017-07-01.pdf
. Published 2017. Accessed January 21, 2019.
11. Nothnagle M, Anandarajah G, Goldman RE, et al. Struggling to be self-directed: residents' paradoxical beliefs about learning. Acad Med 2011;86:1539–1544.
12. Sawatsky AP, Ratelle JT, Bonnes SL, et al. A model of self-directed learning in internal medicine residency: a qualitative study using grounded theory. BMC Med Educ 2017;17:31.
13. Smith SJ, Kakarala RR, Talluri SK, et al. Internal medicine residents' acceptance of self-directed learning plans at the point of care. J Grad Med Educ 2011;3:425–428.
14. Li S-T, Tancredi DJ, Co JPT, et al. Factors associated with successful self-directed learning using individualized learning plans during pediatric residency. Acad Pediatr 2010;10:124–130.
15. Li S-T, Favreau MA, West DC. Pediatric resident and faculty attitudes toward self-assessment and self-directed learning: a cross-sectional study. BMC Med Educ 2009;9:16.
16. Edson RS, Beckman TJ, West CP, et al. A multi-institutional survey of internal medicine residents' learning habits. Med Teach 2010;32:773–775.
17. Lai CJ, Aagaard E, Brandenburg S, et al. Brief report: multiprogram evaluation of reading habits of primary care internal medicine residents on ambulatory rotations. J Gen Intern Med 2006;21:486–489.
18. Oxentenko AS, Manohar CU, McCoy CP, et al. Internal medicine residents' computer use in the inpatient setting. J Grad Med Educ 2012;4:529–532.
19. Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. The ACGME 2011 Duty Hour Standard. Enhancing quality of care, supervisor and resident professional development. https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PDFs/jgmemonograph.pdf
. Published 2011. Accessed January 31, 2019.
20. Sy A, Wong E, Boisvert L. Learning behaviour and preferences of family medicine residents under a flexible academic curriculum. Can Fam Physician 2014;60:e554–e561.
21. Lott JP, Roy B, Venkatesh AK. Temporal trends in accessing online medical information. J Hosp Med 2014;9:525–526.
22. Aakre CA, Pencille LJ, Sorensen KJ, et al. Electronic knowledge resources and point-of-care learning: a scoping review. Acad Med 2018;93 (11S Association of American Medical Colleges Learn Serve Lead: Proceedings of the 57th Annual Research in Medical Education Sessions):S60–S67.
23. Amber KT, Dhiman G, Goodman KW. Conflict of interest in online point-of-care clinical support websites. J Med Ethics 2014;40:578–580.
24. McDonald FS, Zeger SL, Kolars JC. Factors associated with medical knowledge acquisition during internal medicine residency. J Gen Intern Med 2007;22:962–968.
25. Isaac T, Zheng J, Jha A. Use of UpToDate and outcomes in US hospitals. J Hosp Med 2012;7:85–90.
26. Seelig CB. Changes over time in the knowledge acquisition practices of internists. South Med J 1993;86:780–783.
27. Pastötter B, Bauml K-HT. Retrieval practice enhances new learning: the forward effect of testing. Front Psychol 2014;5:286.
28. van Houten-Schat MA, Berkhout JJ, van Dijk N, et al. Self-regulated learning in the clinical context: a systematic review. Med Educ 2018;52:1008–1015.
29. Saks K, Leijen A. Distinguishing self-directed and self-regulated learning and measuring them in the e-learning context. Procedia Soc Behav Sci 2014;112:190–198.
30. Fletcher KE, Visotcky AM, Slagle JM, et al. The composition of intern work while on call. J Gen Intern Med 2012;27:1432–1437.
31. Sullivan GM. A mile wide but 1 cell thick: the need to prioritize learning in graduate medical education. J Grad Med Educ 2016;8:488–491.