1. Brown RT, Covinsky KE. Frailty as an outcome in geriatrics research: not ready for prime time? Ann Intern Med 2018;168:361–362.
2. Fried LP, Tangen CM, Walston J, et al. Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype. J Gerontol 2001;56:M146–M157.
3. Lai JC, Sonnenday CJ, Tapper EB, et al. Frailty in liver transplantation: an expert opinion statement from the American Society of Transplantation Liver and Intestinal Community of Practice. Am J Transplant 2019;19:1896–1906.
4. Ney M, Tangri N, Dobbs B, et al. Predicting hepatic encephalopathy-related hospitalizations using a composite assessment of cognitive impairment and frailty in 355 patients with cirrhosis. Am J Gastroenterol 2018;113:1–10.
5. European Association for the Study of the Liver. EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines on nutrition in chronic liver disease. J Hepatol 2019;70:172–193.
6. Meza-Junco J, Montano-Loza AJ, Baracos VE, et al. Sarcopenia as a prognostic index of nutritional status in concurrent cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma. J Clin Gastroenterol 2013;47:861–870.
7. Biswas A, Oh PI, Faulkner GE, et al. Sedentary time and its association with risk for disease incidence, mortality, and hospitalization in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2015;162:123–132.
8. Montano-Loza AJ, Meza-Junco J, Prado CM, et al. Muscle wasting is associated with mortality in patients with cirrhosis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2012;10:166–173.
9. Dasarathy S. Myostatin and beyond in cirrhosis: all roads lead to sarcopenia.
J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle 2017;8:864–869.
10. van Vugt JLA, Buettner S, Alferink LJM, et al. Low skeletal muscle mass is associated with increased hospital costs in patients with cirrhosis listed for liver transplantation—a retrospective study. Transpl Int 2018;31:165–174.
11. Villareal DT, Banks M, Sinacore DR, et al. Effect of weight loss and exercise on frailty in obese older adults. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:860–866.
12. Montano-Loza AJ, Angulo P, Meza-Junco J, et al. Sarcopenic obesity and myosteatosis are associated with higher mortality in patients with cirrhosis. J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle 2016;7:126–135.
13. Jang HC. Sarcopenia, frailty, and diabetes in older adults. Diabetes Metab J 2016;40:182–189.
14. Lai JC, Feng S, Terrault NA, et al. Frailty predicts waitlist mortality in liver transplant candidates. Am J Transplant 2014;14:1870–1879.
15. Rockwood K, Song X, MacKnight C, et al. A global clinical measure of fitness and frailty in elderly people. CMAJ 2005;173:489–495.
16. Tandon P, Tangri N, Thomas L, et al. A rapid bedside screen to predict unplanned hospitalization and death in outpatients with cirrhosis: a prospective evaluation of the clinical frailty scale. Am J Gastroenterol 2016;111:1759–1767.
17. Tapper EB, Finkelstein D, Mittleman MA, Piatkowski G, Lai M. Standard assessments of frailty are validated predictors of mortality in hospitalized patients with cirrhosis. Hepatology 2015;62:584–590.
18. Samoylova ML, Covinsky KE, Haftek M, et al. Disability in patients with end-stage liver disease: results from the functional assessment in liver transplantation study. Liver Transpl 2017;23:292–298.
19. Lai JC, Covinsky KE, Dodge JL, et al. Development of a novel frailty index to predict mortality in patients with end-stage liver disease. Hepatology 2017;66:564–574.
20. Prado CM, Lieffers JR, McCargar LJ, et al. Prevalence and clinical implications of sarcopenic obesity in patients with solid tumours of the respiratory and gastrointestinal tracts: a population-based study. Lancet Oncol 2008;9:629–635.
21. Shen W, Punyanitya M, Wang Z, et al. Total body skeletal muscle and adipose tissue volumes: estimation from a single abdominal cross-sectional image. J Appl Physiol 2004;97:2333–2338.
22. Carey EJ, Lai JC, Wang CW, et al. A multicenter study to define sarcopenia in patients with end-stage liver disease. Liver Transpl 2017;23:625–633.
23. Amodio P, Bemeur C, Butterworth R, et al. The nutritional management of hepatic encephalopathy in patients with cirrhosis: International Society for Hepatic Encephalopathy and Nitrogen Metabolism Consensus. Hepatology 2013;58:325–336.
24. Arora S, Mattina C, McAnenny C, et al. The development and validation of a nutritional prioritising tool for use in patients with chronic liver disease. J Hepatol 2012;56:S241.
25. Booi AN, Menendez J, Norton HJ, et al. Validation of a screening tool to identify undernutrition in ambulatory patients with liver cirrhosis. Nutr Clin Pract 2015;30:683–689.
26. Crow RS, Lohman MC, Titus AJ, et al. Association of obesity and frailty in older adults: NHANES 1999–2004. J Nutr Health Aging 2019;23:138–144.
27. Landré B, Czernichow S, Goldberg M, et al. Association between life-course obesity and frailty in older adults: findings in the GAZEL cohort. Obesity 2020;28:388–396.
28. Lai JC, Segev DL, McCulloch CE, et al. Physical frailty after liver transplantation. Am J Transplant 2018;18:1986–1994.
29. Grossmann M, Hoermann R, Gani L, et al. Low testosterone levels as an independent predictor of mortality in men with chronic liver disease. Clin Endocrinol 2012;77:323–328.
30. Sinclair M, Grossmann M, Hoermann R, et al. Testosterone therapy increases muscle mass in men with cirrhosis and low testosterone: a randomised controlled trial. J Hepatol 2016;65:906–913.
31. Sinclair M, Grossmann M, Gow PJ, et al. Testosterone in men with advanced liver disease: abnormalities and implications. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015;30:244–251.
32. Jahangiri Y, Pathak P, Tomozawa Y, et al. Muscle gain after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt creation: time course and prognostic implications for survival in cirrhosis. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2019;30:866–872.
33. Tandon P, Ismond KP, Riess K, et al. Exercise in cirrhosis: translating evidence and experience to practice. J Hepatol 2018;69:1164–1177.
35. Beste LA, Harp BK, Blais RK, et al. Primary care providers report challenges to cirrhosis management and specialty care coordination. Dig Dis Sci 2005;60:2628–2635.