1. Nolan DJ, Trail ZC. The current role of the barium examination of the small intestine. Clin Radiol 1997;52:809–820.
2. Iddan G, Meron G, Glukhovsky A, et al. Wireless capsule endoscopy. Nature 2000;405:417.
3. Swain CP, Goong F, Mills TN. Wireless transmission of a color television moving image from the stomach using a miniature CCD camera, light source, and microwave transmitter. Gut 1996;39:A26.
4. Meron GD. The development of the swallowable video-capsule (M2A). Gastrointest Endosc 2000;52:817–819.
5. Appleyard M, Glukhovsky A, Swain P. Wireless-capsule diagnostic endoscopy for recurrent small-bowel bleeding. New Engl J Med 2001;344:232–233.
6. Kornbluth A, Legnani P, Lewis BS. Video capsule endoscopy in inflammatory bowel disease: past, present, and future. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2004;10:278–285.
7. Ginsberg GG, Barkun AN, Bosco JJ, et al. Technology status evaluation report: wireless capsule endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2002;56:621–624.
8. Swain P. Wireless capsule endoscopy. Gut 2003;52(Suppl IV):iv48–iv50.
9. Pennazio M, Santucci R, Rondonotti E, et al. Outcome of patients with obscure gastrointestinal bleeding after capsule endoscopy: report of 100 consecutive cases. Gastroenterology 2004;126:643–653.
10. Lewis BS. Small intestinal bleeding. Gastroenterology Clin North Am 1994;23:67–91.
11. Zuckerman GR, Prakash C, Askin MP, et al. AGA technical review on the evaluation and management of occult and obscure gastrointestinal bleeding. Gastroenterology 2000;118:201–221.
12. Maglinte DD, Kelvin FM, O’Connor K, et al. Current status of small bowel radiography. Abdom Imaging 1996;21:247–257.
13. Eliakim R. Wireless capsule video endoscopy: three years of experience. World J Gastroenterol 2004;10:1238–1239.
14. Magnano A, Privitera A, Calogero G, et al. The role of capsule endoscopy in the workup of obscure gastrointestinal bleeding. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004;16:403–406.
15. Fireman Z, Eliakim R, Adler S, et al. Capsule endoscopy in real life: a four centre experience of 160 consecutive patients in Israel. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004;16:927–931.
16. Ell C, Remke S, May A, et al. The first prospective controlled trial comparing wireless capsule endoscopy with push enteroscopy in chronic gastrointestinal bleeding. Endoscopy 2002;34:685–689.
17. Mylonaki M, Fritscher-Ravens A, Swain P. Wireless capsule endoscopy: a comparison with push enteroscopy in patients with gastroscopy and colonoscopy negative gastrointestinal bleeding. Gut 2003;52:1122–1126.
18. Mata A, Bordas JM, Feu F, et al. Wireless capsule endoscopy in patients with obscure gastrointestinal bleeding: a comparative study with push enteroscopy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004;20:189–194.
19. Scapa E, Jacob H, Lewkowicz S, et al. Initial experience of wireless-capsule endoscopy for evaluating occult gastrointestinal bleeding and suspected small bowel pathology. Am J Gastroenterol 2002;97:2776–2779.
20. Swain P, Fritscher-Ravens A. Role of video endoscopy in managing small bowel disease. Gut 2004;53:1866–1875.
21. Appleyard M, Fireman Z, Glukhovsky A, et al. A randomized trial comparing wireless capsule endoscopy with push enteroscopy for the detection of small bowel lesions. Gastroenterology 2000;119: 1431–1438.
22. Saurin JC, Delvaux M, Gaudin JL, et al. Diagnostic value of endoscopic capsule in patients with obscure digestive bleeding: blinded comparison with video push enteroscopy. Endoscopy 2003;35:576–584.
23. Brown R. Capsule endoscopy has higher diagnostic yield than push enteroscopy in patients with chronic GI bleeding. Evidence-Based Gastroenterology 2003;4:52–53.
24. Tang SJ, Christodiolou D, Zanati S, et al. Wireless capsule endoscopy for obscure gastrointestinal bleeding: a single-centre, one-year experience. Can J Gastroenterol 2004;18:559–565.
25. Chong A, Taylor A, Miller A, et al. Clinical outcomes of patients following investigation of obscure gastrointestinal bleeding using capsule endoscopy. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2003;18(Suppl):B51.
