1. Danesh J, Wheeler JG, Hirschfield GM, et al. C-reactive protein and other markers of inflammation in the prediction of coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med 2004;350:1387–1397.
2. Wannamethee SG, Lowe GD, Shaper AG, et al. Insulin resistance, haemostatic and inflammatory markers and coronary heart disease risk factors in type 2 diabetic men with and without coronary heart disease. Diabetalogia 2004;47(9):1557–1565.
3. Muntner P, He J, Chen J, Fonseca V, Whelton PK. Prevalence of non-traditional cardiovascular risk factors among persons with impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance, diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome: analysis of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). Ann Epidemiol 2004;14:686–695.
4. Hsueh WA, Quinones MJ. Role of endothelial dysfunction in insulin resistance. Am J Cardiol.2003;92:10J–17J.
5. Pearson TA, Mensah GA, Alexander RW, et al. Markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease: application to clinical and public health practice: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Association. Circulation2003;107:499–511.
6. Ridker PM, Cushman M, Stampfer MJ, et al. Inflammation, aspirin, and the risk of cardiovascular disease in apparently healthy men. N Engl J Med 1997;336:973–979. (Erratum, N Engl J Med1997;337:356).
7. Ridker PM, Rifai N, Rose L, Buring JE, Cook NR. Comparison of C-reactive protein and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in the prediction of first cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med2002;347:1557–1565.
8. Mosca L. C-reactive protein – to screen or not to screen? N Engl J Med 2002;347:1615–1617.
9. Hackam DG, Anand SS. Emerging risk factors for atherosclerotic vascular disease: a critical review of the evidence. JAMA 2003;290:932–940.
10. Ceriello A, Motz E. Is oxidative stress the pathogenic mechanism underlying insulin resistance, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease? The common soil hypothesis revisited. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2004;24:816–823.
11. Freeman DJ, Norrie J, Caslake MJ, et al. C-reactive protein is an independent predictor of risk for the development of diabetes in the West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study. Diabetes 2002;51:1596–1600.
12. Pradhan A, Manson J, Rifai N, et al. C-reactive protein, interleukin 6, and risk of developing type 2 diabetes mellitus. JAMA 2001;286:327–334.
13. Asakawa H, Tokunaga K, Kawakami F. Elevation of fibrinogen and thrombin-antithrombin III complex levels of type 2 diabetes patients with retinopathy and nephropathy. J Diabetes Complications 2000;14 (3):121–126.
14. Saraheimo M, Teppo AM, Forsblom C, et al. Diabetic nephropathy is associated with low-grade inflammation in type 1 diabetic patients. Diabetalogia 2003;46:1402–1407.
15. Stehouwer CDA, Gall M, Twisk JWR, et al. Increased urinary albumin excretion, endothelial dysfunction, and chronic low-grade inflammation in type 2 diabetes. Progressive, interrelated, and independently associated with risk of death. Diabetes 2002;51:1157–1165.
16. Duncan BB, Schmidt MI, Pankow JI, et al. Low-grade systemic inflammation and the development of type 2 diabetes. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. Diabetes 2003;52:1799–1805.
17. Tall AR. C-reactive protein reassessed. N Engl J Med 2004;350:1450–1452.
18. Bruno G, Cavallo-Perin P, Bargero G, et al. Hyperfibrinogenemia and metabolic syndrome in type 2 diabetes: a population-based study. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2001;17(2):124–130.
19. Carr ME. Diabetes mellitus: a hypercoagulable state. J Diabetes Complications 2001;15(1):44–54.
20. Takebayashi, K, et al. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein & plasma fibrinogen show different specificities as markers of individual complications in patients with type 2 diabetes. South Med J2006;99:23–27.
21. Streja D, Cressey P, Rabkin SW. Associations between inflammatory markers, traditional risk factors, and complications in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Diabetes Complications2003;17:120–127.
22. Bhatt DL, Topol EJ. Need to test the inflammation hypothesis. Circulation 2002;106:136–140.
23. Gaede P, Vedel P, Larsen N, et al. Multufactorial intervention and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2003;348:383–393.