1. Strauss RS, Pollack HA. Epidemic increase in childhood overweight, 1986–1998. JAMA 2001;286:2845–2848.
2. Deurenberg P, Weststrate JA, Seidell JC. Body mass index as a measure of body fatness: age- and sex-specific prediction formulas. Br J Nutr 1991;65:105–114.
4. Dietz WH, Robinson TN. Clinical practice. Overweight children and adolescents. N Engl J Med 2005;352:2100–2109.
5. Holt N, Schetzina KE, Dalton WT, et al. Primary care practice addressing child overweight and obesity: a survey of primary care physicians at four clinics in southern Appalachia. South Med J 2011;104:14–19.
6. Cade J, O'Connell S. Management of weight problems and obesity: knowledge, attitudes, and current practice of general practitioners. Br J Gen Pract 1991;41:147–150.
7. Campbell K, Crawford D. Management of obesity: attitudes and practices of Australian dietitians. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2000;24:701–710.
8. Campbell K, Engel H, Timperio A, et al. Obesity management: Australian general practitioners' attitudes and practices. Obes Res 2000;8:459–466.
9. Kristeller JL, Hoerr RA. Physician attitudes toward managing obesity: differences among six specialty groups. Prev Med 1997;26:542–549.
10. Neumark-Sztainer D, Story M, Evans T, et al. Weight-related issues among overweight adolescents: what are health care providers doing? Top Clin Nutr 1999;14:62–68.
11. Story MT, Neumark-Stzainer DR, Sherwood NE, et al. Management of child and adolescent obesity: attitudes, barriers, skills, and training needs among health care professionals. Pediatrics 2002;110:210–214.
12. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Coronary heart disease mortality trends among whites and blacks—Appalachia and United States, 1980–1993. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep1998;47:1005–1015.
13. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Cancer death rates—Appalachia, 1994–1998. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2002;51:527–529.
14. Halverson JA, Ma L, Harner EJ, et al. Adult Obesity in Appalachia: An Atlas of Geographic Disparities. Morgantown, WV, West Virginia University, Prevention Research Center, Center for Healthy Communities, 2004.
15. Crooks DL. Food consumption, activity, and overweight among elementary school children in an Appalachian Kentucky community. Am J Phys Anthropol 2000;112:159–170.
16. Wu T, Wilson JL, Flowers JW, et al. Assessment of health risk behaviors among teens in an Appalachian community. Am J Epidemiol 2004;159:S019.
17. Trowbridge FL, Sofka D, Holt K, et al. Management of child and adolescent obesity: study design and practitioner characteristics. Pediatrics 2002;110:205–209.
18. Wu T, Tudiver F, Wilson JL, et al. Child obesity interventions in rural primary care practice: a survey of primary care providers in southern Appalachia. South Med J 2007;100:1099–1104.
19. American Academy of Pediatrics. AAP News. 93. Elk Grove Village, American Academy of Pediatrics, September 2001, vol 19.