1. Jordan BD. The clinical spectrum of sport-related traumatic brain injury. Nat Rev Neurol 2013;9:222-230.
2. Park A. The role of boxing in the death of Muhammad Ali remains unclear. Time 2016;187:12.
3. Mez J, Daneshvar DH, Kiernan PT, et al. Clinicopathological evaluation of chronic traumatic encephalopathy in players of American football. JAMA 2017;318:360-370.
4. Chin LS, Toshkezi G, Cantu RC. Traumatic encephalopathy related to sports injury. US Neurol 2011;7:33-36.
5. Galgano MA, Cantu R, Chin LS. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy: the impact on athletes. Cureus 2016;8:e532.
6. King D, Brughelli M, Hume P, et al. Assessment, management and knowledge of sport-related concussion: systematic review. Sports Med 2014;44:449-471.
7. Feden JP. Current concepts in sports-related concussion. RI Med J 2016;99:23-26.
8. Schallmo MS, Weiner JA, Hsu WK. Sport and sex-specific reporting trends in the epidemiology of concussions sustained by high school athletes. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2017;99:1314-1320.
9. Sarmiento K, Mitchko J, Klein C, et al. Evaluation of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s concussion initiative for high school coaches: “Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports.” J Sch Health 2010;80: 112-118.
10. Guay JL, Lebretore BM, Main JM, et al. The era of sport concussion: evolution of knowledge, practice, and the role of psychology. Am Psychol 2016;71:875-887.
11. Papa L, Ramia MM, Edwards D, et al. Systematic review of clinical studies examining biomarkers of brain injury in athletes after sports-related concussion. J Neurotrauma 2015;32:661-673.
12. Reams N, Eckner JT, Almeida AA, et al. A clinical approach to the diagnosis of traumatic encephalopathy syndrome: a review. JAMA Neurol 2016;73:743-749.
13. Gardner A, Iverson GL, McCrory P. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in sport: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med 2014;48:84-90.
14. McKee AC, Cantu RC, Nowinski CJ, et al. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in athletes: progressive tauopathy after repetitive head injury. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 2009;68:709-735.
15. Schmidt JD, Pierce AF, Guskiewicz KM, et al. Safe-play knowledge, aggression, and head-impact biomechanics in adolescent ice hockey players. J Athl Train 2016;51:366-372.
16. Hobbs JG, Young JS, Bailes JE. Sports-related concussions: diagnosis, complications, and current management strategies. Neurosurg Focus 2016;40:E5.
17. Cantu RC. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in the National Football League. Neurosurgery 2007;61:223-225.
18. Willis MD, Robertson NP. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy: identifying those at risk and understanding pathogenesis. J Neurol 2017;264:1298-1300.
19. Omalu B, Small GW, Bailes J, et al. Postmortem autopsy-confirmation of antemortem [F-18]FDDNP-PET scans in a football player with chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Neurosurgery 2017;82:237-246.
20. Emery CA, Black AM, Kolstad A, et al. What strategies can be used to effectively reduce the risk of concussion in sport? A systematic review. Br J Sports Med 2017;51:978-984.
21. Myer GD, Yuan W, Foss KD, et al. Analysis of head impact exposure and brain microstructure response in a season-long application of a jugular vein compression collar: a prospective, neuroimaging investigation in American football. Br J Sports Med 2016;50:1276-1285.
22. Hagel B, Meeuwisse W. Risk compensation: a “ effect” of sport injury prevention? Clin J Sports Med 2004;14:193-196.
24. Guskiewicz KM, Weaver NL, Padua DA, et al. Epidemiology of concussion in collegiate and high school football players. Am J Sports Med 2000;28:643-650.
25. Petraglia AL, Maroon JC, Bailes JE. From the field of play to the field of combat: a review of the pharmacological management of concussion. Neurosurgery 2012;70:1520-1533.
26. Sweeney TE, Salles A, Harris OA, et al. Prediction of neurosurgical intervention after mild traumatic brain injury using the national trauma data bank. World J Emerg Surg 2015;10:23.