26. Voderholzer WA, Ortner M, Rogalla P, et al. Diagnostic yield of wireless capsule enteroscopy in comparison with computed tomography enteroclysis. Endoscopy 2003;35:1009–1014.
27. Buchman AL, Wallin A. Videocapsule endoscopy renders obscure gastrointestinal bleeding no longer obscure. J Clin Gastroenterol 2003;37:303–306.
28. Marmo R, Rotondano G, Piscopo R, et al. Capsule endoscopy versus enteroclysis in the detection of small bowel involvement in Crohn’s disease: a prospective trial. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005;3:772–776.
29. De Franchis R, Rondonotti E, Abbiati C, et al. Use of the GIVEN video capsule system in small bowel transplanted patients. [Abstract]. Gastrointest Endosc 2002;55:AB129.
30. Triester SL, Leighton JA, Leontiadis GI, et al. A meta-analysis of the yield of capsule endoscopy compared to other diagnostic modalities in patients with obscure gastrointestinal bleeding. Am J Gastroenterol 2005;100:2407–2418.
31. Fireman Z, Mahanja E, Broide E, et al. Diagnosing small bowel Crohn’s disease with wireless capsule endoscopy. Gut 2003;52:390–392.
32. Eliakim R, Fischer D, Suissa A, et al. Wireless capsule endoscopy is a superior diagnostic tool in comparison to barium follow through and computerized tomography in patients with suspected Crohn’s disease. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2003;15:363–367.
33. Triester SL, Leighton JA, Leontiadis GI, et al. A meta-analysis of the yield of capsule endoscopy compared to other diagnostic modalities in patients with non-stricturing small bowel Crohn’s disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2006;101:954–964.
34. Bardan E, Nadler M, Chowers Y, et al. Capsule endoscopy for the evaluation of patients with chronic abdominal pain. Endoscopy 2003;35:688–689.
35. Fritscher-Ravens A, Mills T, Mosse CA, et al. A study of devices for insertion and retrieval of wireless capsule endoscopes. (Abstract) Gastrointest Endosc 2003;57:AB163.
36. Costamagna G, Shah S, Riccioni M, et al. A prospective trial comparing small bowel radiographs and video capsule endoscopy for suspected small bowel disease. Gastroenterology 2002;123:999–1005.
37. Herrerias JM, Caunedo A, Rodriguez-Tellez M, et al. Capsule endoscopy in patients with suspected Crohn’s disease and negative endoscopy. Endoscopy 2003;35:564–568.
38. Eliakim R, Suissa A, Yassin K, et al. Wireless capsule video endoscopy compared to barium follow-through and computerised tomography in patients with suspected Crohn’s disease: final report. Dig Liver Dis 2004;36:519–522.
39. Bernstein CN, Boult IF, Greenberg HM, et al. A prospective randomized comparison between small bowel enteroclysis and small bowel follow through in Crohn’s disease. Gastroenterology 1997;113:390–398.
40. Lewis BS. Enteroscopy. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 2000;10:10–116.
41. Hartmann D, Schilling D, Bolz G, et al. Capsule endoscopy, technical impact, benefits and limitations. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2004;389:225–233.
42. Cheifetz A, Sachar DB, Lewis BS. Small bowel obstruction: indication or contraindication for capsule endoscopy (abstract). Gastrointest Endsoc 2004;59:AB102.
43. Signorelli C, Rondonotti E, Villa F, et al. Use of the given patency system for the screening of patients at high risk for capsule retention. Dig Liver Dis 2006;38:326–330.
44. Boivin ML, Lochs H, Voderholzer WA. Does passage of a patency capsule indicate small-bowel patency? A prospective clinical trial? Endoscopy 2005;37:808–815.
45. Spada C, Spera G, Riccioni M, et al. A novel diagnostic tool for detecting functional patency of the small bowel: the Given patency capsule. Endoscopy 2005;37:793–800.
46. Delvaux M, Ben Soussan E, Laurent V, et al. Clinical evaluation of the use of the M2A patency capsule system before a capsule endoscopy procedure, in patients with known or suspected intestinal stenosis. Endoscopy 2005;37:801–807.
47. Mow WS, Lo SK, Targan SR, et al. Initial experience with wireless capsule enteroscopy in the diagnosis and management of inflammatory bowel disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004;2:31–40.
48. Chong A, Taylor A, Miller A, et al. Comparison of CE with PE and small bowel barium studies in the detection of Crohn’s disease of the small bowel. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2003;18(Supp):B51.