1. Donald I, Macvicar J, Brown TG. Investigation of abdominal masses by pulsed ultrasound. Lancet 1958;1:1188-1195.
2. Smith-Bindman R, Miglioretti DL, Larson EB. Rising use of diagnostic medical imaging in a large integrated health system. Health Aff (Millwood) 2008;27:1491-1502.
5. Nations JA, Browning RF. Battlefield applications for handheld ultrasound. Ultrasound Q 2011;27:171-176.
6. Nelson BP, Melnick ER, Li J. Portable ultrasound for remote environments, part II: current indications. J Emerg Med 2011;40:313-321.
7. Mateer J, Plummer D, Heller M, et al. Model curriculum for physician training in emergency ultrasonography. Ann Emerg Med 1994;23:95-102.
8. Kendall JL, Hoffenberg SR, Smith RS. History of emergency and critical care ultrasound: the evolution of a new imaging paradigm. Crit Care Med 2007;35(Suppl 5):S126-S130.
9. American College of Emergency Physicians. Emergency ultrasound guidelines. Ann Emerg Med 2009;53:550-570.
10. Akhtar S, Theodoro D, Gaspari R, et al. Resident training in emergency ultrasound: consensus recommendations from the 2008 Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors Conference. Acad Emerg Med 2009;16(Suppl 2):S32-S36.
11. Bahner DP, Goldman E, Way D, et al. The state of ultrasound education in U.S. medical schools: results of a national survey. Acad Med 2014;89:1681-1686.
12. Steinmetz P, Dobrescu O, Oleskevich S, et al. Bedside ultrasound education in Canadian medical schools: a national survey. Can Med Educ J 2016;7:e78-e86.
13. Hoppmann RA, Rao VV, Bell F, et al. The evolution of an integrated ultrasound curriculum (iUSC) for medical students: 9-year experience. Crit Ultrasound J 2015;7:18.
14. Wilson SP, Mefford JM, Lahham S, et al. Implementation of a 4-year point-of-care ultrasound curriculum in a liaison committee on medical education-accredited US medical school. J Ultrasound Med 2017;36:321-325.
15. Denny SP, Minteer WB, Fenning RTH, et al. Ultrasound curriculum taught by first-year medical students: a four-year experience in Tanzania. World J Emerg Med 2018;9:33-40.
16. Bahner DP, Adkins EJ, Hughes D, et al. Integrated medical school ultrasound: development of an ultrasound vertical curriculum. Crit Ultrasound J 2013;5:6.
17. Dinh VA, Lakoff D, Hess J, et al. Medical student core clinical ultrasound milestones: a consensus among directors in the United States. J Ultrasound Med 2016;35:421-434.
19. Ma IWY, Arishenkoff S, Wiseman J, et al. Internal medicine point-of-care ultrasound curriculum: consensus recommendations from the Canadian Internal Medicine Ultrasound (CIMUS) Group. J Gen Intern Med 2017;32:1052-1057.
20. Bhagra A, Tierney DM, Sekiguchi H, et al. Point-of-care ultrasonography for primary care physicians and general internists. Mayo Clin Proc 2016;91:1811-1827.
21. Ailon J, Mourad O, Nadjafi M, et al. Point-of-care ultrasound as a competency for general internists: a survey of internal medicine training programs in Canada. Can Med Educ J 2016;7:e51-e69.
22. Hall JW, Holman H, Bornemann P, et al. Point of care ultrasound in family medicine residency programs: a CERA study. Fam Med 2015;47:706-711.
24. McLario DJ, Sivitz AB. Point-of-care ultrasound in pediatric clinical care. JAMA Pediatr 2015;169:594-600.
25. Brass P, Hellmich M, Kolodziej L, et al. Ultrasound guidance versus anatomical landmarks for internal jugular vein catheterization. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015;1:CD006962.
26. Alpert JS, Mladenovic J, Hellmann DB. Should a hand-carried ultrasound machine become standard equipment for every internist? Am J Med 2009;122:1-3.
27. Moore CL, Copel JA. Point-of-care ultrasonography. N Engl J Med 2011;364:749-757.
28. Kobal SL, Trento L, Baharami S, et al. Comparison of effectiveness of hand-carried ultrasound to bedside cardiovascular physical examination. Am J Cardiol 2005;96:1002-1006.
29. Mehta M, Jacobson T, Peters D, et al. Handheld ultrasound versus physical examination in patients referred for transthoracic echocardiography for a suspected cardiac condition. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2014;7:983-990.
30. Razi R, Estrada JR, Doll J, et al. Bedside hand-carried ultrasound by internal medicine residents versus traditional clinical assessment for the identification of systolic dysfunction in patients admitted with decompensated heart failure. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2011;24:1319-1324.
31. Kimura BJ. Point-of-care cardiac ultrasound techniques in the physical examination: better at the bedside. Heart 2017;103:987-994.
32. Kimura BJ, Yogo N, O'Connell CW, et al. Cardiopulmonary limited ultrasound examination for “quick-look” bedside application. Am J Cardiol 2011;108:586-590.
33. Kimura BJ, Sliman SM, Waalen J, et al. Retention of ultrasound skills and training in “point-of-care” cardiac ultrasound. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2016;29:992-997.
34. Frankel HL, Kirkpatrick AW, Elbarbary M, et al. Guidelines for the appropriate use of bedside general and cardiac ultrasonography in the evaluation of critically ill patients-part I: general ultrasonography. Crit Care Med 2015;43:2479-2502.
35. Levitov A, Frankel HL, Blaivas M, et al. Guidelines for the appropriate use of bedside general and cardiac ultrasonography in the evaluation of critically ill patients-part II: cardiac ultrasonography. Crit Care Med 2016;44:1206-1227.
36. Feilchenfeld Z, Dornan T, Whitehead C, et al. Ultrasound in undergraduate medical education: a systematic and critical review. Med Educ 2017;51:366-378.
37. Howard ZD, Noble VE, Marill KA, et al. Bedside ultrasound maximizes patient satisfaction. J Emerg Med 2014;46:46-53.
38. Choi YJ, Jung JY, Kwon H. Effectiveness of education in point-of-care ultrasound-assisted physical examinations in an emergency department. Medicine (Baltimore) 2017;96:e7269.
39. Xia Y, Ying Y, Wang S, et al. Effectiveness of lung ultrasonography for diagnosis of pneumonia in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Thorac Dis 2016;8:2822-2831.
40. Ablordeppey EA, Drewry AM, Beyer AB, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of central venous catheter confirmation by bedside ultrasound versus chest radiography in critically ill patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care Med 2017;45:715-724.
41. Carroll PJ, Gibson D, El-Faedy O, et al. Surgeon-performed ultrasound at the bedside for the detection of appendicitis and gallstones: systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Surg 2013;205:102-108.